Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

Such a great educational post for someone like me trying to learn about these up-slope events.  I was literally just reading a paper about the blocked vs. unblocked events and froude numbers (all new to me).  So it looks like for the Jay/Mansfield area, we want an unblocked flow which leads to greater precip on the the eastern side?  What Froude number is best; anything over 1?  

Maybe this is what you were reading, not sure, but BTV has a nice succinct write up about it. Even non METS can sort of understand. :)

https://www.weather.gov/btv/froude

2 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Thanks for the updates – it looks like snow levels are still pretty high, with snow falling at the Bolton Valley Vista Peak Live Cam at ~3,150’, but no flakes visible on the Bolton Valley Main Base Live Cam at ~2,150’.

Wet flakes are making it down to top of Mtn Triple at like 2600-2700ft.  Accumulations are 2800-2900ft and up.  I just walked it the rain line ha.  Not as much fun.

Dont know if this works, but a vid of it on Instagram: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHD4_t1B9-A/?igshid=elxopp9x865g

Here’s the projected accumulations map the BTV NWS has up in association with the incoming weather.  They’ve got us in the 6-8” shading down here, with 8-12” shading for the elevations.  That seems pretty consistent with the point forecast here, although the WWA highlights accumulations above elevations of 1,000’.

01NOV20B.jpg

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wet flakes are making it down to top of Mtn Triple at like 2600-2700ft.  Accumulations are 2800-2900ft and up.  I just walked it the rain line ha.  Not as much fun.

Dont know if this works, but a vid of it on Instagram: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHD4_t1B9-A/?igshid=elxopp9x865g

That worked great – I was able to click on it and view it easily.  Nice to see!

• Like 1

Could not have asked for a better day in the alpine yesterday; I summited Mount Adams around 10:30am and could see clear to the Atlantic Ocean! I've been up there a bunch, but I have never seen such unlimited visibility before. It was 16 degrees with a wind averaging in the 15-20 mph, so I didn't snap too many pics as my hands got cold fast.

Definitely looks like an interesting couple of days up here. Again, I don't expect much (if anything) from the upslope event here in Jackson though I am interested in seeing how the Froude number applies here in the Whites. It continues to look like there is pretty good Windex potential tomorrow night as that second impulse swings through, so if we're finally going to whiten the ground in my location this is probably our best shot.

Pic below is from the summit of Mount Adams looking toward Mount Madison yesterday morning.

madison.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Could not have asked for a better day in the alpine yesterday; I summited Mount Adams around 10:30am and could see clear to the Atlantic Ocean! I've been up there a bunch, but I have never seen such unlimited visibility before. It was 16 degrees with a wind averaging in the 15-20 mph, so I didn't snap too many pics as my hands got cold fast.

Definitely looks like an interesting couple of days up here. Again, I don't expect much (if anything) from the upslope event here in Jackson though I am interested in seeing how the Froude number applies here in the Whites. It continues to look like there is pretty good Windex potential tomorrow night as that second impulse swings through, so if we're finally going to whiten the ground in my location this is probably our best shot.

Pic below is from the summit of Mount Adams looking toward Mount Madison yesterday morning.

madison.jpg

I thought I saw you up there when I was on my deck. LOL

• Haha 2

The upslope will catch most of the snow but still looking at the HRRR I should get an inch or two between flurries and the system tomorrow night.  More importantly will be the temperatures tomorrow.  I may stay below freezing all day and with the wind  the windchill will be impressive for 11/2

• Like 1

Tomorrow morning does have a nice little period.  The 18z ECMWF from 6-10am shows temps of 32-29F in the valley with a steady light snow.

A9A94ABC-3693-4E2D-8625-457051D30FF2.thumb.png.ca41920fb5931965e5563ff4a344bb65.png

Total water after the clipper-like system tomorrow night is decent for a global model.  I do think it’s good when the global models show these type of progs... they know there’s terrain there and can often underestimate it.  Usually this is a very good look for a global model.

Jackpot right over Mansfield, Bolton and J.Spins house, lol.

C83538F1-7F65-4712-91B2-F8311120B648.thumb.png.800663a2881c4e27734fda9ddd58d391.png

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic