Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Fall Foliage

WxUSAF

7 hours ago, CAPE said:

Some decent color here now...highlighted by the early morning sun in this photo.

Not sure how colorful it will be here though, given we have had 30+ inches of rain in the last 3 months. Seems like plenty of leaves are coming down already.

trees.thumb.jpg.dd9a7ce2576ff40a87bf86e32f7b3b36.jpg

Think it'll be the same here in the city/Baltimore county?

26 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

From what I’ve read, the color in central MD should be fantastic this year. We will know by next weekend as things really get going during this dry, cool stretch.

Yeah I would think so. You don't want it too wet, but if its too dry(like last year) the trees get stressed and drop bunches of leaves early. Normal precip during the summer and then somewhat dry for early Fall is probably ideal, along with seasonable weather. Need those chilly nights.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Pic I took from up at the place I’m building near Davis. This was in Oct 10. Leaves were pretty much gone up there this past weekend.

Edit: I guess not. Need somebody to help me figure how to upload a pic this size

How big is it? Make sure you aren't at your attachments limit. If so, delete some stuff.

53 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Pic I took from up at the place I’m building near Davis. This was in Oct 10. Leaves were pretty much gone up there this past weekend.

Edit: I guess not. Need somebody to help me figure how to upload a pic this size

If my photos are too large to post and I can’t edit them easily, I email them to myself and then I’m given the choice of small, medium, etc. Medium works well for me.

I’m jealous and looking forward to seeing the pics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I’ve been a little underwhelmed with the foliage so far. Maples have been fairly lackluster it seems. My sassafras is gorgeous though.

Is the foliage ever really that great around here? Of the trees native to the region, I feel like the various maples provide the best color, but maples aren't pervasive enough in this area to put on quite that much of a show.

The huge beech trees in my neighborhood look really nice (bright yellow) for about a week, but they start to turn mottled yellow/brown pretty quickly.

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Is the foliage ever really that great around here? Of the trees native to the region, I feel like the various maples provide the best color, but maples aren't pervasive enough in this area to put on quite that much of a show.

The huge beech trees in my neighborhood look really nice (bright yellow) for about a week, but they start to turn mottled yellow/brown pretty quickly.

I mean, nothing like the mountains or New England. But I think we definitely have better or worse foliage years. Weather conditions seemed promising for one of the better ones this year, but hasn’t really delivered IMO.

Its mostly yellows and oranges around here. Some red, but not much. Most of the maples are "swamp", so just more yellow. Its always pretty much the same- some trees peak early and are bare by the time others are at peak.To me, its decent, but I have never thought the color looked spectacular here, regardless of how wet/dry/cold/warm it is.

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I'm pretty happy with the color here.  The main problem is that the timing is never right to get everything going at once.

I guess that's my primary "gripe" too. Half of the trees have reached peak/dropped much of their leaves, the woods are very thinned out, but still plenty of green. I have every type of oak, plus hickory, maple, and other random stuff. No coordination!