• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Insanely low visibility at the moment - probably the lowest I've seen in years. I took my first measurement at 9:50 and I'll be taking them on the hour. Still hovering at 32/31. Fingers crossed that diabatic cooling and heavy precip rates can fight off the low level warming that is trying to push in at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klw said:

No, Windsor county.  We had been under an advisory yesterday when I last checked.https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=VTZ012&warncounty=VTC027&firewxzone=VTZ012&local_place1=West Norwich VT&product1=Winter+Storm+Warning&lat=43.7567&lon=-72.364#.YAL2oHpOmhA

it looks like the warning went up just before 4 this morning.

Ahh, I was thinking Norwich was in Orange County, but I see it’s actually in Windsor County, right on the Orange/Windsor line.  Where was your previous spot?  Windsor goes surprisingly far north!

11 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Insanely low visibility at the moment - probably the lowest I've seen in years. I took my first measurement at 9:50 and I'll be taking them on the hour. Still hovering at 32/31. Fingers crossed that diabatic cooling and heavy precip rates can fight off the low level warming that is trying to push in at the same time.

On the Mount Washington Regional meso net ...the temps have fallen half degree at 2200' in Jackson and Top of Cranmore, so i figured the Elevation for decent accumulation was dropping below 1200 or so near you

.https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/mount-washington-regional-mesonet.aspxV

32.4F  Light snow/sleet/rain.   2.25".   Main batch of precip is exiting.  Storm was all frozen until the very end.   Much of the snow feel at 32.5 to 33.4F so didn't add up to much but definately a net gain.  Perhaps wrap around moisture can give me a bit more tonight before the deep freeze.

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/0.83” L.E.

Well, Winter Storm Malcolm is certainly delivering in the liquid equivalent department here, with 0.83” of L.E. as of the 12:00 P.M. observations.  I’ve caught a lot of it in the snow cores thus far (0.60”), but when the snow is super waterlogged the way it is down at this elevation, you know there’s probably some liquid sneaking off the sides of the snowboards as it percolates though.  Thankfully the gauge is catching everything.  Thus far this has been a huge boon to bolstering the total liquid in the snowpack down here in the valley, and it should be even better for the resorts at elevation.  The precipitation here at our site was snow all morning, then a healthy mix of types at midday/observations time, but it’s transitioned back to all snow since then.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.45 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.4

Snow Density: 40.9% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Light Snow/Sleet/Rain

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

31 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Getting hard to tell because of drifting, but I just got multiple 7" measurements in the yard. I think we picked up at least 2.5" between noon and 1:00. Still 32F with heavy snow and it appears the back edge may be filling in a bit.

About the same here it appears. Getting crushed. 30 degrees. 

35 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I just got back from an afternoon session at the mountain, and even with just this first part of Winter Storm Malcolm, there’s really only one way to describe its impact for the resorts around here…

GameChanger.jpg

Yeah agreed.  We had 5” at 1500ft and 8” at 3000ft... and it contains a lot of water.  I think we can add 6-12” next 24 hours on the upslope. A perfect right side up storm... bread and butter on top of pot roast.

• Like 1

Pretty fun day out there. I’m at about 900’ and had a couple periods of heavy snow with massive flakes but it was so warm it was melting instantly. It’s about 2” of glop now. Rained a bit when the precip got lighter. Definitely going to build a nice base. Hoping for the upslope to really crank tonight and tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Ahh, I was thinking Norwich was in Orange County, but I see it’s actually in Windsor County, right on the Orange/Windsor line.  Where was your previous spot?  Windsor goes surprisingly far north!

Previous spot was Peacham which is in aCaledonia county, sw of St Johnsbury.  

Ended up with 3.0 inches before we dry slotted then went to snow/ rain then drizzle.

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Saw a 9.4" report out of an observer in the lower town part of Randolph. We will see what the observer up my way says tomorrow morning. I could see 10" for sure.

Is that the guy up at 1750ft on the report?

The lat/lon is pretty close but only at 1600ft.

I bet your property saw 8-10” for sure.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Is that the guy up at 1750ft on the report?

The lat/lon is pretty close but only at 1600ft.

I think it is a different person. NW Randolph is over in the actual town proper. It's a couple miles west and more like 1200' or so. There is definitely another observer over there as the guy closer to me has referenced his obs before in his daily write-ups. The guy near me is labeled 1.4 NE Randolph from what I have seen. If he's in the main town, he's not at 1600' unless he took a measurement somewhere on a trail or something. Sort of like the "Gorham" observer now reporting from the Hermit Lake Snowplot. LOL

We will see tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think it is a different person. NW Randolph is over in the actual town proper. It's a couple miles west and more like 1200' or so. There is definitely another observer over there as the guy closer to me has referenced his obs before in his daily write-ups. The guy near me is labeled 1.4 NE Randolph from what I have seen. If he's in the main town, he's not at 1600' unless he took a measurement somewhere on a trail or something. Sort of like the "Gorham" observer now reporting from the Hermit Lake Snowplot. LOL

We will see tomorrow.

Yeah, I now see the guy a couple hundred feet above you has been listed in past NWS Chat as RANDOLPH 1.4 NE 44.39N/71.27W 1775.   Good thump there for sure.

The latest 18z EURO actually has a more widespread look to precipitation between 7pm tonight and 7pm tomorrow night than just purely orographic.  This second part could be a fun event in it's own right.

ecmwf-deterministic-vt-precip_24hr_inch-0928000.thumb.png.3dd88b802b058c5b30960a8524464c98.png

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

HRRR keys more into the terrain though.  Mansfield to Jay Peak stretch should do quite well as ratios increase.  Ends with -12C 850mb temps which should promote some decent snow growth.

hrrr-vt-total_precip_inch-0899200.thumb.png.ddb2d1108de04efef95550d9a51511b9.png

I haven’t felt that the ECMWF model has picked up terrain nuances/upslope as well as many of the other models lately, for whatever reason.                 

Here’s the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Malcolm thus far, using data from areas that have made an afternoon update.  When MRG came in with 10” as I was working my way down, I figured totals would be well into the teens by the time I got to the southern part of the state, but there were notable ups and downs, and only modest additional increases topping out at the 12” mark.

Jay Peak: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 8”

Mad River Glen: 10”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 8”

Killington: 8”

Okemo: 11”

Bromley: 8”

Magic Mountain: 10”

Stratton: 12”

Mount Snow: 12”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jculligan said:

8" down as the precipitation starts to let up. Some pingers mixed in to add a little extra beefiness to the pack. Solid 12" on the ground now. Still holding at 32F. I know the valleys got skunked, but things finally seem right here at 1500 feet!

That's great for the local mountains there... probably enough for you to skin up the neighborhood hills?  That's a "game changer" for injecting a shot of frozen water into the snowpack.