Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I measured in a bunch of different spots. Most readings between 1.5 and 2. Probably somewhere in that range just with the ruler check. It feels like a lot more because it is laying everywhere and drifting. I am not used to an inch or two of snow covering so well. Usually in MD we waste a couple inches on a slush “base” before the snow really piles up. I drove around the corner to where the observer lives. Didn’t look any different there (as expected given it’s well below freezing). I am interested in what he reports with more diligent measuring avoiding compaction. My snow reports are of course mostly just a guess. I am not scientific about it at all. 

Pretty soon there will be reports of a stalker in Randolph, NH with MD plates :lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Incredible wind with persistent flurries and occasional snow showers that have been enough to put down the lightest dusting so far. I'm impressed with the temperature drop here - down to 25 which isn't too shabby for 2pm on the second day of November!

03z-09z tonight looks fun. Feeling good about finally scoring my first accumulation. The snow squall parameter looks very good on the BTV 4km WRF, so I expect many of us outside of the favored upslope areas will wake up to a coating to 2" come tomorrow morning.

Nice Elevation for Jackson, You must be over in E Jackson (looks like SE to NE Jackson are quite elevated

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I measured in a bunch of different spots. Most readings between 1.5 and 2. Probably somewhere in that range just with the ruler check. It feels like a lot more because it is laying everywhere and drifting. I am not used to an inch or two of snow covering so well. Usually in MD we waste a couple inches on a slush “base” before the snow really piles up. I drove around the corner to where the observer lives. Didn’t look any different there (as expected given it’s well below freezing). I am interested in what he reports with more diligent measuring avoiding compaction. My snow reports are of course mostly just a guess. I am not scientific about it at all. 

That sounds right. I “guessed-measured” 1.75

41 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Back camera not working so all I have is this crappy front door spot.  Wind must be going crazy up there so id just be guessing at totals, but it looks like we got a little less than down toward Stowe.

59D448DC-2052-4DF5-9DA1-9BB698F068E0.jpeg

That looks pretty good TBH.  Really hard to say with the drifting.  The Jay base area is a notoriously terrible spot to try to get a real number at, lol.  Always 0-12" (except when it's 0-24").  

I bet it's pretty uniform 3-6" up and down the Spine.  I do think Waterbury looked to get the best of it on radar and friends have estimated similar to J.Spin of a 5-7" snowfall even at very low elevation.

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

Its like when people shovel off their lawns and throw the snow in the road to melt.

That's a late winter tradition in the St. John Valley, though usually done by snowblower so they can cover both lanes.

A few flakes sailing by in the wind here.  We've remained comfortably between the echoes to our west and those to the northeast.  A few flickers on the lamp as well - waiting for a full blink to cut off my link to the state network.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Round 1 definitely wrapping up.  Visibility greatly improved here at the mountain and I see the ASOS down valley is up to 4 mile vis too. 

We’re definitely in that interlude period with shortwave ridging as the BTV NWS forecast discussion notes:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

923 AM EST Mon Nov 2 2020

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...

Snow showers will briefly wane this afternoon as shortwave ridging aloft briefly traverses the North Country. However, a reinvigorated shot of snow showers is expected late tonight through Tuesday morning with the passage of a shortwave trough and its surface reflection.

I’ve been watching to see if I’ll need to split this event apart into two storms, but thus far we’ve had the usual continuation of some flakes in the air with peeks of sun.  We’ll see if we fully clear out, but we just had another small pulse of moisture push through:

02NOV20B.gif

On 11/1/2020 at 2:30 PM, backedgeapproaching said:

Maybe this is what you were reading, not sure, but BTV has a nice succinct write up about it. Even non METS can sort of understand. :)

https://www.weather.gov/btv/froude

Yep, thanks...that’s the one I was reading.  Good stuff.  If you find any others, pass them along.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That looks pretty good TBH.  Really hard to say with the drifting.  The Jay base area is a notoriously terrible spot to try to get a real number at, lol.  Always 0-12" (except when it's 0-24").  

I bet it's pretty uniform 3-6" up and down the Spine.  I do think Waterbury looked to get the best of it on radar and friends have estimated similar to J.Spin of a 5-7" snowfall even at very low elevation.

I’ll have to get my special “jay” measuring stick for reporting totals this year.  It’s funny, they will always beat everyone in the east in snow totals, yet there’s still those rumors that they over report.  It will be interesting to compare my totals to theirs this year.  They should just get a summit snow stake cam and end the debate, though I couldn’t imagine ever getting a solid reading up on that ridge.

I'm going to try something different this year.  Record how many winter days I snow in the air.  Today is a good example.  While the guys further north record actual snowfall I just have flurries in the air most of the day.  That rarely happened down in Boston.  Today was number 4 although we only had one day of real accumulation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

This could have easily been the best event of a winter down there.

Funny you say that, I’ve got a new employee from Maryland and we were just walking past this scene and his comment was “Last night someone at a gas station said something about we might get a little snow.  Where I’m from this would’ve been talked about for a week straight and school would’ve been cancelled two days in advanced.  This would’ve been a really big deal.”

919773FF-09C7-4DC4-B79E-67ED08DE5AC1.jpeg.eecc4bdc3146dc4265c750a66801ebd0.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Nice Elevation for Jackson, You must be over in E Jackson (looks like SE to NE Jackson are quite elevated

Yes, I'm a mile up the road from Black Mountain ski area...essentially near the base of the Doublehead ski trail up on Dundee Road. Definitely a high spot for this area.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

The updated BTV NWS maps for this event are below.  As was noted, there are now some WWA over in NNH.  On the projected accumulations map, the numbers are up just a bit in the valleys, but some areas of 12-18” shading are appearing near the peaks.

02NOV20C.jpg

02NOV20D.jpg

I know those two peaks...if only two weeks later.

Only 0.6" on my snow board from rounds 1 and 2, so it's safe to say the upslope has been a disappointment down here so far. This stuff is hard to measure with some "drifts" to 2-3" around the house. Awaiting to see what the clipper brings us for round 3 overnight...

I haven't been able to get the deeper moisture profiles needed to get a more robust upslope snowstorm this far south. It's one of those deals where you can clearly see the silhouette of the sun or moon through the clouds. The bigger events tend to produce a thicker cloud cover where the sun or moon aren't visible. 

32 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Only 0.6" on my snow board from rounds 1 and 2, so it's safe to say the upslope has been a disappointment down here so far. This stuff is hard to measure with some "drifts" to 2-3" around the house. Awaiting to see what the clipper brings us for round 3 overnight...

I haven't been able to get the deeper moisture profiles needed to get a more robust upslope snowstorm this far south. It's one of those deals where you can clearly see the silhouette of the sun or moon through the clouds. The bigger events tend to produce a thicker cloud cover where the sun or moon aren't visible. 

Same exact total here. I think tonight was always going to be the one to get the totals up in SVT, so we will see how it plays out.  I have noticed that most of my uplsope events that produce anything substantial are almost always nocturnal.  Substantial for here I consider 3-6", unless its an anomalous event like NOV '16 or Jan 2010 or something like that which were day and night events.   It just seems like during the day time its always more cellular in nature while night its get more consolidated.  Again, just speaking for my backyard specifically.   

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Same exact total here. I think tonight was always going to be the one to get the totals up in SVT, so we will see how it plays out.  I have noticed that most of my uplsope events that produce anything substantial are almost always nocturnal.  Substantial for here I consider 3-6", unless its an anomalous event like NOV '16 or Jan 2010 or something like that which were day and night events.   It just seems like during the day time its always more cellular in nature while night its get more consolidated.  Again, just speaking for my backyard specifically.   

While not always the case, I've noticed the same thing. Stability tends to increase at night so that would favor a more stratiform type of upslope as opposed to a cellular (unstable) or streamer (neutral stability) upslope so there is definitely merit to this observation. The streamers can nail a particular location if you manage to get one over you for a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex said:

Really nice to have more NNE'rs on here. So much activity! Before it was always just PF, JSpin and me! 

I’d chime in with the odd report now and then. “Looks like 3” or 4” on my deck” of the always popular “My car thermo read 27° when I came home from my meeting”. That’s the type of hard science I excel at. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Event totals: 7.1” Snow/0.70” L.E.

We picked up an additional 0.3” of accumulation today before the snowfall finally wound down.  I was unsure if these two systems would blend together enough to be considered one event, but the substantial break we’ve had clearly indicates that the upcoming Clipper/upper-level shortwave is its own discrete storm.  So, the totals above will represent the final numbers for today’s event.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 28.6 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic