• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Fall Foliage Thread

wxmanmitch

Noticing around my place that leaves just seem to be dropping.  Not great color but just falling to the ground.  Wonder if 7 hours sub-freezing last night and the same the night before has just caused them to say we are done, time to fall.  “No rain in three weeks, now nights in the 20s, pack it in boys, we’re done.  Try again next year.”

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Foliage is starting to pop around here. Seems pretty vibrant in spots to me. I never noticed drying or wilted leaves this summer though. 

I'm planning to go up to NH on October 9 to see the colors, since my sister and BIL will be visiting. I'm hoping the Whites will be near peak around that time.

12 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I'm planning to go up to NH on October 9 to see the colors, since my sister and BIL will be visiting. I'm hoping the Whites will be near peak around that time.

Great time for it, might be a little past Peak depending on how far north you go but I like that slightly past peak look when there isn’t a green tree in sight besides the spruces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some really vibrant oranges and reds in the early maples. Everything seems to be early this year and I’m sure the cold shot and dry weather help. 80s type foliage season.

You had a great call. The whole reason so many have seen frost and freezes is the drought . If the ground had moisture this would have been 5-10 degrees Warmer at night and no one would have noticed other than a normal cool down.  Stein wants everything dead . What he doesn’t kill with drought , he got with early frost 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

You had a great call. The whole reason so many have seen frost and freezes is the drought . If the ground had moisture this would have been 5-10 degrees Warmer at night . Stein wants everything dead . What he doesn’t kill with drought , he got with early frost 

fwiw my soil temp hit 54F this morning. Here's the date that 1st happened in recent autumns...

2020: 9/21
2019: 10/5
2018: 10/14
2017: 10/17

It may drop even lower tonight with another near freeze.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 7:30 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing like this around there?

B8GueAD.jpg

My brother said the color is popping in Willimantic, sent me a picture, looked pretty good although it was just one picture so I can't dismiss the idea of a less than stellar color season there.  Color exploding here in Southern Michigan, I'm thinking a vibrant peak that will be about a week earlier than average.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Foliage has been looking epic around here. 

Here too.   Really came on fast the past few days.  Very, very early.   I would even guess that peak might be this weekend for the Whites and maybe even me.  Heavy rain next week may take down a lot of leaves.

I'd say I'm just about there. The sudden explosion in colors over the past few days has been nothing short of incredible to witness. The red maples are putting on quite a show again this year. There's such a great abundance of them around these parts, especially in the 2,000-2,500' zone. 

119980755_3105219669589368_588061538886964759_o.jpg

119989921_3105221306255871_6748482441174064456_o.jpg

120034975_3105218402922828_1373351155615848998_o.jpg

120041682_3105220779589257_7385420059054250441_o.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I was over in Lake George area today and seemed like very little change, like surprisingly little change even in the higher hills..colors didn't start picking up until the drive back home when I got to the Taconics and Greens in SVT. 

They had a ton of rain this summer. That’s your difference