Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

37 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Had a dusting this morning like everyone else. Got down to 27 last night, 35 here now. It looks like there might be some drizzle action going on, I am viewing through the cam so not sure.

I'm 50 miles to your southwest and have had heavy drizzle with fine raindrops all morning.  I assume it is the same at your property with echoes going that way

Hi everyone! It's been several years since I've been active on this page - in fact so many years that I couldn't recover my old password due to a retired email account, and therefore had to create a new profile lol. I'm formerly kulaginman and I'm actually a "red tagger" (graduated from the Plymouth State meteorology program about 15 years ago). 

In any event, I'd like to contribute to this page once again and I recently moved to a tiny place at an elevation of 1500' on the shoulder of North Doublehead Mountain in Jackson, NH...so this could be a very interesting meteorological location. I'm about a mile away from Black Mountain Ski Resort.

Hoping for the first weenie flakes in my location tonight (we missed the big event on October 17th which blanketed the other side of the notches). Cheers to a snowy northern New England winter ahead.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Hi everyone! It's been several years since I've been active on this page - in fact so many years that I couldn't recover my old password due to a retired email account, and therefore had to create a new profile lol. I'm formerly kulaginman and I'm actually a "red tagger" (graduated from the Plymouth State meteorology program about 15 years ago). 

In any event, I'd like to contribute to this page once again and I recently moved to a tiny place at an elevation of 1500' on the shoulder of North Doublehead Mountain in Jackson, NH...so this could be a very interesting meteorological location. I'm about a mile away from Black Mountain Ski Resort.

Hoping for the first weenie flakes in my location tonight (we missed the big event on October 17th which blanketed the other side of the notches). Cheers to a snowy northern New England winter ahead.

Hey dude!  I remember you for sure!  Great to see that name.  Were you in the BGM area at one point?  Trying to remember your old posting location.

Thats great to see a familiar name from the EUSWX or earlier times.

Some -SN in Burlington per a video I just saw.  Snow showers moving in.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hey dude!  I remember you for sure!  Great to see that name.  Were you in the BGM area at one point?  Trying to remember your old posting location.

Thats great to see a familiar name from the EUSWX or earlier times.

Some -SN in Burlington per a video I just saw.  Snow showers moving in.

You've got it! I worked on air for three years at WBNG-TV in Binghamton. I made the difficult decision to leave the wx business shortly after my stint there, so now I'm a meteorologist by degree but no longer working in the field professionally.

I couldn't be more excited to be living in the White Mountains now. For the last ten years I have been your classic "weekend warrior" making the 2+ hour trek north every weekend, but my company's permanent shift to remote work allowed me to relocate this summer. I am an obsessive hiker/skier (mostly backcountry) and with North Doublehead literally in my backyard, I can skin right from my property. Really hoping for a good year up here!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Hi...Justin, I remember that original screen name. Glad to see you back on the forums. We overlapped a bit at Plymouth...I graduated with a BS in '07, MS in '10. 

You're in a good spot for snow up there in the heart of CAD country. Any idea what the annual averages are like at your location? 

I've since relocated to a decent snow spot high up in the Green Mountains of far southern Vermont. I get a nice mix of snow from coastal storms, southwesterly flow overrunners, and upslope on NW flow.

Look forward to your observations this winter.

1 minute ago, wxmanmitch said:

Hi...Justin, I remember that original screen name. Glad to see you back on the forums. We overlapped a bit at Plymouth...I graduated with a BS in '07, MS in '10. 

You're in a good spot for snow up there in the heart of CAD country. Any idea what the annual averages are like at your location? 

I've since relocated to a decent snow spot high up in the Green Mountains of far southern Vermont. I get a nice mix of snow from coastal storms, southwesterly flow overrunners, and upslope on NW flow.

Look forward to your observations this winter.

Hey Mitch! Yes, I remember our overlap...good to hear from you!

We've definitely had some good CAD days already in the last week. It held in the 30s all day yesterday before briefly spiking into the mid 40s last night. I have a Davis Vantage Vue that I'm trying to get connected to Wunderground, so hopefully I can begin broadcasting my data.

I think the average annual snowfall here is in the neighborhood of 90-95" but that's based primarily on the past few seasons of observations from nearby Black Mountain, so who knows how accurate that actually is. Upslope will be minimal to non-existent here (wrong side of the notches) but we should do quite well from coastal storms and I would imagine this is a very good spot for SWFEs. We'll probably be one of the very last locations to warm up. I anticipate many a 3-6"/4-8" snowfall followed by hours of -FZRA/-FZDZ while temps surge all around us haha. That cold air loves to get wedged into this elevation band on the eastern slope!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Nice! Another White Mountains resident. Welcome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jculligan said:

Having another red tagger in that area will likely excite Oceanst.  Welcome back.

Lightly snowing here as I type.  

19 minutes ago, alex said:

4th time in about 10 days with flakes. Not bad for October 

69643948-1296-4546-B761-1BE73C48AB6C.jpeg

Nothing here yet, and the echoes appear to be drying up on radar. We're essentially at the same elevation, but Crawford Notch and the surrounding 4k peaks may have been a catcher's mitt in this instance. I can even see stars.

1 minute ago, jculligan said:

Nothing here yet, and the echoes appear to be drying up on radar. We're essentially at the same elevation, but Crawford Notch and the surrounding 4k peaks may have been a catcher's mitt in this instance. I can even see stars.

Yes, I used to live on the Bartlett/Jackson line on the highest spot at Linderhoff. Any type of upslope dries up as it tries to cross over. You'll rock it in Noreasters though. 

2 hours ago, jculligan said:

You've got it! I worked on air for three years at WBNG-TV in Binghamton. I made the difficult decision to leave the wx business shortly after my stint there, so now I'm a meteorologist by degree but no longer working in the field professionally.

I couldn't be more excited to be living in the White Mountains now. For the last ten years I have been your classic "weekend warrior" making the 2+ hour trek north every weekend, but my company's permanent shift to remote work allowed me to relocate this summer. I am an obsessive hiker/skier (mostly backcountry) and with North Doublehead literally in my backyard, I can skin right from my property. Really hoping for a good year up here!!

Awesome!  Yeah I remember for sure.  Always enjoyed your posts and thoughts.  So great to add another MET to the NNE crew.

Looking forward to your obs and posts.  We are expanding our coverage up here!

Heavy rime ice on the trees at the ski area last night and today.  A few brief breaks in the sky and direct sunlight got pretty bright earlier.

Rare to see the trees so white and no snow on the trails.  Though I do think the upper elevations had some snow grains falling with the rime.  The rime level was around 2,500ft.

122869059_10104355757573770_533745012644

2 hours ago, jculligan said:

Welcome! It's awesome to see people moving up (like we did several years ago). No regrets here! By the way, in the winter there is no better place than Nestlenook Farm right below you to go for a walk. It's absolutely magical. Makes me feel like I'm in a Lifetime Xmas movie every time. 

While most of the "buzz" over the last two days has been focused on the synoptic system that is likely to bring the first widespread measurable snowfall to a good chunk of the region Thursday night into Friday morning...I must say I am rather impressed by the FROPA and potential Windex event that may follow for Sunday night into Monday morning. This obviously favors the Greens more than the Whites, though with steep lapse rates and fairly deep moisture in the surface to H7 layer I wouldn't rule out a period of accumulating snow down to the Notches in New Hampshire late Sunday night.

Nice to have at least a couple more opportunities for some early season flakes over the next 6-7 days.

16 hours ago, jculligan said:

Hey Mitch! Yes, I remember our overlap...good to hear from you!

We've definitely had some good CAD days already in the last week. It held in the 30s all day yesterday before briefly spiking into the mid 40s last night. I have a Davis Vantage Vue that I'm trying to get connected to Wunderground, so hopefully I can begin broadcasting my data.

I think the average annual snowfall here is in the neighborhood of 90-95" but that's based primarily on the past few seasons of observations from nearby Black Mountain, so who knows how accurate that actually is. Upslope will be minimal to non-existent here (wrong side of the notches) but we should do quite well from coastal storms and I would imagine this is a very good spot for SWFEs. We'll probably be one of the very last locations to warm up. I anticipate many a 3-6"/4-8" snowfall followed by hours of -FZRA/-FZDZ while temps surge all around us haha. That cold air loves to get wedged into this elevation band on the eastern slope!!

Welcome back, though every time a new/returned NH/VT member signs in, I again ask "Where are the Maineiacs from the northern/eastern part of the state?"

I think you will do better than 90-95.  I average 90" in my CAD-rich/upslope-absent location at 395'.  30 miles to my SW, Hartford, Maine in the Sumner hills at 700' has averaged 108" for the exact same period as my record here, 98-99 on.  At 1500' I'd expect you to get at least as much as they do, maybe a bit less from synoptics but more when the track is too close to the coast.

Lazy flakes drifting down - ground is cold (low was23) but current temp is 32-33 and no accum likely.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Saw Winni has some light snow currently. Not sure if Brian saw any.

Light mix started earlier this morning while I was at 35.3F   We have had catpaws for a few hours now.  Every once in awhile it goes over to snow.  This is my second T of the season.

Welcome J Culligan to the NNE forums.  N NH finally getting some good posters.  I'm so happy I moved up here from Boston Metro in 2001.  No more coastal fronts to deal with just the Greens and Whites stealing most of the upslope snow

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Light mix started earlier this morning while I was at 35.3F   We have had catpaws for a few hours now.  Every once in awhile it goes over to snow.  This is my second T of the season.

Welcome J Culligan to the NNE forums.  N NH finally getting some good posters.  I'm so happy I moved up here from Boston Metro in 2001.  No more coastal fronts to deal with just the Greens and Whites stealing most of the upslope snow

You'll miss the biggies.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

You'll miss the biggies.

Gene can chime in this, but I recall him or maybe dendrite mentioning that its been a quite a stretch without a 16" snowfall. I cant recall the exact threshold he mentioned , maybe 16" or 18". You would think think that area is due for a bigger event.

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic