Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

36 minutes ago, Patriot21 said:

Currently sitting at 9, hope to get first subzero reading of the winter.  Lost power for about 5 hours this morning, guess the wind took a tree down? Not sure. 

We lost power for an hour or so. I’m only a quarter mile away from a substation so this was actually one of the longer outages we’ve had. 

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We lost power for an hour or so. I’m only a quarter mile away from a substation so this was actually one of the longer outages we’ve had. 

Our power gets back relatively quickly as well, I don't think I've had power lost for more than 8 hours. Are you Washington electric?

Didn't quite hit the negatives here, but 2F was cold enough for me. As the clouds arrive in advance of tonight/tomorrow's event, I'm thinking today will likely be the first day that fails to reach 20F here.

It's hard to project exactly how this event is going to break in my area. The Canadian/NAM continued the pronounced northward trend, and both deliver a solid 6"+ event here. The GFS/Euro halted the northward progression, and are much leaner overall with about 2" give or take. The RGEM shifted south a hair, but still has a solid event.

In my operational forecasting days, it would be hard to dispute a GFS/Euro consensus. The EC Ensembles do yield a higher mean total here than the operational run, while the GEFS is pretty consistent with the op. It I were to go public with a forecast for my hood, I'd probably start with 2-4" using the Euro/GFS blend as my minimum value while allowing for somewhat higher totals to allow for a last minute tick north based on the EC ensembles. It's pretty obvious that the real fun will be south of here.

Models (particularly the Canadian/RGEM) have been suggesting some mid-level fronto banding, and if that comes to fruition someone in the AQW-EEN-CON-SFM corridor could really cash in.

• Like 1

I hadn’t even been paying attention to this next storm (Winter Storm Gail) because the general discussion I’d seen earlier suggested it was pretty much a Mid-Atlantic thing, but then Phin popped into the thread and said not to sleep on it up here.  That was a timely wake up call, because it does actually look like we could even get a bit of snow this far north.  I’ve got the latest BTV NWS maps for the storm below.  There are Winter Storm Warnings and Winter Weather Advisories farther south in VT, and the projected accumulations map seems generally in line with the roughly 2-4” in the point forecast for our location.

16DEC20A.jpg

16DEC20B.jpg

2 hours ago, alex said:

The whole ski hill is shrouded in snowmaking fog, and we've actually gotten some drifting all the way to my house lol! Free snowmaking for my yard, Yey!

You let the cat out of the bag.  No wonder you post big numbers.  Subtract a foot from your yearly totals!!!

4 minutes ago, alex said:

LOL that'd be cool. It was more like 0.005"... at first I thought - man, that is some HEAVY frost! Then noticed the clouds of snizzle coming at times from the mountain

PF could answer this question,

Given the same conditions other than wind is snow blowing more effective in calm conditions or with wind?  I have always thought calm conditions would be more helpful so I am surprised you have have any snow dust at all.  How far is the closest slope to you?   1/2 mile??

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

PF could answer this question,

Given the same conditions other than wind is snow blowing more effective in calm conditions or with wind?  I have always thought calm conditions would be more helpful so I am surprised you have have any snow dust at all.  How far is the closest slope to you?   1/2 mile??

That's about right. Less to West Mountain, but they're not blowing snow there

• Like 1