Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Totally nitpicking here, but given the general uniform snow totals with this event from mountain peaks to lower elevations, two spots stand out.

The ski areas giving a large range don’t really make sense to me when the others are showing tight 0-1” ranges from top to bottom.  MRG said 4-8”, which sounds more like a forecast than a snow total and Smuggs said 6-9”.

I’m definitely OCD (:lol:) but those feel like “mailing it in” reports.  How much snow is out there? “Ehh it’s somewhere between 4 and 8 inches.”  Or the old “we have 6 at the bottom so add a couple/few for the top.”

Oh, I totally agree that those stood out, even in just reporting the upper elevation numbers as I usually do for my lists.  It’s one of the reasons I like to put these north to south summaries together though – it lets one see the snowfall trends and deviations around here with respect to latitude.  Sometimes the ups and downs make sense, and sometimes they’re not as straightforward.  It’s really cool to have the spine of the Greens running 250 miles with all the resorts giving high elevation observations though.  They’re not going to have the rigor of something like a first-order station in their observations of course, but they give a decent idea of what went on with each storm up and down the state.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Melted 0.61" here in the valley on 5.5" snow.  Pretty consistent with models showing 0.5-0.75" QPF.

Wow, that's pretty darned consistent with what I got - essentially the exact same 9 to 1 snow to L.E. ratio for the overall storm.

13 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Wow, that's pretty darned consistent with what I got - essentially the exact same 9 to 1 snow to L.E. ratio for the overall storm.

Noticed that.  I also think the consistency is pretty much identical at the mountain.  The drive from the ski area to town didn't seem to change at all right after the snowfall.  I think it was pretty uniform.. 5-7" swath.  Similar water equiv over a large area?  The models had a large area of uniform QPF, more so than usual IMO. 

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mount Mansfield snow depth at the COOP stake went from 10" to 16" in the daily records.  That fits with most snowfall observations, with a hearty half a foot of snow.  Probably won't settle much.  Still a very low tide snowpack on the whole.

16”, man that’s weak for the beginning of January. 

4 hours ago, alex said:

So, since nobody cares in the other forums... what's the thinking on upslope this week? Looks like we are mostly out of synoptic threats, but with low pressure heading up the GoM I would think there is some upslope chances. Gyx doesn't seem enthusiastic. Thoughts? 

As others have noted, it looks like that system will be too far east to really push much upslope back into NNE, but there’s potential snow associated with the front side of the system tonight, and the BTV NWS discusses the chances for snow showers for the first half of the week.  Looking at the models, they’re apparently referring to the bit of moisture that the storm does push back this way even though it’s relatively far off shore.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

936 AM EST Sun Jan 3 2021

.SYNOPSIS...

Dry for much of today, then another storm system will bring the chance for some light snow tonight into Monday. Most will see less than an inch, with parts of south central Vermont seeing around 1 to 3 inches. The potential for light snow showers will continue through mid-week, along with temperatures near seasonal normals. Chances for snow showers diminish across the latter half of this week.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Newfound Lake,  NH's 5th largest lake is wide open.   It's a deep lake but usually is icing over by now

Slept at our cottage last nite on winnisquam (#4), no ice. Waukewan had significant amount of ice and Wickwas seemed to fully closed.

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This looks pretty interesting all the sudden.  Those are some solid returns coming up from the south for this great snow growth.

I bet J.Spin is now seeing 1"/hr rates at least as it just moved over the Interstate/Winooski Valley corridor.

Jan_3_730pm.gif.9acd8f4189705934ab90d1b97c3593e9.gif

•  

That reached us as well. I was driving back from grocery shopping and the roads got pretty slick. 2” measured when I got home. 

03FBA438-8085-48CA-9B3B-9F6D376D61E0.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That reached us as well. I was driving back from grocery shopping and the roads got pretty slick. 2” measured when I got home. 

03FBA438-8085-48CA-9B3B-9F6D376D61E0.jpeg

Awesome, looks just like a wall of snow moved up through central VT.

Really snowing out here now.  Seems very high ratio stuff.

Jan_3_815pm_composite.gif

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This looks pretty interesting all the sudden.  Those are some solid returns coming up from the south for this great snow growth.

I bet J.Spin is now seeing 1"/hr rates at least as it just moved over the Interstate/Winooski Valley corridor.

Jan_3_730pm.gif.9acd8f4189705934ab90d1b97c3593e9.gif

We’ve definitely had some solid snowfall rates at times this evening – I’d look out and see what definitely looked like 1”/hr snow.  We haven’t had that rate consistently of course, but I see 1.5–2” of accumulation on the boards since this event started and we’ve got snowfall that seems pretty close to 1”/hr at the moment.