Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

31 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I’ve got a local update on these mountain streamers.  As I was back at the house checking out the radar, I was looking at the streamer down here, and it actually looked like it was shifting to the west (presumably due to a shift in the wind to a more northerly direction).  It looked like it was actually shifting enough to bring it near our site, and sure enough, I was looking out the window, and an immediate wall of big flakes came down.  It’s funny, having experienced going in and out of the streamer that we’ve got down here during my travels this afternoon, it’s clear that these streamers have a very sharp cutoff like LES bands vs. the typically broader effects we see with upslope.  Sometimes we’ll get some very sharp upslope bands, but these have definitely shown quite the cutoff.  I’ve got a radar grab below that shows the Waterbury streamer shifting to the west, and it quickly put down a half inch of snow when it got here.  The radar image also shows another pulse of moisture coming into the area from the north.

07DEC20B.gif

J, where are you able to get these composite radar images? I seem to remember the NWS providing the ability to zoom in to certain areas based on office location but I can't seem to find those anymore. They looked just like the above image...

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I do think it’s Bolton Mountain peak that triggered that one.  So there was one off Mansfield and one off Bolton.  I might dig into the soundings and stuff a bit later to try and look into what happened.  There’s a solid inversion aloft... to the point that Whiteface in NY and MWN were above the clouds this afternoon.  I think the inversion height played into it somehow.

Cool, that should be interesting.  I also see that there’s been what appears to be a LES band coming off Lake Champlain with this more northerly wind, although the band seems to be fading now.

2 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

J, where are you able to get these composite radar images? I seem to remember the NWS providing the ability to zoom in to certain areas based on office location but I can't seem to find those anymore. They looked just like the above image...

I get these from the Weather Underground BTV radar site – it actually lets you choose from a variety of beam angles, as well as the composite of course:

https://www.wunderground.com/radar/us/vt/burlington/cxx

I learned from PF that the composite is nice in that it gives you a chance to catch upslope and various other effects that you might not due to mountain shadowing.  As you can see, PF uses lots of the different beam angles depending on what he wants to look at.  I usually just default to the composite because you know you’re getting the most intense signals from various angles and catching just about everything there is to catch if it’s out there.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, yeah a buddy had like 3” right near Exit 10 near Stowe Street... the pictures looked fairly similar maybe a bit less than here.  Everyone coming to work or the mountain had stories like yours.  One guy was like there was a legit snowstorm going on at Ben and Jerry’s factory but nothing at all a mile north.  Then the same thing happened in Stowe and drove out of it at the ski area.

Like mini-pockets but stationary of 0.5-1”/hr snowfall.  The localized weather from the mountains is incredible.  This one takes the cake though.  There was a FB thread with photos of people around Stowe and Waterbury... it was all over the map.  One house has grass and a skiff of snow, then not far away someone posts a picture of plowing their driveway, lol.

I want one of these to happen like in Boston.  Some blocks get an Advisory snow mixed in with blocks of flurries.

There was a pretty localized event in February 2015 in Boston I recall. I think it was maybe feb 11th or 12th. 

There was like an IVT with a streamer coming in off Boston Harbor. I rode the train into work that day...back then my office was on the seaport pretty close to Logan. There was sun shining in back bay and Fenway area, by the time I got to south station is was snowing steadily but pretty light. Prob like 3 mile vis. By the time I got to the seaport east of south station there was these perfect LES dendrites falling with like 1 mile vis. I think we ended up with 2 or 2.5” in about 4 hours there while even just north at Logan had about 1.5 and then back west around Fenway they had just a dusting. It was so weird. I think parts just south of where I was near Hull had at least 3”+ of pure 30 to 1 blower powder. 

• Like 1

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Getting into that band for a bit earlier today certainly increased the rate of snow accumulation relative to what we’d seen being outside it.  We’ve actually got another band hitting the area right now with some pretty vigorous snowfall.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 24.4 F

Sky: Snow (5 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Just now, PhineasC said:

What’s the best source for that? Weatherbell? 

I love Weatherbell.  You can choose side by side comparison of runs. For instance the 18Z run just came out.  Here is total Kuchera snow totals for the next 90 hours.  New run has higher amounts and remember the older run includes any snow that fell for the preceding 6 hours before 18Z.  Weatherbell is a bit pricy but has so many features that I find easier to use than other model programs.

euro.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

I love Weatherbell.  You can choose side by side comparison of runs. For instance the 18Z run just came out.  Here is total Kuchera snow totals for the next 90 hours.  New run has higher amounts and remember the older run includes any snow that fell for the preceding 6 hours before 18Z.  Weatherbell is a bit pricy but has so many features that I find easier to use than other model programs.

euro.jpg

Thanks! Looks like a pretty decent signal for a global. I could see getting 3 inches or so here if it all pans out. Always some luck involved with getting the higher amounts, but there is a healthy little impulse associated with this so it isn't just random moose fart dust like PF's 4 inches today. LOL

• Like 1

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.06” L.E.

Based on the robust snowfall rate here around observations time, it was obvious that it hadn’t been snowing that hard all night, and the radar below suggests the snow is associated with a recent push of moisture building in from the north and that small band quickly building in from the east.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 70.0

Snow Density: 1.4% H2O

Temperature: 23.4 F

Sky: Snow/Light Snow (2 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

08DEC20A.gif

Event totals: 3.4” Snow/0.07” L.E.

I was going to suggest that this might be the last round of snowfall observations for this event, since we’re getting more and more breaks of sun and the snow seems to be winding down, but as I write this we’re getting another resurgence.  Checking on the local radar, there’s a batch of moisture hitting the spine from the NNW, so the beat goes on.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 90.0

Snow Density: 1.1% H2O

Temperature: 28.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

08DEC20B.gif

Normality has been restored with heavier snowfall at the mountain than down in town.  Day off today with a lot to get done so haven’t been paying much attention but general flurries and light snow in town has the mountain behind a solid curtain of white.

I must say, Stowe Village is living up to the currier and ives look after yesterday’s 4-5”.  It’s stacked up on everything like it was placed there on a movie set.  It’s pure Hallmark movie going to the UPS store, post office and getting other holiday chores done.

Did see the crazy gradient as we went and got a tree this morning on the Morrisville/Stowe town line and I have never seen anything like that... in literally a quarter mile it goes from winter to grass.  The line is incredibly sharp.  The tree we cut didn’t even have any snow on it, so we were able to bring it right inside when we drove back to the winter wonderland.  My wife and I were joking about how perfect it was, no melting of snow off the tree and in a 10 minute trip we left winter and returned to winter.

Next up is a trip to mreaves area to get snow tires put on my wife’s new 2021 Subaru at the dealership in Berlin, not far from MPV.

58CF76E0-227E-45A3-B7E5-D5C8EF7824FC.jpeg.d263f65fc1b26877fa1c6d15bf063051.jpeg

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Euro still has a nice little event coming up.

0069C097-D6D4-46C2-AA9F-409D3E2EDF83.thumb.png.98d876ec743b94bb61dff0074f07e5df.png

This week is turning out a little better vs. what I was expecting.  We didn't get the micro storm you had yesterday but we have had snowcover and sub 30° temps since Saturday night/Sunday morning.  I figured we were going back towards some November stick season, doldrums type conditions.  Hopefully we can pick our way through the minefield of meh to keep the holiday feel going.

Edit to add: I know @dendritewanted to warm up to melt some of the frozen crap off his car etc. but I like the hard pack laid down over my gravel driveway.  I hope it remains through the first snowblower worthy storm so I can avoid the machine gun effect.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I must say, Stowe Village is living up to the currier and ives look after yesterday’s 4-5”.  It’s stacked up on everything like it was placed there on a movie set.  It’s pure Hallmark movie going to the UPS store, post office and getting other holiday chores done.

You just replace the sleigh with a 2021 Subaru, and off you go.  Currier and Ives actually do a pretty nice job with some of that snow globe snowfall.

Currier&IvesSnowfall.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It seems like it’s been hanging around 20 degrees since Sunday with flakes in the air. Is this the “bread and butter” pattern? LOL

What a change from a week ago. 

You might get decent snow this weekend too. One thing that will tak a while getting used to is not to fear modeled cutters as much....they often turn into what we're seeing on the Euro. It doesn't make a difference for MD, but in NE (esp NNE) it can go from 50F rainer to snowstorm in a couple cycles.