• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

I can definitely see a scenario now where we "underperform" with the cement phase of this but get 5 inches of high-ratio fluff after the low has moved away to put us over the top. It isn't going to be well-forecast by the models, but they show lingering snow over the usual spots for quite a while even as the low heads well off into the great unknown. Should be neat, really makes it a two-phase event.

18 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can definitely see a scenario now where we "underperform" with the cement phase of this but get 5 inches of high-ratio fluff after the low has moved away to put us over the top. It isn't going to be well-forecast by the models, but they show lingering snow over the usual spots for quite a while even as the low heads well off into the great unknown. Should be neat, really makes it a two-phase event.

It's actually a most common scenario for us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I’m surprised how wet it still looks on the cam.  Some whitening but that has a look of being near the snow line.  I think once better lift moves in it’ll flip to snow right to 700ft.  Doesn’t seem like areas seeing rain up there are missing out much yet.

Shows how marginal it is as I figured you’d just be accumulating right off the start.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, I’m surprised how wet it still looks on the cam.  Some whitening but that has a look of being near the snow line.  I think once better lift moves in it’ll flip to snow right to 700ft.  Doesn’t seem like areas seeing rain up there are missing out much yet.

Shows how marginal it is as I figured you’d just be accumulating right off the start.

Grass and decks are turning white now, but it is definitely still wet out there. It's just slightly below freezing on the PWS and there is plenty of warmth in the ground still. I actually figured things wouldn't get rolling until the afternoon so this all feels reasonably ahead of schedule to me. Prime time is supposed to be evening and overnight here as the low bombs off Maine,

It's 36 and plain rain down in Gorham. Would much rather have this than that!

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Grass and decks are turning white now, but it is definitely still wet out there. It's just slightly below freezing on the PWS and there is plenty of warmth in the ground still. I actually figured things wouldn't get rolling until the afternoon so this all feels reasonably ahead of schedule to me. Prime time is supposed to be evening and overnight here as the low bombs off Maine,

It's 36 and plain rain down in Gorham. Would much rather have this than that!

Ha yeah for sure but they’ll flip over as soon as any serious lift moves in.

Looks like Berlin went to snow around 11:30am at the air field.

That dude at 1800ft is probably even whiter.  I’d just be wandering around he neighborhood all day lol.  It’s funny here at the ski area we’ve got a road that goes up to over 1,800ft where folks live, and I’ll even drive up there to see how much whiter it is in marginal scenarios like a good weenie.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ha yeah for sure but they’ll flip over as soon as any serious lift moves in.

Looks like Berlin went to snow around 11:30am at the air field.

That dude at 1800ft is probably even whiter.  I’d just be wandering around he neighborhood all day lol.

Really looking forward to seeing his obs tomorrow. I will go up that way in a bit and see what's going on in comparison to here. This is definitely the sort of event where that extra 200 feet can make a difference, at least with this early marginal part.

Just now, PhineasC said:

Really looking forward to seeing his obs tomorrow. I will go up that way in a bit and see what's going on in comparison to here. This is definitely the sort of event where that extra 200 feet can make a difference, at least with this early marginal part.

You need a snowmobile that you can just fire up and rip through the neighborhood checking snow stakes :lol:.  I’ll build you 3-4 and you can string them from Gorham all the way up up to the Ice Gulch Path.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Ground whitening up here     Maybe we’ll get lucky and score a couple of inches. 

Radar looks pretty good. Seems to be throwing precip back a little further west than the truly crappy runs had.

Hate these storms where it rains first, always takes a while to overcome that heat release and really pile up the snow. The models tend to just assume as soon as it flips to snow it will start piling up...

32.5F  Very light snow.  Vis up to about 3-4 miles.  I have 1/2" up on my hill but at Newfound Lake level the ground is bare and it's spitting rain and catpaws.  This is going to be a very big bust.   Also I am surprised with almost calm wind.  I'm north 2-5mph.  I was worried about the east trend last evening.  Hopefully I can score a few inches.

Just got back from hiking North Doublehead. There was about 3.5" to 4" at 3000' with a temp of 30F. Accumulating way more efficiently up there, as one might expect. Still 33/31 here at 1500' with a total of 0.9" so far. Hopefully nightfall combined with the heavier bands pivoting in from the east will help us gain some traction.

42 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Just got back from hiking North Doublehead. There was about 3.5" to 4" at 3000' with a temp of 30F. Accumulating way more efficiently up there, as one might expect. Still 33/31 here at 1500' with a total of 0.9" so far. Hopefully nightfall combined with the heavier bands pivoting in from the east will help us gain some traction.

Damn, hope that improves. Between 3-4" here. It's starting to pile up better now with the sun down. It was pretty soggy all day.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Damn, hope that improves. Between 3-4" here. It's starting to pile up better now with the sun down. It was pretty soggy all day.

It's amazing the difference one degree can make. But I could be in the valley, where there is nothing...so I'll take what I have and be grateful ha.