• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Fall Foliage Thread

wxmanmitch

I didn't see a 2020 Fall Foliage thread, so I figured I'd get one started since the leaves are beginning to turn here in the highlands of southern Vermont. The red maples are beginning to turn a bit read and the sugar maples have a hint of orange, so it's coming. I've been largely spared from the drought here, but I did have a bruce spanworm (a close relative to the invasive winter moth that's invaded coastal New England) infestation that did a number on the ash trees and did some minor damage to other species. Fortunately, I don't think the damage to the maples was significant enough to detrimentally effect the fall color and ash trees only make up a small component of the forests around here so I think the foliage should at least be decent in S VT.

119462013_3066667340111268_4804335377986211885_o.jpg

119486693_3066667453444590_4979357200742464292_o.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Gonna be a hideous fall color season in SNE with the drought. The swampy areas which usually are vibrant are mainly brown and ma y other trees dropping yellow and curled up brittle browns now 

I had planned to visit my brother in Willimantic during peak color, but I'm actually second guessing based on what I'm hearing from you guys. Was the drought widespread? I know summer precip is hit and miss. Thinking it will be a spectacular color season here in Southern Michigan and we would generally peak at the same time as interior Connecticut. There were periods of dryness/ borderline drought in the summer but overall we ended up with plenty of rain now as the trees start to turn we are seeing the sunny days, cool clear nights combo

57 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I had planned to visit my brother in Willimantic during peak color, but I'm actually second guessing based on what I'm hearing from you guys. Was the drought widespread? I know summer precip is hit and miss. Thinking it will be a spectacular color season here in Southern Michigan and we would generally peak at the same time as interior Connecticut. There were periods of dryness/ borderline drought in the summer but overall we ended up with plenty of rain now as the trees start to turn we are seeing the sunny days, cool clear nights combo

It’s widespread. It could be that some places that had more recent rains like the Mass Pike region to BOS do well with colors . But anywhere south of about the MA/ CT border is going to be early change and very dull it would appear. 
HPWT3Cz.jpg

• Sad 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:22 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s widespread. It could be that some places that had more recent rains like the Mass Pike region to BOS do well with colors . But anywhere south of about the MA/ CT border is going to be early change and very dull it would appear. 
HPWT3Cz.jpg

I appreciate the information. Definitely plan on visiting the area at some point but I will probably stick closer to home for the fall colors this year.

The whole "foliage is bad because of drought" seems ridiculous to me. We've had about 2.5" of rain in the past month. Sure, only 1/4" in the past 2 weeks, but tree roots are not 10" deep. Even my grass is still doing fine and I don't have a sprinkler system. If grass can be green, I doubt trees are suffering that much. 

551ACAC9-50D1-4710-8135-0AF3957BF503.jpeg

36 minutes ago, alex said:

The whole "foliage is bad because of drought" seems ridiculous to me. We've had about 2.5" of rain in the past month. Sure, only 1/4" in the past 2 weeks, but tree roots are not 10" deep. Even my grass is still doing fine and I don't have a sprinkler system. If grass can be green, I doubt trees are suffering that much. 

551ACAC9-50D1-4710-8135-0AF3957BF503.jpeg

Better read this then

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj_trGvrfbrAhVaknIEHRnuD5wQFjAQegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mentalfloss.com%2Farticle%2F87882%2Fdrought-disrupts-fall-foliage&usg=AOvVaw0jQ3QTQ2mQX7mB1ELud_9Y

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

1. WTF is mental loss

2. You will notice it says "parts of the Northeast". This isn't one of them. Sure, top soil is dry. But there's plenty of water around. There is still water in the wetland and vernal pools around my property. It's not the Sahara you imagine 

Just now, alex said:

1. WTF is mental loss

2. You will notice it says "parts of the Northeast". This isn't one of them. Sure, top soil is dry. But there's plenty of water around. There is still water in the wetland and vernal pools around my property. It's not the Sahara you imagine 

Maybe you guys had plentiful rain this summmer. Most areas south of you did not 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s localized to your area as you know. Look at the rest of New England 

I'm not disagreeing. But my post was started by your comment that the trees in my pictures looked "drought." I don't dispute that trees in Southern areas may be stressed. What I was saying is that I don't think they are up here, and therefore disagree that those trees looked droughty. They look like pretty typical early foliage trees. 

4 minutes ago, alex said:

I'm not disagreeing. But my post was started by your comment that the trees in my pictures looked "drought." I don't dispute that trees in Southern areas may be stressed. What I was saying is that I don't think they are up here, and therefore disagree that those trees looked droughty. They look like pretty typical early foliage trees. 

Gotcha

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Will these early freezes screw up foliage?

Yea, good question. Speaking locally, maybe just hope some of the mid slope and higher hillsides(1000-2500ft) where many of the maples are aren't radiating and staying a bit warmer?  No idea, but this is legit fall airmass, prob pretty chilly even hillsides.

14 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, good question. Speaking locally, maybe just hope some of the mid slope and higher hillsides(1000-2500ft) where many of the maples are aren't radiating and staying a bit warmer?  No idea, but this is legit fall airmass, prob pretty chilly even hillsides.

I can’t imagine multiple days of temps 20-25 this early, are good for foliage.