Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The 5 days to start January have been almost hot relative to normal.  It just goes to show how low normal is this time of year than it can be so far above average and still snow... still keep snow on the ground.

BTV is a quick +10.5 over the past 5 days to start January, and Mansfield summit at +12.5.  Low diurnal changes likely the culprit.

Mansfield normal temps the past few days are 18/3... the actual 29/17.  Pretty impressive actually!  With a strong subsistence inversion those summit departures won't get much help through the first 7-10 days of January.

Way AN and with little temp contrast.  Had 32/19 on 1/1 and those remain the month's high and low.  1/1-5 is 8.2° AN, the max +2.6 nd the min +13.7.  Yesterday's inch of 20:1 fluff brought out the plow this morning. :P  Looks like we may see the sun today for a bit, something not in view since about noon last Friday.

Another solid inversion morning.

Absolutely bonkers gradient right now on the summit at Stowe...

3,600ft... 15F top of FourRunner Quad

4,000ft... 25F at MMNV1

The MMNV1 data is jumping all over the place, 5 degree swings in the 5min data.  A couple hours ago went from mid-teens to mid-20s... but still bouncing right at the inversion level.  It's either mid-20s above it or mid-teens below it.

Untitled.jpg.342531045803fc1672536bc10882275c.jpg

View from Whiteface in the Adirondacks this morning:

wfsummit.thumb.jpg.baa80502998337448e128640c469c6f3.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Felt pretty chilly out there today at Cannon. Hope the snow returns soon. I am blown away by the stats posted here. Turns out we should be a heck of a lot colder than we have been. It’s hard for me to judge this with it being my first winter here. 

It's been one long late November/early December

6 hours ago, alex said:

Mother nature teasing us again with the nightly dusting. What a b--- :)

Snowing in town this morning and up to about 1,500ft.... Grooming team on radio telling me they have clear skies above about 2,500-3,000ft.  "It's been snowing about halfway up the hill at times tonight and then you drive out of it."

It's crazy how good the snow growth was this morning driving in for coming out of a cloud that's only like 1,000ft thick.  Only a dusting but those were legit big flakes, the type when you hit your high beams it looks like you are driving a space shuttle.

This inversion has been bonkers this week.

Event totals: 0.1”/Trace L.E.

With the snow accumulation I saw on the boards this morning, it was tough trying to figure out if it was still attributed to the cutoff circulation over eastern Canada, or something else.  Based on the BTV NWS forecast discussion though, they really speak of the moisture trapped under the inversion layer, and dry air aloft, so this is being attributed to the inversion layer moisture barring some changes in the discussion.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 19.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Snowing in town this morning and up to about 1,500ft.... Grooming team on radio telling me they have clear skies above about 2,500-3,000ft.  "It's been snowing about halfway up the hill at times tonight and then you drive out of it."

It's crazy how good the snow growth was this morning driving in for coming out of a cloud that's only like 1,000ft thick.  Only a dusting but those were legit big flakes, the type when you hit your high beams it looks like you are driving a space shuttle.

Thanks so much for these observations PF.  I had already made my decision on the source of this snowfall for my storm records based on the BTV NWS AFD (although I had to make a best guess because they didn’t really mention it at all).  Your observations from up high and down in the valley confirmed it though – today’s snow definitely comes from moisture under the inversion layer vs. persistent moisture from that system lingering in eastern Canada.

15 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Felt pretty chilly out there today at Cannon. Hope the snow returns soon. I am blown away by the stats posted here. Turns out we should be a heck of a lot colder than we have been. It’s hard for me to judge this with it being my first winter here. 

Nov was 2° AN here and Dec +4.  Jan 1-8 is running +9 with minima at +14.  At least the ground is white.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Same here. Actual legit fat flakes that stack up easily, and pretty widespread. It was even a big more in Littleton than here!

It's funny that this period of no weather whatsoever is turning out cloudy with daily flurries. We've managed to see no sun in a week lol

36 minutes ago, alex said:

Same here. Actual legit fat flakes that stack up easily, and pretty widespread. It was even a big more in Littleton than here!

It's funny that this period of no weather whatsoever is turning out cloudy with daily flurries. We've managed to see no sun in a week lol

Been sunny all week up high lol.  MWN with 100+ mile visibility.

Skiing this morning was wild, sunny up top and beautiful, freezing fog in the mid-slope and then snowing in the base area.