Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

18 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

No clue how you'd measure this. It's blowing all over the place on the south facing side with the field. Some spots are bare and other protected spots have two inches piled up. I am guessing there is an inch and a half out there all things considered.

Def don't measure in the open field with this stuff....you prob want to try and find a fairly sheltered place where some trees are close enough to keep the wind from going crazy, but not so close as to contaminate the snowfall itself. Maybe the north side of your place?

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

No clue how you'd measure this. It's blowing all over the place on the south facing side with the field. Some spots are bare and other protected spots have two inches piled up. I am guessing there is an inch and a half out there all things considered.

Try to find an area that's unaffected by wind, or measure in multiple spots and average (but hard to do when there is so little). 1.5" seems like an overestimate, I measured 3/4" in a calm area

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This event is pretty robust considering you are getting the echoes showing up so well in the White Mts....Alex will often report decent upslope when you can barely see the echoes, so this one is deeper in the atmosphere...rather than some of the lower level shallow upslope

Nov2_1044amRadar.gif

6 minutes ago, alex said:

Try to find an area that's unaffected by wind, or measure in multiple spots and average (but hard to do when there is so little). 1.5" seems like an overestimate, I measured 3/4" in a calm area

I'm glad I have a really diligent CoCoRaHS observer up the street. I don't have the patience or interest to be super accurate with measuring when it's blowing all around. 

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm glad I have a really diligent CoCoRaHS observer up the street. I don't have the patience or interest to be super accurate with measuring when it's blowing all around. 

Its very tough in those conditions to measure, Like others have mentioned, Have to find an area that is somewhat sheltered from the wind but not the snowfall,  Something i never have to concern myself over here with as we down slope off the Mahoosucs on NW winds.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Getting consistent 5” measurements around the base area at 1500ft.  It’s so windy though it’s like 0-10” outside this plaza.

The heated sidewalks aren’t turned on yet!! Ha.

Not bad for round 1... tonight’s looks like it’s got twice the water at least.

E88AF1DD-5F78-422D-883F-63BF6288A23F.jpeg.af0145a005706a3faf1fb500a4b47b4b.jpeg

CF7E8509-FDE1-4379-91C2-ACB0777554B0.jpeg.bdc7892af82ce43bfda9231e49800619.jpeg

You have been pegged for this for a few days now, Upslope looked very good there.

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You have been pegged for this for a few days now, Upslope looked very good there.

Yeah these events are pretty stable once the models figure it out.  Not much changes as opposed to like a coastal storm or synoptic events.

We’ll see what tonight brings, I think we can do double digits at 1500ft.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah these events are pretty stable once the models figure it out.  Not much changes as opposed to like a coastal storm or synoptic events.

We’ll see what tonight brings, I think we can do double digits at 1500ft.

Great to see actually, Nice to have the season back as well as EST for models.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, ORH_wxman said:

Thank god the heated sidewalks are not on yet at Stowe.....those things make me irrationally angry.

I was thinking about your posts when I said that.  Much better vibe when they are off.  But can’t have Pickle’s cougar slip in her fur boots leaving the hotel in January.

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic