Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

As much as I would have loved to have gotten more snow, I'm pretty happy to not have go out and clear trails like that.

Those pics reminded me of clearing trails on state land in Gray/New Gloucester a few days after the 1998 ice storm.  Not as many trees on the trail but they were bigger ones, sometimes cross-piled or under heavy tension, making the work challenging.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

All projects are having blow down concerns, This was a bad one for trees.

58 minutes ago, mreaves said:

As much as I would have loved to have gotten more snow, I'm pretty happy to not have go out and clear trails like that.

Yeah we're hoping that some of the birches and alders bounce back that aren't touching the ground with the few days of sun this week. If not this will be worse than the December 2011 smaller ice/snow storm we had up here, we worked our asses off for a few weeks then it barely snowed the rest of the winter.... 

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

We’ve got steady light snow here, so if the usual trends you talk about hold up, you should have snow falling again before too long.

LOL yep. Had some breaks in the clouds but didn't last long, back to light snow with some filtered sunshine. 

It's funny how some weeks it just "wants to snow." 

1 minute ago, TheMainer said:

Yeah we're hoping that some of the birches and alders bounce back that aren't touching the ground with the few days of sun this week. If not this will be worse than the December 2011 smaller ice/snow storm we had up here, we worked our asses off for a few weeks then it barely snowed the rest of the winter.... 

This weekend system may not help either, Could actually make things worse

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice to have a couple Advisory events on the Euro through Day 5-6.

I think the ski areas do well over the next 72 hours too.  That’s got “the look”.

Then we have whatever the weekend does.

9FC1394D-7F30-46A1-93C6-2EAA7514D342.thumb.png.5e69482b29a1ffbc3453b0d6f0f58f03.png

It’s too bad the Euro is just awful so far this year.  This was gone in six hours

There has been lots of posts about posters locations and microclimates.  I will find any excuse to fly my drone.  Below are 3 clips of NH posters

First one is around my property.  Took this 4 years ago during peak foliage

Second clip is over Randolph Hill,  Phins area.  Took this clip a couple of weeks ago

Third clip is over Alex's area at Bretton Woods this past September.  The Moose Lodge compound is where the wedding tent is setup along the Androscoggin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheMainer said:

About 15 years ago, we undertook a 10 year plan to widen and smooth out our 40 miles of trail.  It took longer than 10 years but it was worth it.  Our trails weave in an around some granite quarries and the piles of waste rock so its not always easy to smooth the trails.

12z gfs definitely ticked colder for the weekend event. Appears to form a triple point low over Cape Cod Sunday morning which maintains a light east to northeast surface flow for many of us through a good portion of the day. Mid-level temps are a bit warm for snow in most areas (with the exception of Coos County into Maine at the onset Saturday evening)...but I would imagine this is a problematic setup in terms of freezing rain for CAD-prone areas Saturday night into Sunday morning.

gfs_ice.PNG

gfs_snow.PNG

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.05” L.E.

The current snow from this system is a notable change from what we’ve been seeing over the past few days – the flakes here are relatively small, with a definite synoptic feel.  The density of the noontime core came in at 8.0% H2O, which is higher than anything I’ve recorded in a couple of weeks.  This snow is definitely adding more substance to the snowpack though.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5

Snow Density: 8.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 to 3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.5 inches

-12F to +30F in 15 mins. Peter Sinks gone wild.

Time
(MST)
2.8m Temperature
° F
4.4m Wind Speed
 mph
4.4m Wind Gust
 mph
4.4m Wind Direction Solar Radiation
 W/m*m
Battery voltage
 volt
Quality
Control
10:00 37.3 8.5 12.7 NNE 300.8 14.91 Caution
9:45 30.1 6.1 15.8 NNE 263.5 14.92 Caution
9:30 -12.0 0.2 2.9 E 135.2 13.35 Caution
9:15 -18.8 0.1 1.7 SSW 90.0 13.03 Caution
9:00 -21.8 0.0 0.0   99.8 12.27 Caution
8:45 -22.8 0.0 0.0   23.8 12.21 Caution
8:30 -23.6 0.0 0.0   25.3 12.19 Caution
8:15 -24.6 0.0 0.0   16.2 12.16 Caution
8:00 -25.6 0.0 0.0   9.3 12.17 Caution
7:45 -26.0 0.0 0.0   3.7 12.21 Caution
7:30 -26.4 0.0 0.0   0.7 12.08 Caution

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty consistent moisture feed into the Spine.  We should see it go all night.

BB635B0D-EEE5-470B-AC36-FF85274E26B7.gif.1180faed21d851209ca7a4c96a0d36e4.gif

That sounds great.  We’ve generally had rather small, synoptic-style flakes until about an hour or so ago, when we started getting larger, ½” – 1” flakes.  That allowed the rate of accumulation to pick up a bit, so we’re at around 2” now.  This next round of accumulation will likely come in below the roughly 12:1 snow density from this morning, since the stack it should have a mix of flake sizes in there.

Stowe Village is just insanely beautiful right now.  I can't believe how lucky we've been this week with snowfall.... we missed the big storm but the orographic insurance policy has come through. 

Still more snow on the ground under 1,000ft than above 1,500ft :lol:.  I mean we'd spend days tracking this type of snowfall.... almost all of this was un-modeled snow.

2L8A7866_edited-2-1.jpg.aadd20c04d938a3a1098f76cb44ff697.jpg

2L8A7860_edited-2-1.jpg.7d29d68e674a82f49336b31fab71f480.jpg

2L8A7856_edited-2-1.jpg.9ae287d52fef99e0c860d3b5b16f7c87.jpg

• Like 2

Light snow on and off. Not much to speak of yet from this event, but it whitened things up again with a sparkly dust and it’s ALWAYS nice to see flakes in the air. This has been my overall combo snowiest and coldest week in a long time. Since the Feb 2010 back-to-back HECS. The HECS in Jan 2016 got warm soon after and melted down. 

• Like 1

It didn’t stop snowing all day in the Burlington area. Sure, some was light as can be but at times it was coming down pretty good. I certainly like the feel of the first few days of meteorological winter in spite of the warm departures we had for the month of November.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Light snow on and off. Not much to speak of yet from this event, but it whitened things up again with a sparkly dust and it’s ALWAYS nice to see flakes in the air. This has been my overall combo snowiest and coldest week in a long time. Since the Feb 2010 back-to-back HECS. The HECS in Jan 2016 got warm soon after and melted down. 

That’s awesome.  I still have to remind myself of where you came from and what that must feel like.  You feel like a lifelong member of the NNE crew already.  But this is like prom night, before marrying the prom queen ;).  Hopefully it never becomes “old” when it snows!

Just now, powderfreak said:

That’s awesome.  I still have to remind myself of where you came from and what that must feel like.  You feel like a lifelong member of the NNE crew already.  But this is like prom night, before marrying the prom queen ;).  Hopefully it never becomes “old” when it snows!

I was thinking the same thing today about it becoming “old.” The weather up here is just so interesting I don’t see that happening. Since May, I have seen big heat, solid cold, heavy snow, amazing leaf colors, flooding rain, desert dry air, a possible nearby tornado, an historic drought, major wind, and snow falling under sunny skies at 20 degrees. That’s like 50 years of MD weather events right there, and I’m just getting started! We have really fallen in love with NNE. 

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Stowe Village is just insanely beautiful right now.  I can't believe how lucky we've been this week with snowfall.... we missed the big storm but the orographic insurance policy has come through.

Ha!  Nice shots, and nicely put.  I guess that calls for another Northern Greens symbolic image to add to the collection…

InsurancePolicy.jpg