• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Ended up with a total of 3.33 inches. There is a brook flowing behind my cabin which has not had running water since I moved here in August. Definitely a big precip event in these parts! The overnight low was 56F which is equally impressive for December 1st, though that will not end up being the low for the calendar day. 

Hopefully we've reached the low point of this wretched pattern now. The Euro has nothing, but both the Canadian and (to some extent) the gfs are suggesting some kind of event this coming weekend with more cold air to work with. The pattern heading into next week looks much better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

2.52” as the heavy stuff departs for now. I feel like my spot definitely got some enhancement. Looking forward to a cold coastal storm. 

Noticed the guy up the hill behind you had 1.82”.  Seems like we’ve found in heavy rain events he’s going to do considerably less than you for water for whatever reason.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Noticed the guy up the hill behind you had 1.82”.  Seems like we’ve found in heavy rain events he’s going to do considerably less than you for water for whatever reason.

He's way better at measuring than me is one big reason. LOL

The other is probably topography. His spot is tucked back and heavily wooded. I'm thinking he gets shadowed a little in these sideways rain events, whereas my lot is much more open and I don't have my Stratus in the woods. It'll be different in snowfall retention battles. His spot can only be described as a weenie's dream. Zero exposure. The snow must sit in piles in there for a very long time. My back lawn gets absolutely baked, on the other hand.

I always defer to his readings as the final verdict, I am providing mine just as a data point. I wouldn't suggest basing a scientific research paper on my numbers. LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The other is probably topography. His spot is tucked back and heavily wooded. I'm thinking he gets shadowed a little in these sideways rain events, whereas my lot is much more open and I don't have my Stratus in the woods. It'll be different in snowfall retention battles. His spot can only be described as a weenie's dream. Zero exposure. The snow must sit in piles in there for a very long time. My back lawn gets absolutely baked, on the other hand.

I always defer to his readings as the final verdict, I am providing mine just as a data point. I wouldn't suggest basing a scientific research paper on my numbers. LOL

Yeah for sure, I think the fact that it’s rain and not snow is what makes it interesting.  Snow measurements can be all over the place but water doesn’t usually have those issues.  I agree the 45mph gusts definitely play into it as it seems all the heavy rain events have those SSE winds in his obs, so it is definitely with that wind.

Anyway, the Euro found a Day 10 storm, lol:

353ED4AE-ED1A-4353-9850-AD15EACEB304.thumb.png.98d97e77c28e921fb60a2959a8732c25.png

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I just saw our dew point hit 56F overnight.  Yikes.

60/51 currently.

1.46” for water.

This was a gut-punch to New England Ski resorts.  I just checked out the Hunter Mountain Cam.  That place looks like the late may melt with random grey piles.  We should recover by next week in this pattern and with some upslope love, but man, even a top notch snow making system like they have has its work cut out.  They will be able to blow again in a day or two, but its not like wet bulbs in the mid teens are forecast for days on end either down there.

6 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

This was a gut-punch to New England Ski resorts.  I just checked out the Hunter Mountain Cam.  That place looks like the late may melt with random grey piles.  We should recover by next week in this pattern and with some upslope love, but man, even a top notch snow making system like they have has its work cut out.  They will be able to blow again in a day or two, but its not like wet bulbs in the mid teens are forecast for days on end either down there.

Yeah we got like twice as much rain as it looked like we’d get too... with dews, high winds, and now it’s just rotting wet snow where it’s left.

35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You'll have to post pics of your sheltered side of the house later in winter. I bet in late winter/earl spring (like March/April) you have situations where there's like 3-4 feet on one side of the house and that open field with southern exposure is already getting some holes in it.

Agree...There's decent chances for the Northern Greens in the next 10 days but I wouldn't want to be a resort in the Catskills or Poconos right now where theres no margin for error.  I think things will be rolling by mid-month up our way.  Shitty start though.  Most years I would think everyone would want to get off to a big early season start to peak interest in the season and cash in on the demand, but this year, who knows.  With reduced capacity, I think as soon as conditions get right, the demand will be there.

5 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

right decision to close today...save whats out there and get the guns in position.  I'm shocked Mt. Snow is open.

Yeah no way to put a very heavy grooming machine on the snow in that slop and I don't think I've ever seen Stowe open without at least one groomed route down.  MRG can pull that off but not a ski resort like this... they need at least one groomed route but a large heavy tractor would've just made a mess in this weather.

The SE flow was very efficient at wringing out moisture on the east side... the east side of the county lines got about 1" more water than the west side.

Like look at J.Spin's 1.77" and then you probably go 4 miles through the Spine and there's an inch less water when I-89 comes out on the other side.

Dec_1.gif.b19d34a1c86299ffb54656568dba7833.gif

36 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So you have a stratus gauge out in the open somewhere? If you do, then there is no guessing whose number is right or not--your gauge collects what it collects and that's the amount.  Could be an issue of his being wooded possibly or maybe he is a bit shadowed, but I think you said hes practically your neighbor or really close.

Snowfall will be way more precarious in measuring and you will defintely have some discepencies.  I have that here because I get a fair amount of windy events that make using a snowboard obselete at times.

• Like 1

I am walking the Stowe Rec Path to pick up my SUV from the mechanic... in shorts and a hoodie on December 1st.

It’s 60F, partly sunny.  There are people out here jogging in shorts and T’s, bikers, it’s like a May Day on the Rec Path.

This is absolutely wild.  Dews are up so it’s not even a crisp 60F.  Might need to take the dog for a hike and enjoy this rare day off in the warmth.

Had 2.24" thru 7 this morning, maybe a tenth or 2 since.  1.20" came before my 9 PM obs time, bringing the November total to 4.97", AN by 0.65".  OCT-NOV total is 10.27", which is 1/4" AN - the swamps are full.  Still 4" BN for the year, but at 91% it's above the drought threshold (I think.)

November numbers:
Avg. Temp:  35.23     +1.92
Avg. Max:   45.40       +3.21
Avg. min:    25.07       +0.65
Warmest was 70 on the 10th, which just missed the month's warmest - 71 on 1/2003.  However, the warm week produced 2 days at 69 and one at 67, which with the 70 rank 2-3-4-5 for month's warmest.
Coldest was 7 on the 19th.

The 4.97" included 3 days with 1"+, all on Mondays:  1.05 on the 16th, 1.54 on the 23rd and 1.20 yesterday (about half of what this current storm will bring.)

Snowfall:  2.1"   2.8" BN.  The 1.4" on 11/25 meant a white Thanksgiving but was gone 2 days later.

October was 1.29° BN, and autumns with BN Oct and AN Nov lead to BN snow seasons on average, though the signal isn't strong.

I am walking the Stowe Rec Path to pick up my SUV from the mechanic... in shorts and a hoodie on December 1st.

I don't do shorts even in summer, but walked the dog at 7 with my usual jeans but only a T-shirt above the waist.  Temp was 56 and my average morning on 12/1 is 19.  The average minimum here peaks at 55° in July.

28 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Who was the poster that moved to Vermont several years back and had a drone like me.  We promised him so much snow and that year was a big snow drought.  I think everything kept going south?

I assume you mean someone other than eyewall? I dont remember anyone else with a drone.

Unless is was pre 2014 before I moved here.

13 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Thought that was too obvious considering he posted in here a few hours ago..ha

Yep,  it was Eyewall.  I had not skimmed the thread and was having a brain freeze.  He was so upset moving up here and took him so long to see some vicious snow squalls.   His second winter was much better.  He took great pictures with his drone

• Like 1

Some November stats for my locale, South Portland, ME

Total Liquid Precip - 5.23"
Snow - 0.00"  (Trace on 4 days)
Max 24 hr Precip (7A-7P) - 1.46" on 11/23
Days  w/measurable precip- 12

Avg Temp - 42F
Avg Hi - 51F
Avg Lo - 33F

Max Hi - 70F on 11/7
Min Lo - 15F on 11/19

Max diurnal - 31 on 11/30 (26-57F)