Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

33/22   No virga yet just mid level overcast.  Echoes about 40 miles SW

Husband was exposed to Covid on Friday so we have to quarantine.  No big deal on a cold overcast day.

Good day to stay in and work on a jigsaw puzzle of  Stowe views.  One of the best pictures ever from PF.   Puzzle wasn't hard to get the top part done  but all the spruce laced with snow is a bitch to do.

jpuz.jpg

That's awesome.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Husband was exposed to Covid on Friday so we have to quarantine.  No big deal on a cold overcast day.

Good day to stay in and work on a jigsaw puzzle of  Stowe views.  One of the best pictures ever from PF.   Puzzle wasn't hard to get the top part done  but all the spruce laced with snow is a bitch to do.

jpuz.jpg

I’ll give you one from Weymouth. Certainly will challenge any Stowe view. 

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case. Bunch of marginal garbage events rolling through this week, hoping for some Randolph flukiness to keep it mostly a little snow then some drizzle versus a washout.

I'm gonna be patient but I was really hoping to be done with 37 and rain by now. :) 

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Randolph has 8 inches so far in November, although it's mostly been "fake snow" or marginal changeover snow so there was never more than 3 or so inches OTG at any given time.

We’ve obviously still getting into the groove of the season and figuring out how things go at your site with various types of systems, but yeah, be patient.  I’d also say be realistic… it’s November.  And I certainly don’t mean this in a “it’s only November” type way, because we know how that goes - in some seasons, we’ll watch the weenies use that justification all the way through basically February before they give up the ghost.  But as you noted, your area is probably on track for a reasonably average month in terms of snowfall, so it’s probably pretty typical.

As for being done with 37 and rain by this point, um… I know it’s just for dramatic effect, but unless you’re going to move to 10,000’ in the Rockies, you’re never going to see the chances of that go away.  Even in midwinter, and even up here in the mountains of NNE, that can happen.  The magic up here in the Northern Greens (and of course Central Greens, Whites, Adirondacks, etc. to varying degrees) is not that every system is going to be 100% snow.  The magic is that you can typically get some snow/frozen out of almost any system.  We’re getting very close to that point now (probably end of November/beginning of December) when you’re probably going to be in the game for accumulation from just about any system.  So just think about that, we average 50+ accumulating storms a season up here at our site, and you’re probably in a similar boat.  Even in a system that passes perfectly to the west of us just enough to keep us in the warm sector, there’s almost always a bit of snow on the back side to cover things back up.  Sometimes it’s enough to give the ski conditions a good shot in the arm, sometimes it’s just enough to fix the aesthetics, but it’s part of the winter climate.

This next system is a nice example – there’s definitely a chance for some frozen on the front and back ends up here, whereas in most areas in the entire eastern U.S. this is just another November rainstorm.  A quick look at the models suggests probably three major systems affecting the area for the rest of this month (barring substantial changes)?  You’ve probably got a shot for at least some frozen in any of them, with that second one being the most questionable.  From this point onward into the winter, at least you won’t have to go through too many more 100% plain rain storms at your NH site.  They may not be “perfect” winter storms, but they’ll likely at least be interesting.

8 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We’ve obviously still getting into the groove of the season and figuring out how things go at your site with various types of systems, but yeah, be patient.  I’d also say be realistic… it’s November.  And I certainly don’t mean this in a “it’s only November” type way, because we know how that goes - in some seasons, we’ll watch the weenies use that justification all the way through basically February before they give up the ghost.  But as you noted, your area is probably on track for a reasonably average month in terms of snowfall, so it’s probably pretty typical.

As for being done with 37 and rain by this point, um… I know it’s just for dramatic effect, but unless you’re going to move to 10,000’ in the Rockies, you’re never going to see the chances of that go away.  Even in midwinter, and even up here in the mountains of NNE, that can happen.  The magic up here in the Northern Greens (and of course Central Greens, Whites, Adirondacks, etc. to varying degrees) is not that every system is going to be 100% snow.  The magic is that you can typically get some snow/frozen out of almost any system.  We’re getting very close to that point now (probably end of November/beginning of December) when you’re probably going to be in the game for accumulation from just about any system.  So just think about that, we average 50+ accumulating storms a season up here at our site, and you’re probably in a similar boat.  Even in a system that passes perfectly to the west of us just enough to keep us in the warm sector, there’s almost always a bit of snow on the back side to cover things back up.  Sometimes it’s enough to give the ski conditions a good shot in the arm, sometimes it’s just enough to fix the aesthetics, but it’s part of the winter climate.

This next system is a nice example – there’s definitely a chance for some frozen on the front and back ends up here, whereas in most areas in the entire eastern U.S. this is just another November rainstorm.  A quick look at the models suggests probably three major systems affecting the area for the rest of this month (barring substantial changes)?  You’ve probably got a shot for at least some frozen in any of them, with that second one being the most questionable.  From this point onward into the winter, at least you won’t have to go through too many more 100% plain rain storms at your NH site.  They may not be “perfect” winter storms, but they’ll likely at least be interesting.

Yep, it's nice to be in the game from just about every event. Seems like starting and ending as snow is a typical outcome even with cutters and other garbage events.

I am just looking forward to the first wire-to-wire snow storm with good QPF and temps. Gotta remember it's been years for me since I have have seen one. Hopefully sometime early in December something will materialize.

46 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

jpuz.jpg

Awesome Gene!  Looking good!  Thanks for the duplicate, my wife started it last night.

32.7/21   Radar shows echoes over me but the ceiling is pretty high and I can see 40 miles to the SW so nothing is even close to reaching the ground.

What is more exciting,  a straight 25F snow event or being close to the changeover line with lots of chances for flipping back and forth?  Although being close to a changeover line is much more of a messy cleanup I think I enjoy trying to figure out what is going to happen.

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yep, it's nice to be in the game from just about every event. Seems like starting and ending as snow is a typical outcome even with cutters and other garbage events.

I am just looking forward to the first wire-to-wire snow storm with good QPF and temps. Gotta remember it's been years for me since I have have seen one. Hopefully sometime early in December something will materialize.

Coming from Maryland myself and first moving to Metro Boston and then up here in 2001 I use to get really excited for every snow event.  You  get  use to frequent snow events very fast  and pretty soon small 2-4" or 4-8" events are no big deal.  Some of the most exciting stuff are the heavy snow squalls when visibility drops to a few hundred feet.  Noreasters with lots of wind can be pretty impressive although  cold storms  with lots of wind means flake size is quite small.  Big wet spring storms with wet parachutes are a lot prettier.  Below is a pretty typical noreaster day when visibilities can be in the 1/4 to 1/2 mile range for hours.

https://video.nest.com/clip/5913c751eeca4a4c9c125c3695668d1d.mp4  March 14 2017

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

Steady light snow..just a coating so far.

B41C0D84-B89B-4CA0-9001-B644207BFF71.jpeg

I think you're going to be the bread winner this winter up there... another world at like 1,800-2,000ft on Jay Peak.  What a true weenie spot.  I'm so happy we have someone up there now to showcase it.  Keep the photos coming all winter.

We had a brief snow and sleet shower here a little while ago that also dusted up the ground but it's not as white as that, lol.  It looked like all snow in the flood lights but once you went outside you could hear there were pellets in there too.  It was a loud snow.  Just cloudy now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think you're going to be the bread winner this winter up there... another world at like 1,800-2,000ft on Jay Peak.  What a true weenie spot.  I'm so happy we have someone up there now to showcase it.  Keep the photos coming all winter.

We had a brief snow and sleet shower here a little while ago that also dusted up the ground but it's not as white as that, lol.  It looked like all snow in the flood lights but once you went outside you could hear there were pellets in there too.  It was a loud snow.  Just cloudy now.

Definitely gonna compete for top honors.

I could see that spot being fringe city in certain setups, however. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Definitely gonna compete for top honors.

I could see that spot being fringe city in certain setups, however. 

Yeah every spot can be fringe city in the right set up...and it isn't a competition, but I am thoroughly convinced that Jay Peak is inch for inch the snowiest ski area in the northeast.  Year in and year out, regardless of what anyone thinks of Jay Peak ski area measurements, the meteorology stacks up.  It's like Mansfield plus 25%.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Coming from Maryland myself and first moving to Metro Boston and then up here in 2001 I use to get really excited for every snow event.  You  get  use to frequent snow events very fast  and pretty soon small 2-4" or 4-8" events are no big deal.  Some of the most exciting stuff are the heavy snow squalls when visibility drops to a few hundred feet.  Noreasters with lots of wind can be pretty impressive although  cold storms  with lots of wind means flake size is quite small.  Big wet spring storms with wet parachutes are a lot prettier.  Below is a pretty typical noreaster day when visibilities can be in the 1/4 to 1/2 mile range for hours.

https://video.nest.com/clip/5913c751eeca4a4c9c125c3695668d1d.mp4  March 14 2017

That was more than a "typical noreaster" here - one of only 4 events in 22 winters to meet all the criteria for a blizzard - 12/6-7/03, 12/21-22/08 and 1/27-28/15 are the others.  Terrorized our TX rescue Lab; she'd gotten somewhat used to snow as we'd had 45" in her first 2 weeks here, but the 40+ gusts plus SN+ cowed her.  She stayed in my footprints long enough to step aside across the road and do her business.  Without the leash she'd not have ventured 2 feet from the door.

1st 33° RA event of the season!  Started with 0.1" of SN/IP - still little piles on wipers and on creases in the tarp covering the snowblower.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That was more than a "typical noreaster" here - one of only 4 events in 22 winters to meet all the criteria for a blizzard - 12/6-7/03, 12/21-22/08 and 1/27-28/15 are the others.  Terrorized our TX rescue Lab; she'd gotten somewhat used to snow as we'd had 45" in her first 2 weeks here, but the 40+ gusts plus SN+ cowed her.  She stayed in my footprints long enough to step aside across the road and do her business.  Without the leash she'd not have ventured 2 feet from the door.

1st 33° RA event of the season!  Started with 0.1" of SN/IP - still little piles on wipers and on creases in the tarp covering the snowblower.

Yeah,  that storm blasted areas east of me.  Eastern NH had extreme winds with tree damage.  We were a bit too far west to get into the brutal part of the storm

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We love it here.  It is amazing how this place will snow when just down 242 in Montgomery there’s nothing at all.  It’s like the opposite of NJ; there, you ALWAYS bet the under and for a changeover hours before it’s predicted.  Most winters consist of tracking two or three coastal a year if you are lucky (13-14 and 14-15 were exceptions)  For a skier/rider, I love it here, and the northern greens in general for that constant refresh every couple days.  Jay, Stowe, and Smuggs are where it’s at east coast for powder days.  Even without the snow though, we love just exploring the mountains and hiking up here...very chill.  I’ve heard the Newport area is decent for summer activities too, but with Covid, we didn’t really get out there this year.  I’m hoping in another 3-4 weeks the snow really gets going up here.  It will be fun to compare to you guys in the area and I’m interested to see how phin does at his spot.

• Like 1

After another quarter inch of snow/sleet yesterday evening, we eventually went to rain during the overnight. It was 33F and raining when I woke up at 5:30am, but there were icicles hanging off my roof so it was obviously freezing rain for a time. But that additional 0.3" of snow almost brings me up to a full inch on the season....

Currently 36F and raining quite steadily with 0.70" in the bucket so far.

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic