Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

46 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Do you have the jay depth info?

There's some COOP data for Jay Peak for a period in the 90s and 2000s, but it was stopped at some point.  I haven't seen it graphed.

But there are some fun Decembers in there.  Love some of these observations during the good times.  38" in 24 hours with 67" on the ground for December 15, 2003. 

These are from 2,200ft I think, around the base area.  Jay does get a lot of inches of snowfall, snow depth is another thing but inch for inch out of the sky, I think they take the top slot in New England on average.

JayPeak1.jpg.65eecad64bd1a9f9376f0a90c7be341e.jpg

• Thanks 1

Front came through half an hour ago.   Peak wind in warm sector part of the storm was 33mph.   Just had a gust to 34mph.  Pretty meh winds all and all. 

Rainfall 1.65"  which was a full 1" less than the models were predicting

Snow patches from plowed areas but my guess is 50% to 75% of snowcover remains down below and in the woods.  

15 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Front came through half an hour ago.   Peak wind in warm sector part of the storm was 33mph.   Just had a gust to 34mph.  Pretty meh winds all and all. 

Rainfall 1.65"  which was a full 1" less than the models were predicting

Snow patches from plowed areas but my guess is 50% to 75% of snowcover remains down below and in the woods.  

Very different storm there from here. I gusted to 60 overnight and recorded 3 inches of liquid. 

3.34" ended up being the storm total rainfall in my location. Just narrowly pushed past the 11/30-12/1 event (3.33") to make this the largest precipitation event since I moved here in August. Too bad absolutely none of it was frozen.

It sounds like this event took an enormous toll on the mountains around here, as most of them are on delayed opening this morning. I've been skiing both on and off piste in NH for much of the last decade, and this is about as grim as I have seen this late into December. I managed to score some backcountry turns on Mount Cardigan last Wednesday thanks to the monster storm on 12/17 but this recent event has definitely eliminated any potential backcountry skiing for now. I think I'm heading over to Bretton Woods for some uphill laps on what's left of the piste later this morning.

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I know JSpin mentioned it but our best shot for some fresh white on the ground is the lake effect streamer that should develop.  These like to align down the Winooski Valley gap in the mountains, and can give JSpin a quick 3” of snow in an hour lol.

F1A6DE02-8D37-4D54-996E-869CCD257F60.thumb.png.d023c7cedeebbd69e173bfa6ef2ee61a.png

There was a trace of snow that whitened the ground a bit here this morning, but as far as I can tell, that, and that touch of front side snow from Wednesday, was all we picked up from Winter Storm Harold at our site.

Potential snow from the lakes looks to be the next opportunity as you noted – Lake Effect Snow Warnings and Winter Weather Advisories are visible on the BTV NWS alerts map off to the west.  That doesn’t mean the snow will necessarily make it over here, but it’s always a good sign that a decent event is going on for Lake Ontario, so the moisture is around.

After that, there’s a potential small system to watch Monday into Tuesday.

My wife got me a weather station for Christmas. Nothing fancy like a Davis just an Ambient WS-7078 but it will be more than good enough for my already decidedly unscientific observations. Amazingly, this is my first weather station. I’ve always been too cheap to buy one. I’m going to set it up today. I think I’m going to do it, at least temporarily, on my deck rail. It’s not the best place as it will be less than 10’ from the house and will be 12’-15’ above ground. I have a spot in the back yard that will be better but I want to clear some brush and a couple of small trees before I put it there. It will be interesting to see the comparison with KMPV which is on the opposite hill about 5 miles away. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My wife got me a weather station for Christmas. Nothing fancy like a Davis just an Ambient WS-7078 but it will be more than good enough for my already decidedly unscientific observations. Amazingly, this is my first weather station. I’ve always been too cheap to buy one. I’m going to set it up today. I think I’m going to do it, at least temporarily, on my deck rail. It’s not the best place as it will be less than 10’ from the house and will be 12’-15’ above ground. I have a spot in the back yard that will be better but I want to clear some brush and a couple of small trees before I put it there. It will be interesting to see the comparison with KMPV which is on the opposite hill about 5 miles away. 

Nice.  I have not had a top tier weather station either, my only issue with the weather stations I have had is the Temp reading in full sun, the ones I have had are skewed really bad on the high side since they don't have FARS like the DAVIS and whatever else the top models use to combat the solar warming aspect of temps.  Now, my last one I bought was like 10 years ago, so it's been a while, maybe all levels of home systems are better now.  My rain sensor has been broken for years, but think most home stations now a days should still be fairly accurate.

Obviously Dendrite is the go to guru on all things weather stations. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I know JSpin mentioned it but our best shot for some fresh white on the ground is the lake effect streamer that should develop.

We had a decent amount of sun earlier this morning, but it clouded up pretty quickly over the last hour or so, and we’ve got some flakes falling now.  You can definitely see the quick approach of that moisture from the west on the radar:

26DEC20A.gif

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

There's some COOP data for Jay Peak for a period in the 90s and 2000s, but it was stopped at some point.  I haven't seen it graphed.

But there are some fun Decembers in there.  Love some of these observations during the good times.  38" in 24 hours with 67" on the ground for December 15, 2003. 

These are from 2,200ft I think, around the base area.  Jay does get a lot of inches of snowfall, snow depth is another thing but inch for inch out of the sky, I think they take the top slot in New England on average.

That’s been the biggest problem this year is retention.  I’m still optimistic that as we get deeper into the next few weeks, something will break for a good 10-20 inches.  It would really have to be historically bad to fight climatology well int Jan.  But yeah, I’m missing the weeks with snow in the area 5 or 6 days in a row that adds up to a foot or two.  The consistency is what I’m craving right now.  I bet we do see one of those dec 2003 days by the time this winter is done.  Extremes usually balance out with other extremes.  Did you hear about the stateside moving carpet getting blown about 10 feet to right up here?  Closed for “maintenance”...almost have to laugh...complete washout of natural trails and nothing can go right this year.  Such a great place that is just having such a bad year.  

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Their COOP forms were always a joke. Everything was always rounded off and you can tell they estimated the liquid equiv. Like oh this is fluff so we’ll call this 12” 0.60”. Or this is a heavier fluff we’ll call it 15” 1.50”. Just lazy. Then in the comments they never mention rain in even the cuttiest of cutters...but they never failed to mention flurries. It looked like reports on their site. Hopefully BTV told them to pound sand.

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Their COOP forms were always a joke. Everything was always rounded off and you can tell they estimated the liquid equiv. Like oh this is fluff so we’ll call this 12” 0.60”. Or this is a heavier fluff we’ll call it 15” 1.50”. Just lazy. Then in the comments they never mention rain in even the cuttiest of cutters...but they never failed to mention flurries. It looked like reports on their site. Hopefully BTV told them to pound sand.

Wow, I never knew it was the resort running that Co-Op.  I just figured it was an independent individual living up there in the condos or something.  I always assumed that to be at the level of an official Co-Op, you really had to be thoroughly trained, committed, and very objective.  Also, from what I’ve seen, you also have to be specifically selected and vetted by the NWS to cover a location that they deem necessary to provide public information as part of their network.

12 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Wow, I never knew it was the resort running that Co-Op.  I just figured it was an independent individual living up there in the condos or something.  I always assumed that to be at the level of an official Co-Op, you really had to be thoroughly trained, committed, and very objective.  Also, from what I’ve seen, you also have to be specifically selected and vetted by the NWS to cover a location that they deem necessary to provide public information as part of their network.

Yeah I figured it would be like an individual up there interested in weather, like I do on Mansfield with a respect for the science.  I find it hard to believe a COOP designation would be given to a marketing department lol.  I thought it was a resident up there in their village area.

8 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was probably a bit harsh. They’re volunteers. I’m not sure where exactly the obs were taken. You can see the estimated liquid equivalent in the forms though. 
AEC6A3B5-973D-4CCE-BA6B-EA7D6D0DA77F.jpeg