Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I skied in -15 in Canada one time. -25 windchills once as well in western MD. But it was always just a single day and I was able to duck into the lodge as needed. I hope to freeze my nuts off this winter. 

Have skied wind chills of -70 with a -30 air temp it was awful 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Plenty of snow showers out there this evening but not seeing any accumulation, still too warm here in town for anything more than flakes flying.

Looks like Jay Peak area has had a steadier stream of moisture past couple hours and it’s building up a bit to the north in Franklin County.

7CB97B1D-36D4-48CC-B5E5-6CDF559F8528.gif.9769c5a2ca2814173fa411a798e65729.gif

We’re getting some additional accumulations here during the more vigorous bouts of precipitation as the temperatures start to come down.  The precipitation I’ve seen is still generally graupel, which helps it achieve those transient accumulations.  The temperatures should continue to cool though:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

631 PM EST Mon Nov 16 2020

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...

As of 540 PM EST Monday...Any rain showers will transition to snow as temperatures cool after sunset. The bulk of the activity will occur through about midnight, with coverage becoming more isolated and tied to the terrain thereafter. A weak cold front will sink south out of Canada later on Tuesday, and this may allow some additional showers to develop, especially over the northern mountains.

As you showed, the radar has that westerly flow with areas of varying precipitation intensity, but the precipitation is generally frozen:

16NOV20A.gif

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I skied in -15 in Canada one time. -25 windchills once as well in western MD. But it was always just a single day and I was able to duck into the lodge as needed. I hope to freeze my nuts off this winter. 

We were down to about -36 around New Year's a couple of years ago. Conditions were great but nobody was skiing lol

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some decent graupel squalls.  A tenth or so of dippin’ dots now whitening the deck and garden.

I’m seeing 1-2” on the cams up high and looks like 1500ft is white now with accumulation.

This squall strengthened nicely as it hit the spine.  Best snow/graupel of the day so far.

558EBC6A-6694-4139-8C7C-0027916D3F29.gif.48fa8cd113df2b5a9673b9fbad6de29e.gif

Was even graupeling in Montpelier when I went for my evening walk. A little bit raw feeling at 37° but not awful. 

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Was even graupeling in Montpelier when I went for my evening walk. A little bit raw feeling at 37° but not awful. 

I bet you’ll see some snow soon.  We went from graupel over to fluffy flakes and ground has whitened up with this squall line.

Looks like it may be redeveloping south towards MPV area with some of those cores south of 89.

B5103C1C-B325-4640-AFF2-5A7E24E59B63.gif.f0ff9978b713e0d2daef6ca89860c667.gif

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I bet you’ll see some snow soon.  We went from graupel over to fluffy flakes and ground has whitened up with this squall line.

Looks like it may be redeveloping south towards MPV area with some of those cores south of 89.

B5103C1C-B325-4640-AFF2-5A7E24E59B63.gif.f0ff9978b713e0d2daef6ca89860c667.gif

Yup. Flakes flying and deck coated. 

It is interesting to see who will be in the snowy spot  Phin or Alex.  Last time I checked it was snowing at Phin and not at Alex.  Now Alex is getting white but sun is out as Phin.

Here 36.7F  Occ flurries with vis 3-8 miles as they pass through

Sad that this stuff is even worth posting about 

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It is interesting to see who will be in the snowy spot  Phin or Alex.  Last time I checked it was snowing at Phin and not at Alex.  Now Alex is getting white but sun is out as Phin.

Here 36.7F  Occ flurries with vis 3-8 miles as they pass through

Sad that this stuff is even worth posting about 

So far early-on is seems pretty similar between our spots. Alex did a little better in the October event that favored western locations with the changeover (the event where Whitefield of all places crushed the competition). That event was kind of fluky. Otherwise, it's been pretty similar, just normal variance here and there. I am looking forward to a real synoptic coastal storm without this changeover BS so we can really put this to the test.

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Speaking of cameras, is Nest having an outage? I can't even connect with my account, let alone my caemra! And yesterday Leviton had server issues; my lights were going on and off at random! So much for "smart" home... made me miss an old fashioned switch that does what you tell it to do lol

I can access via the web but not via the app. It's an issue with logging in to the account. If you access the shared link as a public user, it should work.

LOL at the lights. That's sitcom stuff right there.

25 minutes ago, alex said:

Speaking of cameras, is Nest having an outage? I can't even connect with my account, let alone my caemra! And yesterday Leviton had server issues; my lights were going on and off at random! So much for "smart" home... made me miss an old fashioned switch that does what you tell it to do lol

Maybe it is.  I can connect to your cam, Phin's, my neighbors nest cam but if I try mine it errors out.  Technology!  Arrgghh.  We had a 20 year old washing machine never an issue.  Finally motor went so we bought a "smart" machine.  Now when we have a quick power outage, off and on type the mother board fries.  So now we are told we have to unplug and plug in each time we use.

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can access via the web but not via the app. It's an issue with logging in to the account. If you access the shared link as a public user, it should work.

LOL at the lights. That's sitcom stuff right there.

It was actually kinda freaky lol. It started happening as I was getting my son to bed and I was like - WTF? Kept happening for about an hour. It's funny in retrospective, I was not amused at the time lol. Watching TV and the living room lights kept going on and off. At least it wasn't the middle of the night. Had it happened while I was sleeping you'd have heard me scream in anger from Randolph 

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic