• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

I checked the boards at ~8:00 A.M. and found 1.4” of accumulation since the 6:00 A.M. analysis/clearing, snowfall rate has averaged ~¾”/hr. during the period.  That’s definitely the average of some slower and faster snowfall periods though, because there was a time earlier where the snowfall had lightened up considerably.

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Still snowing very lightly.   3.25"   Brings me to  33.50".     If I average about 85" per year seems like I'm running not to far from normal.  Seems far below that.  Thankfully the  big Dec storm  made all the difference

If Grinch hadn't happened, I would have 15-17" OTG now and would have had continuous coverage since early December. I think that damned storm skewed a lot of perceptions.

• Like 2

Randolph should be around 48" after this storm (we will see exactly how much the CoCoRaHS guy measures). 

The normal (in the 11 year record) through this time is about 55", but there are some anomalous numbers in the record (like November 2018) that skew the mean with the small data set. Either way, not too far off average so far. 

The early week deal could get me to average, but it will need to overperform in the upslope department. Seems like the sort of setup where it snows light to moderate basically all week and adds up to 6"?

Event totals: 5.5” Snow/0.64” L.E.

It looks like we’re into the next phase of the storm now, and I can see on the radar that moisture appears to be coming in more from the northwest.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.25 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.6

Snow Density: 10.4% H2O

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Snow (5 to 20 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I like this look for upslope, ha.

ecmwf-deterministic-neng-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-9891200.thumb.png.7eb4fe9721d24e682262e4bbbcc58144.png

56 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The early week deal could get me to average, but it will need to overperform in the upslope department. Seems like the sort of setup where it snows light to moderate basically all week and adds up to 6"?

If the low pressure sits in the Gulf of Maine, or anywhere from there up to Northern Maine, or the Gaspé, or even the Maritimes, a period of extended upslope snow is a possibility.  Low pressure sitting in Northern Maine can be great for the Northern Greens, but any of those places can deliver if they wrap around moisture from the Atlantic and get that northwest flow into the mountains here.  Decent positioning for upslope can vary depending on the storm’s extent of circulation, wind direction at different levels, and various other factors.  And I’m sure the different upslope zones here in the mountains of NNE will have different optimal setups for their snow.

It’s kind of like an extra insurance policy on some systems if the front side snow misses or ends up being a dud.  Naturally, the snowiest scenarios are when you get walloped by the initial pass of the storm and then the storm sits in a position to deliver upslope.  That’s when the mountains here can get feet upon feet of snow.

What you don’t want to see (if you want to get the most out of that bonus upslope snow) is a system that skirts along the coast and then simply maintains that latitude and heads east.  I think we had one of those earlier this season.

As PF’s map shows, some models do suggest the potential for upslope with this next system if it hangs out off the coast.  It can happen just as you say though, with light snows for an extended period.  Sometimes you can get moderate, or even heavy snows, but this setup doesn’t look like that at this point.

Was out skiing so haven't followed the storm evolution much - plus nobody cares about upslope in the main thread. It stopped snowing for a while but now it's back to SN+. Is this upslope? Radar seems clear which would indicate upslope but the wind seems from the east which is not an upslope direction (also not sure how reliable of an observation that is since there is no wind at all)

Measured 2.0" at 7 AM with 0.20" LE.  Snow appeared to stop (very few very tiny things, maybe with frdz mixed) at noon so at 12:15 I measured total OG - 6.0" - and cleared the board again - 4.0" from 0.40" LE.  Many years ago in Psych 101 the instructor stated that one who was perfectly normal in all aspects was the most abnormal of persons.  Works the same for snowstorms?
Light snow the past 45 minutes may accumulate a couple tenths on the board but I doubt it will increase total depth, just move the storm ratio below 10.

Boosts season total to 17.3", about 2/3 the average for season to date.

Ended up with 5.7" out of this event. It looks like we have some opportunities to pick up an inch or two here and there over the next few days (tomorrow night then potentially again on Tuesday) which should keep things looking fresh at least. No deep arctic air in sight, but no big rain storms/thaws either. I can do without either, so I think in general we're looking far better than we have for the last few weeks. 

Event totals: 5.8” Snow/0.65” L.E.

That should be it from Winter Storm John at our site, so the final numbers are 5.8” snow from 0.65” L.E., for an overall snow to L.E. ratio of ~9.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 26.2 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

I’ve put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm John.  It’s interesting to note that totals fell off as on heads south, as expected with the intrusion of mixed precipitation, but after bottoming out in the Okemo area, the totals increased a bit heading southward.

Jay Peak: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 9”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 4”

Killington: 4”

Okemo: 1”

Bromley: 2”

Magic Mountain: 3”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 4”

58 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I’ve put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm John. 

Jay Peak: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 9”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 6”

Totally nitpicking here, but given the general uniform snow totals with this event from mountain peaks to lower elevations, two spots stand out.

The ski areas giving a large range don’t really make sense to me when the others are showing tight 0-1” ranges from top to bottom.  MRG said 4-8”, which sounds more like a forecast than a snow total and Smuggs said 6-9”.

I’m definitely OCD (:lol:) but those feel like “mailing it in” reports.  How much snow is out there? “Ehh it’s somewhere between 4 and 8 inches.”  Or the old “we have 6 at the bottom so add a couple/few for the top.”