Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Fall Foliage Thread

wxmanmitch

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Thanks for sharing your beautiful New England foliage pics! Here in Upstate New York, the colors have rapidly been popping this past week...especially the last couple of days. Many places are going to be bare by Mid-October.

Same in southern Michigan. Seems like it's going to be an early peak everywhere.  Haven't done any peeping yet but took a few pictures while out and about yesterday (see attached). Just a month ago I was planning a possible trip to Connecticut the 3rd week of October. Now that looks like it will be late almost everywhere.  Taking a trip to northern Michigan the 1st week of October, hope that's not too late. Despite the drought, my brother is reporting some decent color showing up in Connecticut, not all dull as feared. 

20200927_170347.thumb.jpg.6e3e7c9033f2daf6e7f67bedac7f7dc3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Same in southern Michigan. Seems like it's going to be an early peak everywhere.  Haven't done any peeping yet but took a few pictures while out and about yesterday (see attached). Just a month ago I was planning a possible trip to Connecticut the 3rd week of October. Now that looks like it will be late almost everywhere.  Taking a trip to northern Michigan the 1st week of October, hope that's not too late. Despite the drought, my brother is reporting some decent color showing up in Connecticut, not all dull as feared. 

20200927_170347.thumb.jpg.6e3e7c9033f2daf6e7f67bedac7f7dc3.jpg

Always like your pictures!

52 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Even here it’s rapidly moving. I can’t help, but think the trees are also saying the hell with this drought, and dropping too. 

Nah, they're saying..."We, too, are sick of 2020...wake us up in 2021."

• Like 1

COVID restrictions in the Northeast prevented me from visiting for this. Thank you for the shots though. It looks like fall will be early weatherwise here  as well and I am hoping the NC High Country puts on a show soon after delayed and dull foliage the previous two years. There are already signs it could go early. Some of the summits exceed 6K feet here so a wide variety of climate zones.

Driving down on Rt. 1 southbound yesterday in Saugus and past the most vibrant single tree in beautiful full peak color right next to the McDonald's and adjacent to the road. It sticks out like a sore thumb with all the other tree's around it being fully green still.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's always the first to go every year there, but seems to be much earlier this year. It really pops. I actually wouldn't be surprised if there were a few accidents over the years from people taking their eyes off the road to get a glimpse of it at 60 mph only to turn their head back to the road and see more red starring at them in the face, the brake light red from cars slowing down/stopping :yikes: haha.

14 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Driving down on Rt. 1 southbound yesterday in Saugus and past the most vibrant single tree in beautiful full peak color right next to the McDonald's and adjacent to the road. It sticks out like a sore thumb with all the other tree's around it being fully green still.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's always the first to go every year there, but seems to be much earlier this year. It really pops. I actually wouldn't be surprised if there were a few accidents over the years from people taking their eyes off the road to get a glimpse of it at 60 mph only to turn their head back to the road and see more red starring at them in the face, the brake light red from cars slowing down/stopping :yikes: haha.

There's a maple like that on Sand Hill in Augusta, a red maple street tree that is totally dependable for deep reds.  It's a late changer, probably will peak this year on the holiday weekend.  In late-change autumns I've seen it near full and beautiful on Nov. 1.  Even in the near-zero-reds 2005 season it was the one standout.  (That was the worst season in memory.  Change was late and aborted by a windy 6" over 2 days in October 2nd week, went from <50% change to >80% leaf drop in 48 hours.)

Still some bright reds in the general area (never many right near the house) though leaves are flying.  Those on the 3 apple trees are mostly green but thinning out, the usual sequence for them.  After several years with loads of fruit, and considerable blossoms on 2 of thee 3 (the usually abundant-fruiting Haralred had nary a flower) the total output was one small Empire apple.  Had a sizable bird-peck, such that in a normal season I'd have left it for the critters, but I cut out the damage and enjoyed the 5 bites.

17 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Cancel those Columbus Day weekend reservations, looks like you guys are on the back end of peak heading down quickly to stick season.

Hahaha that is for sure.  The NC High Country should see a rapid acceleration of color into this weekend when I am going up for my first look down here. I expect an early peak in our mountains as well.