Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.32” L.E.

The precipitation here at our site had been rain from the start of this storm yesterday afternoon, and it stayed that way into the evening with valley temperatures just dropping into the 30s F.  Temperatures continued to fall overnight though, and snow was already flying at observations time this morning.  The gauge caught 0.19” of liquid from the start of the storm, and there didn’t seem to be much transitional precipitation, because the base of the stack on the snowboards was relatively dry.  The accumulation had some decent density to it, but it was certainly drier than our most recent accumulation last week.  Temperatures have fallen below freezing now, so I suspect the next round of accumulation will be drier with daytime highs not expected to rise too far into the 30s F.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.9

Snow Density: 12.7% H2O

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like the flow is a bit blocked? Probably opens up more downstream today.

It’s hard to tell, it’s definitely ripping snow here.

The scans make it tough, the higher the angle of the radar scan the more blocked it looks.  I try for a lower scan that does hit Mansfield but shows much better snow over here from Stowe to Waterbury.

It’s almost like the higher echos on the lower scans are on the east slope.  But there’s a lot of downwind movement too from when the radar hits the fluffy flakes and where they actually reach the ground.

Like this scan is still 6,000ft up over me showing 30dbz snows...that’s probably actually hitting the ground miles eastward lol. Blocked flow would have those echos stopping more at the Spine.

E054F2CC-7EC1-468B-8BB9-6FEE425593EB.thumb.jpeg.af4a0c6344f17ddf9128ed6432725df0.jpeg

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is snowing nicely.  MVL ASOS dropped under 1 mile vis for the first time of the season in snow.

Radar looks great.  The office at the ski area is going to get destroyed, lol.

Yeah, here’s the composite radar – it has that classic look from the WNW with those pulses of 30+ db moisture, so that’s a good sign.

02NOV20A.gif

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s hard to tell, it’s definitely ripping snow here.

The scans make it tough, the higher the angle of the radar scan the more blocked it looks.  I try for a lower scan that does hit Mansfield but shows much better snow over here from Stowe to Waterbury.

It’s almost like the higher echos on the lower scans are on the east slope.  But there’s a lot of downwind movement too from when the radar hits the fluffy flakes and where they actually reach the ground.

Like this scan is still 6,000ft up over me showing 30dbz snows...that’s probably actually hitting the ground miles eastward lol. Blocked flow would have those echos stopping more at the Spine.

E054F2CC-7EC1-468B-8BB9-6FEE425593EB.thumb.jpeg.af4a0c6344f17ddf9128ed6432725df0.jpeg

I was just going by how much is even near the BTV area, but could be just a large cyclonic fetch of moisture involved too. Pretty cool...should stack there.

I’ve got the updated event maps from the BTV NWS below.  They’ve definitely expanded the initial Winter Weather Advisories eastward and southward somewhat, and that lake effect snow warning has been added off to the west.  The projected accumulations map is fairly similar to what was put out yesterday, with what seems like a bit of a bump in the accumulations for the lower elevations.  Our point forecast here got a nudge upward for tonight with 3” to 5”, but it’s still in that general 5” to 10” range overall.

02NOV20A.jpg

02NOV20B.jpg

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was just going by how much is even near the BTV area, but could be just a large cyclonic fetch of moisture involved too. Pretty cool...should stack there.

Yeah it’s backed up close to BTV true.

Left for work and had just under 2” on the car at 750ft.

We’ll see what 1500ft has shortly.

E5DF4081-6CA6-47F7-82C0-1F7C08715F6A.jpeg.cc0c9747591cd4cda7a96ace31d4926e.jpeg

Jealous of the Vermonters this morning. Cold and windy with some stray flakes flying around here, but obviously I wasn't expecting much in my location. The signal continues to look good for squalls tonight, so I'm thinking we could have some fun in the 11pm-2am timeframe.

Good luck to the usual suspects, and please continue to post pics!

Wow.  Full Blizzard conditions at 1500ft.

PD was getting ready to shut down RT 108 at Harlow Hill.  Wide loads stuck at the base and numerous cars off further up the road.  

Roads are a sheet of ice at 28F with snow on top.  Plow can’t scrape that ice layer from the initial melting.

1/4sm or less visibility up here at the base.

3B5B0AEB-9D7E-44EC-8529-B7DFCAE13699.jpeg.f52dbeedfee165a547d7843ea20ce757.jpeg

98F099AF-8FEF-4627-A2B1-62B3517AB15B.jpeg.54e324b542b8f4e41f4e4e021a1d351d.jpeg

4BFCA245-ABC3-498C-A7D5-C4227F881372.jpeg.118f6ca1cd99f21cd8ef6849bc706e35.jpeg

The Spine just ripping flakes out of the clouds.

Easily 1"/hr at the ski resort... best guess would be around 4" at the base right now.  It's got some density to it up here too, plows actually have something to push around.

J.Spin has to be getting pummeled.  Probably the same rates as up here but without the wind.

WUNIDS_map.gif.9df98c0297dce25861b6218b306b2ba4.gif

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The Spine just ripping flakes out of the clouds.

Easily 1"/hr at the ski resort... best guess would be around 4" at the base right now.  It's got some density to it up here too, plows actually have something to push around.

J.Spin has to be getting pummeled.  Probably the same rates as up here but without the wind.

WUNIDS_map.gif.9df98c0297dce25861b6218b306b2ba4.gif

Yeah, I’d say the snowfall rate is in the 1”/hr. range.  I wasn’t up then, but my wife said snow started up around 5:10 A.M., and as of 9:00 A.M. we’d picked up 4 inches, so that’s right in line with that average rate.  Total accumulation was between 5 and 6 inches last time I checked.

3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, I’d say the snowfall rate is in the 1”/hr. range.  I wasn’t up then, but my wife said snow started up around 5:10 A.M., and as of 9:00 A.M. we’d picked up 4 inches, so that’s right in line with that average rate.  Total accumulation was between 5 and 6 inches last time I checked.

Ha, that’s awesome.  About what I’d expect without any wind.  You’ll get a foot from this event.

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic