• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

It's another fun night to watch the local thermometers. I found a 33-degree reading on Town Hall Road (735') meanwhile it's 50F at my place and 54F at 1680 feet. There's a thermometer less than a mile away and 200' lower which is 38F compared to my 50F. Super shallow inversion!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jculligan said:

It's another fun night to watch the local thermometers. I found a 33-degree reading on Town Hall Road (735') meanwhile it's 50F at my place and 54F at 1680 feet. There's a thermometer less than a mile away and 200' lower which is 38F compared to my 50F. Super shallow inversion!

Yeah it’s trying to develop here too.

The station near me at the bottom of the golf course (general course slope is NW to SE) is 11 degrees cooler than the spots 100-200ft higher.

002B61CE-F133-4176-A494-F7B90CDB4AA9.jpeg.3d829b95f7eb0b456ae413c44c476a46.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Be nice to see first snow at some point soon. Other than a few flakes couple weeks ago, there's been zilch.

Southern Maine's time is coming.  Missed the SNE October storm, missed the NNE upslope and snow shower/squall events.

You'll get that Miller B that has us smoking cirrus at some point.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it’s trying to develop here too.

The station near me at the bottom of the golf course (general course slope is NW to SE) is 11 degrees cooler than the spots 100-200ft higher.

002B61CE-F133-4176-A494-F7B90CDB4AA9.jpeg.3d829b95f7eb0b456ae413c44c476a46.jpeg

It's mixed back out.  55F now from 43F next to the golf course.  The cold air has been forced down river, towards the Lower Village.  Everything should start to mix out if the wind continues like this.  A few decent breezes here.

cropped.jpg.9d092e846266345c96fb6cefaaca3893.jpg

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Southern Maine's time is coming.  Missed the SNE October storm, missed the NNE upslope and snow shower/squall events.

You'll get that Miller B that has us smoking cirrus at some point.

And the October 17th anafront event. That has actually been the largest event in New Hampshire so far. I wasn't active on the board then, but I hiked Mount Moosilauke that day and I'd estimate a foot of snow with some hip deep drifts on the summit cone. It snowed all the way down to road levels on the other side of Crawford Notch that day. We had about 2.3" of rain in my location instead.

21 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

So this seems like a cool way to access CoCoRaHS (and I assume other sorts of) weather data.  I can see the website, but why haven’t we been using this in here before?  Has something changed with respect to accessibility or options?

Don't think so, pretty sure Xmacis has been available for a quite a while( although not totally sure of timeframe?). What's cool is that it has COOP and cocorahs data combined which is nice. 

26 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

So this seems like a cool way to access CoCoRaHS (and I assume other sorts of) weather data.  I can see the website, but why haven’t we been using this in here before?  Has something changed with respect to accessibility or options?

Also, maybe in the past when people have posted data they may have just cropped out the address bar and side bar so you just see the table and don't see where it's coming from? 

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Also, maybe in the past when people have posted data they may have just cropped out the address bar and side bar so you just see the table and don't see where it's coming from? 

Right, I think I’ve seen those tables before, but hadn’t realized where they were coming from.

Any of those sites that bring in CoCoRaHS data are great in my mind – they of course have more overall sites to be able to check on microclimates etc., but on a personal level, it provides analysis on my site here that I in some cases I would never be able to do myself.

Being able to get all that modeling at the NOHRSC Interactive Snow Info page for what is literally my back yard, is pretty darned cool.  I believe it was Ginx that turned me on to that site.  Writing about it made me check on the site, and the current modeling actually shows the potential snow associated with that next system:

21NOV20A.jpg

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Real crappy week setting up weather-wise. A taste of deep winter in MD for you guys. 

An interesting day for you. I’m curious to see if you can hold onto the snow for a little while with ESE flow banking up against mtns and keeping it locally cooler. You’ll flip eventually, but this may be a setup to test how you keep in the cold. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

An interesting day for you. I’m curious to see if you can hold onto the snow for a little while with ESE flow banking up against mtns and keeping it locally cooler. You’ll flip eventually, but this may be a setup to test how you keep in the cold. 

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case. Bunch of marginal garbage events rolling through this week, hoping for some Randolph flukiness to keep it mostly a little snow then some drizzle versus a washout.

I'm gonna be patient but I was really hoping to be done with 37 and rain by now. :) 

Randolph has 8 inches so far in November, although it's mostly been "fake snow" or marginal changeover snow so there was never more than 3 or so inches OTG at any given time.

Average is 16.9, but that is thrown off in the 10 year sample by the silly total of 49.7 in 2018.

Throwing out that one high fluke total yields a November average of about 13".

So it seems that we could still get fairly close, perhaps to 10-11" if some of these marginal events break right and with a couple inches of fluff from upslope tomorrow evening.

18 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case. Bunch of marginal garbage events rolling through this week, hoping for some Randolph flukiness to keep it mostly a little snow then some drizzle versus a washout.

I'm gonna be patient but I was really hoping to be done with 37 and rain by now. :) 

This pattern is absolute garbage. Once it becomes a little less hostile (signs of this happening as we go into early December) I’d expect some real threats to start happening for NNE. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s possible it’s very little snow and more ZR or IP too.  I don’t really know that area well other than passing through several times on my way to Errol for a canoe trip.  

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s possible it’s very little snow and more ZR or IP too.  I don’t really know that area well other than passing through several times on my way to Errol for a canoe trip.  

GYX has been talking about a minor ice threat. We will see. Haven't had a chance to see a frozen to rain event yet. Seen several of the other direction, and I feel like I changeover to frozen very quickly here if the winds are out of the NW, N, or NE. Takes longer from the west.

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

GYX has been talking about a minor ice threat. We will see. Haven't had a chance to see a frozen to rain event yet. Seen several of the other direction, and I feel like I changeover to frozen very quickly here if the winds are out of the NW, N, or NE. Takes longer from the west.

I wonder if you rip good winds from the E or NE too.  You have a similar wind issue that I have when it comes to measuring. It’s tough.  

33/22   No virga yet just mid level overcast.  Echoes about 40 miles SW

Husband was exposed to Covid on Friday so we have to quarantine.  No big deal on a cold overcast day.

Good day to stay in and work on a jigsaw puzzle of  Stowe views.  One of the best pictures ever from PF.   Puzzle wasn't hard to get the top part done  but all the spruce laced with snow is a bitch to do.

jpuz.jpg

• Like 3

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic