• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Gyx had a graphic that showed Washington having 10” depth and Concord, Nh 17”. I  imagine that is unusual thou I figure the Washington measurement is subject to the wind blowing the snow away? 

Between this cutter and models showing something similar Potential NYE it’s really a groin kick (I hope NYE can trend flat) 0z euro took a triple point under SNE

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

28.4°

:lol: What a CAD pit..

Mid 20s most of the night here and winds mostly calm as South winds are really the only winds that don't do anything at my location. Once they turn SE then its all over..ha

I was at 35F and jumped to 41F in like 30 seconds with just a minimal  gust and then goes calm and drops back down.  I see DDH and BTV and blowing pretty good out of the south.

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Couple years ago I had like 3.5" of rain with only like a 12" pack and didn't wipe it out. I feel like it only went down to like 6"?  I cant remember the details, but it was obviously a colder cutter. 

Probably a 34 degree job. This thing has the temps, rainfall, wind, dews, and duration to be a legendary pack annihilator. It’s already drip, drip, drip here and there is still some sun poking through...

15 hours ago, alex said:

They do it here all the time, it's annoying as f--k. First few times I've run out of my house in panic at the sight of a plane coming straight for us just a few hundred feet high. I guess the White Mountains are a good training ground because there are plenty of places to abandon the plane if needed. Eek. It's kinda cool now that I know, but scary at the same time. 

It is also probably because it upsets the fewest people.  

Up to 35F  here we go...

Few musings

I have watched Alex's cam for the past few years.  From this period through the next 60 days I have only seen partial bare ground a few times.  So even if this storm wipes the pack out, snowshowers will return Saturday to recoat.   Not a great pattern but some more snow Monday. We will not mention another potential cutter later next week.  

My pond has not been full since last June.  It will be interesting to see if a foot pack can melt plus 2.5" of rain will fill it up.  Some extreme runoff tomorrow morning down my hill.  Ground should be frozen so it all has to run into my culvert into my pond.  Will be fun to watch

Alex,  I erased your PWS out of my favorites.  I have your cam but do you have the link?

Phin  do you have a PWS that uploads to the web?

Merry Christmas to all NNE Peeps!

Gene

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

It is also probably because it upsets the fewest people.  

Usually.  Long ago (1978) we had a sizable fire of incendiary origin NW from Allagash village.  I was on patrol to prevent/report (I had neither training nor authority for law enforcement) any more suspicious fires when I saw some fighter jockey from downcountry come blazing down the Little Black River valley at nearly the same altitude as the 2 Hueys doing water drops.  I heard later that the Maine Forest Service radios nearly melted from the commentary.  :o

I've only lost a 12" pack in January once, in January 1995.  The snow had already compacted to 8" when we had 3 days that averaged 25° AN, with 0.4" RA to help.  Only needed the 1st 2 to finish the melt, as day 2 was 51/45, by far (8°) the mildest Jan minimum I've experienced in Maine.

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Couple years ago I had like 3.5" of rain with only like a 12" pack and didn't wipe it out. I feel like it only went down to like 6"?  I cant remember the details, but it was obviously a colder cutter. 

Edit: Jan 2019. Some pretty bad flooding locally 

FB_IMG_1548429129580_resize_1.thumb.jpg.639d085b73317e1ead6e40af19fcab03.jpg

1/24/19?

Got up to 52F here and had 1.58" of rain. Pack went from 11" to 7".

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Up to 35F  here we go...

Few musings

I have watched Alex's cam for the past few years.  From this period through the next 60 days I have only seen partial bare ground a few times.  So even if this storm wipes the pack out, snowshowers will return Saturday to recoat.   Not a great pattern but some more snow Monday. We will not mention another potential cutter later next week.  

My pond has not been full since last June.  It will be interesting to see if a foot pack can melt plus 2.5" of rain will fill it up.  Some extreme runoff tomorrow morning down my hill.  Ground should be frozen so it all has to run into my culvert into my pond.  Will be fun to watch

Alex,  I erased your PWS out of my favorites.  I have your cam but do you have the link?

Phin  do you have a PWS that uploads to the web?

Merry Christmas to all NNE Peeps!

Gene

Sure thing! https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNHCARRO4

Merry Xmas!

8 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Edit: Jan 2019. Some pretty bad flooding locally 

FB_IMG_1548429129580_resize_1.thumb.jpg.639d085b73317e1ead6e40af19fcab03.jpg

The crazy thing is how little river ice there is, even in NNE.  It's been warm.  There's some ice but nothing like most years even for Christmas.  Rivers in the mountains by this time can have some pretty thick ice with just a narrow channel of moving water visible.  No real threat of ice jams with this one it seems.

34 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Pretty impressive Upslope rains into the foothills of the Adirondacks pretty much all day

Snow
melting as well since temperatures and dew points are rising
through the 40s and in some areas have reached the 50s. Warm
area will continue to spread into our region through the night.
However, KGFL and and some areas around Lake George and the
northern Saratoga Region are in the upper 30s to around 40 with
nearly calm winds due to wind blocked by terrain and inversions
due to snow pack. 
  • Like 1

A bit windy a top of Mt Washington.   From their site

Winds will continue to ramp up overnight, and into Friday. Winds will remain sustained above the century mark through tonight until Friday morning. Gusts at this time look to be tapping into the 160s and 170s and some models are indicating that as a low-level jet passes, a few gusts could surpass 180 mph. However, most models have this jet passing to our south, so it is likely that gusts around the 170 mark seem more plausible

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

1/24/19?

Got up to 52F here and had 1.58" of rain. Pack went from 11" to 7".

Yea, that's the date. Didn't realize it was that warm. Must have been shorter lived than this torch. I do recall it was firehose SW flow upsloping into the Taconics and Greens in SVT. 3-5" here while Albany downsloped hard and had like .30" or something absurd.