• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

It's Mid September so it's time for a NNE cold season thread.   Let's hope for lots of storms!

To start the thread off I'll ask a question.   How is COVID going to affect the ski industry?  Could be tough with lots of people breathing on each other in lodges.  On the other hand this was a busy tourist season (at least in the Lakes Region of NH)  so maybe people are more apt to stay local in New England and not travel to warmer climates??  Thoughts?

• Like 1

Thank you Alex.  The new camera is great.  I can even see the rain drops splashing in the water.  Now I can watch the snow line on Mt Washington and the leaves turn.  It will happen fast now that your going to be having nightly frosts.  You had a great summer.  Seemed like less upslope clouds with endless sunshine with super warm temperatures.

I'll give you a call soon to catchup on things

https://video.nest.com/live/S9cztU6Ans

Spent the weekend walking the ridgeline in the distance.

50369261752_d6cc9eaa1a_b.jpg

Northwoods Stewardship Center did a great job working the Kingdom Heritage trail through some deep woods.

The Moose Rut is kicking in. Bumped this fella early on and spent Saturday night listening to cows calling for bulls. 

50369261757_1ca7491521_b.jpg

It is incredibly dry, only a couple spots with running water over our 20 mile walk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, borderwx said:

The Moose Rut is kicking in. Bumped this fella early on and spent Saturday night listening to cows calling for bulls. 

50369261757_1ca7491521_b.jpg

It is incredibly dry, only a couple spots with running water over our 20 mile walk

That’s awesome!  What a beast to come face to face with.  That’s a beauty and looks pretty free of ticks there given how uniform the coat looks.

I saw one moose three times this summer, ha, and it was a young bull with only like 6-8” antlers.

In fact that same moose just wandered through the ski area base plaza last week.

3DB00124-78C3-401B-BFBB-ABB757B4F92A.thumb.jpeg.266330cddbc0f77d87a678b57594769d.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Can see why Phin left MD and made bee line for NH. Forgot what disaster winter was in the Mid-Atl last year.  .3" in Philly..ouch.

nohrsc_seasnow.us_ne.thumb.png.9da8b16787941f5f368b88b805606cf8.png

I've been looking for that kind of map for ages, thanks for posting it. As you can see it shows an especially sharp gradient in Worcester county, and on a number of trips the snow cover increased fast once I made my way to NH.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:07 PM, backedgeapproaching said:

Can see why Phin left MD and made bee line for NH. Forgot what disaster winter was in the Mid-Atl last year.  .3" in Philly..ouch.

nohrsc_seasnow.us_ne.thumb.png.9da8b16787941f5f368b88b805606cf8.png

On 9/21/2020 at 5:40 PM, PhineasC said:

It was even worse than that map indicates. Winter basically never started. Days and days of soggy 50s.

Those broader regional snowfall maps are great, but a downside of where you live now is that you’re typically going to be off scale and get stuffed into the highest gradation.  The scale on that map is even nonlinear, but it still stops at 120”, which is probably well below the amount of snow that fell at your site.  You can see how NNH is just one solid color, so it’s hard to get a sense for any distribution in those high snowfall areas.  Unless you happen to have a numeric entry right near you, maps like that aren’t as helpful as they could be.

SnowyClimate.jpg

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Those broader regional snowfall maps are great, but a downside of where you live now is that you’re typically going to be off scale and get stuffed into the highest gradation.  The scale on that map is even nonlinear, but it still stops at 120”, which is probably well below the amount of snow that fell at your site.  You can see how NNH is just one solid color, so it’s hard to get a sense for any distribution in those high snowfall areas.  Unless you happen to have a numeric entry right near you, maps like that aren’t as helpful as they could be.

That said, I do think that’s one of the better ones I’ve seen.  It highlights the “snowy climate” zones even if the numbers might be broad.  120”+ gets the message across.  Those things will never nail in the higher ranges up to 300” at the summits, but I liked that map more than others... many just stop at 100”, ha.

On the flip side there are maps like this one that always stands out to me as the exact opposite, it tried so hard to isolate the real snowy zone that it diluted the vast majority of land as all one color that fell into a 52-inch range of 73-125”.

This type of map is like the flip side of the ones that lack detail in the higher snowfall zones.  It seems very difficult to capture all of the variations in a visually appealing way and be accurate.

F9A62E4C-910E-4468-A38F-D0B7BD74BD48.png.766410a9d71243ca4062a6ef3c30258b.png

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic