Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I figured you would’ve picked up an inch or two last night, guess it never made it over there.  Had about 3-4” at Stowe at 1,500ft and they had to plow...surprisingly dense, like a lot of graupel. Even white at 750ft but we only got an inch.

We’ve definitely had more frequent coverings and plowable snow over here so that may be skewing my thoughts on NNE.  I think 1,500ft has plowed 4 times now.

If it won’t snow that’s not a bad view on the whole lol.

We are around average/typical for this time of year. Things have been focused more in VT so far but things will shift back and forth as the season progresses I’m sure. 

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We are around average/typical for this time of year. Things have been focused more in VT so far but things will shift back and forth as the season progresses I’m sure. 

Yeah it's close, I was just going on that snowfall graph Backedge had posted where this year's 10" through November 15th is the highest total snowfall aside from 2018 through that date for Randolph.  I also noticed that 40% of the years failed to have reach a snow depth of greater than 4" at any time through December 1st... so it seems on pace.

Looks like the 13.8" at Randolph is the snowiest CoCoRAHS site in NH and ME, by a long shot.  Heck its the same amount of snow I've seen at my place so far this winter, and it's seemed decently snowy.  I think you are definitely seeing how a diligent observer can rack up the inches, as you seem to be implying it doesn't seem like 13-14" have fallen so far, lol. 

The synoptic systems will start coming though at some point.  Get some real QPF as snow and lock it in with some sleet or something and it'll be there all winter.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's close, I was just going on that snowfall graph Backedge had posted where this year's 10" through November 15th is the highest total snowfall aside from 2018 through that date for Randolph.  I also noticed that 40% of the years failed to have reach a snow depth of greater than 4" at any time through December 1st... so it seems on pace.

Looks like the 13.8" at Randolph is the snowiest CoCoRAHS site in NH and ME, by a long shot.  Heck its the same amount of snow I've seen at my place so far this winter, and it's seemed decently snowy.  I think you are definitely seeing how a diligent observer can rack up the inches, as you seem to be implying it doesn't seem like 13-14" have fallen so far, lol. 

The synoptic systems will start coming though at some point.  Get some real QPF as snow and lock it in with some sleet or something and it'll be there all winter.

LOL yeah not doubting the observer (since it turns out part of his property is intertwined with mine and he is a local fixture — interesting story). But sensible weather is not always the same thing as a scientific technical measurement. I’m sure he recorded a half-inch or perhaps even an inch yesterday and today. But there was never an inch OTG here at any one time. 

Like I was saying, I am just waiting for a nice synoptic walloping. Been years for me since I have seen one. I am definitely in love with upslope, no doubt. But it seems like a better appetizer or dessert for me. Can’t survive on just jalapeño poppers and fried ice cream without an entree in the middle sometimes. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL how’d you get a snow gun?

I would do that but my well situation here is kinda iffy. You pump it from the river or a well?

I made my first one when I lived in Mass, many years ago. Then last year Sam Adams rented my property to shoot a commercial for their winter brew, but they needed lots of snow and it was kinda iffy, so I upgraded to a snow maker from snowathome. Of course the night of the shoot it was like blizzard conditions so no snowmaker was needed... But any excuse is a good one. :)

I'm on a well, but it's a 750ft deep fracked well. It produces so much water that there is an overflow thats constantly running (my landscaper turned it into a fountain), so water should not be an issue. 

Just now, alex said:

I made my first one when I lived in Mass, many years ago. Then last year Sam Adams rented my property to shoot a commercial for their winter brew, but they needed lots of snow and it was kinda iffy, so I upgraded to a snow maker from snowathome. Of course the night of the shoot it was like blizzard conditions so no snowmaker was needed... But any excuse is a good one. :)

I'm on a well, but it's a 750ft deep fracked well. It produces so much water that there is an overflow thats constantly running (my landscaper turned it into a fountain), so water should not be an issue. 

Nice setup. If you don’t mind me asking, what did that run you (the snow gun I mean). You can PM me the details if you don’t mind. I have a stream here and it might be neat to pump some water through one of these. 

Event totals: 3.4” Snow/1.05” L.E.

We picked up a final 0.1” of snow after today’s noontime analyses, but it looks like the snow is done now, so the numbers above will be the totals for this system.

The next potential chance for snow appears to be with the front end of the system working into the area tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Nice setup. If you don’t mind me asking, what did that run you (the snow gun I mean). You can PM me the details if you don’t mind. I have a stream here and it might be neat to pump some water through one of these. 

I don't mind at all. After all its easy to find out - you can just see it on their website (model SG6).  :) I believe it was around $600

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

Really?  I still think its a bit early to start building a pack.  J. Spin posted some data on this a few pages back.  I tend to think we have some sort of snow around half the time on Thanksgiving, J. Spins data was right around that .  It usually starts over the next week or two.

Yeah, guess that was a bit of an exaggeration.  2 years ago we started with snow cover around Nov 8th.  I guess I meant the first snow that falls and never melts in the shady areas up at my elevation because of low sun angle.  That is not really a pack...

6 hours ago, alex said:

0.4" today; currently light snow with broken clouds. And a snow gun cranking. :) Of course it will take me a week or so of continuous snow making to do what my kids want me to do lol

Alex, sure blame it on the kids.  I think I remember you talking about this the first year you guys moved up here from Mass.

12 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah, guess that was a bit of an exaggeration.  2 years ago we started with snow cover around Nov 8th.  I guess I meant the first snow that falls and never melts in the shady areas up at my elevation because of low sun angle.  That is not really a pack...

It definitely “feels” like this season is starting sluggish based on the last two Novembers (October warning criteria snowfall down here not withstanding)....but then I think back to like the 2007-2010 years which were excellent for snowfall but several of those Novembers weren’t exactly rocking, even in NNE. We weren’t starting permanent snowpack in NNE in early to mid November like the past two Novembers. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It definitely “feels” like this season is starting sluggish based on the last two Novembers (October warning criteria snowfall down here not withstanding)....but then I think back to like the 2007-2010 years which were excellent for snowfall but several of those Novembers weren’t exactly rocking, even in NNE. We weren’t starting permanent snowpack in NNE in early to mid November like the past two Novembers. 

Yeah the last two November’s definitely are outliers.  In 2018 it was like mid-winter right now, ha.