Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was thinking about you today when I saw that LOL.  Much better vibe when they are off.  But can’t have Pickle’s cougar slip in her fur boots leaving the hotel in January.

The worst is if it is wet. If somehow the sidewalk could immediately evaporate and stay dry, that is much better. :lol:  The wet sidewalks make it awful as the snow melts.

My wife isn’t going to win any photo awards but she said 3-4” at home.

I made her go measure what’s on her car and that’s as precise as she wanted to be lol.

I think first round is mostly done... it’s starting to dry up on radar right on cue.  Looked like a 6a-12pm deal... next round starts this evening.

Hopefully we can double this up tonight.

FDC39B6F-56CB-4906-9D96-487AB139E5FD.jpeg.f547cc8920dfa179a91b83d8bfb6086b.jpeg

Event totals: 6.8” Snow/0.69” L.E.

Snowfall has been running generally in the ~1 in/hr. range through the morning here at our site, with 5.7” of new snow since the clearing of the boards at last observations time.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.37 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.4

Snow Density: 6.5% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The windblown snow is absolutely nuts across my field. I will need to go down into the woods later to see how deep the snow is in there. 

Ha yeah the wind at 1,500ft in these events is crazy.  I have no doubt its better blizzard conditions than anything you'll see in MD.  Just goes straight whiteout at times in 40mph gusts.

2 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 6.8” Snow/0.69” L.E.

Snowfall has been running generally in the ~1 in/hr. range through the morning here at our site, with 5.7” of new snow since the clearing of the boards at last observations time.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.37 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.4

Snow Density: 6.5% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

Damn, 7" on the ground.  Nice work.  The wind is capping us around the 5" mark up here at the mountain as far as I can see.  It keeps snowing but it's not getting any deeper, just going sideways.

Even still that 0.37" water amount is more than models had for this first round this morning.

56 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The windblown snow is absolutely nuts across my field. I will need to go down into the woods later to see how deep the snow is in there. 

That happens all winter - same with the area that my camera is pointed out. Sometimes it's bare after a foot of snow lol! This year I put a stake in a densely wooded (firs) area, in a clearing between the trees, where usually I see some crazy depths in the winter - just for curiosity. 

Round 1 definitely wrapping up.  Visibility greatly improved here at the mountain and I see the ASOS down valley is up to 4 mile vis too.  

Best I can do is 5.5" here at 1,500ft.  Really becoming impossible to tell for sure with the wind.  Looking at the ski trails they look quite wind scoured.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Round 1 definitely wrapping up.  Visibility greatly improved here at the mountain and I see the ASOS down valley is up to 4 mile vis too.  

Best I can do is 5.5" here at 1,500ft.  Really becoming impossible to tell for sure with the wind.  Looking at the ski trails they look quite wind scoured.

Any hairy Italians from Moosup on the slopes? I was told in 2013 that 2-3" of snow was just fine for skiing and sledding. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I think he looks like a bit of a judgmental snowman. Not too impressed yet based on that sneer. Best we could do with some mulch. :)  

Not bad there. You'll get some WAA flow from the SW and then winds go NW tomorrow morning. I wonder how you do on the SW-W flow?

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

One thing upslope is not too good for is making snowmen and snowballs. Baltimore cement has it beat in that department. That stuff sticks like glue. 

Upslope snow is for skiing… and scenery.  Actually, as long as there’s some base, it’s great for lots of stuff like sledding, snowshoeing, snow angels, snowmobiling, etc., etc.  You can eventually use it for structural stuff, but you have to wait for it to warm up a bit.

ChampagnePowder.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Upslope snow is for skiing… and scenery.  Actually, as long as there’s some base, it’s great for lots of stuff like sledding, snowshoeing, snow angels, snowmobiling, etc., etc.  You can eventually use it for structural stuff, but you have to wait for it to warm up a bit.

ChampagnePowder.jpg

LOL trust me I will take this any day. 

Incredible wind with persistent flurries and occasional snow showers that have been enough to put down the lightest dusting so far. I'm impressed with the temperature drop here - down to 25 which isn't too shabby for 2pm on the second day of November!

03z-09z tonight looks fun. Feeling good about finally scoring my first accumulation. The snow squall parameter looks very good on the BTV 4km WRF, so I expect many of us outside of the favored upslope areas will wake up to a coating to 2" come tomorrow morning.

I measured in a bunch of different spots. Most readings between 1.5 and 2. Probably somewhere in that range just with the ruler check. It feels like a lot more because it is laying everywhere and drifting. I am not used to an inch or two of snow covering so well. Usually in MD we waste a couple inches on a slush “base” before the snow really piles up. I drove around the corner to where the observer lives. Didn’t look any different there (as expected given it’s well below freezing). I am interested in what he reports with more diligent measuring avoiding compaction. My snow reports are of course mostly just a guess. I am not scientific about it at all. 

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic