• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Fall Foliage

WxUSAF

I am noticing some color in maples and dogwoods in my inside-the-beltway neighborhood this week. Poplars are still deep green but they're going to start to tinge yellow in a few weeks. The changes seem a bit early this year, not that I mind!

Here's a photo of a dogwood on the NW side of my house that's mostly under a canopy of poplars.

rsz_pxl_20200922_152709912portrait-01cover.jpg

• Like 1

We finished a backpacking trip in Dolly Sods yesterday, then settled in last night in Davis/Thomas. Stopped in to Stumptown Ales in the evening for some carry out but didn’t see JonJon.  There’s a lot of nice color up this way. The first couple of photos are from the Sods.

image.jpeg.b796fff38b5979e2960cb788456dfec3.jpeg

image.jpeg.976ccbf92492e11ada62c2e559784cca.jpeg

After a good nights sleep in the motel, a couple of us got up early this morning to stretch our legs and walked out to the Blackwater Falls. The first pic is this morning, and the second one from last July. Easy to see how dry it has been up this way.

image.jpeg.a5f89de9fa3a35f8c1704119375a524a.jpeg

image.jpeg.139f97b9e1efce8e2a09e1a04627e8ed.jpeg

• Like 8

Notice something different with oaks.

We have five pin oaks on our land and two of them are exhibiting the same exact thing.

Just a splash of bright orange color like someone spilled paint on a bunch of leaves in one spot.  I've found this on two of them that I see regularly.  I will have to check out the others to see if they are doing this.  Usually they turn evenly and hold their leaves well into December.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

We finished a backpacking trip in Dolly Sods yesterday, then settled in last night in Davis/Thomas. Stopped in to Stumptown Ales in the evening for some carry out but didn’t see JonJon.  There’s a lot of nice color up this way. The first couple of photos are from the Sods.

image.jpeg.b796fff38b5979e2960cb788456dfec3.jpeg

image.jpeg.976ccbf92492e11ada62c2e559784cca.jpeg

After a good nights sleep in the motel, a couple of us got up early this morning to stretch our legs and walked out to the Blackwater Falls. The first pic is this morning, and the second one from last July. Easy to see how dry it has been up this way.

image.jpeg.a5f89de9fa3a35f8c1704119375a524a.jpeg

image.jpeg.139f97b9e1efce8e2a09e1a04627e8ed.jpeg

That's awesome, @nw baltimore wx!  I bet in a couple of weeks that area will look amazing as the color really comes out!!  You can definitely see the hints of it starting.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

That's awesome, @nw baltimore wx!  I bet in a couple of weeks that area will look amazing as the color really comes out!!  You can definitely see the hints of it starting.

Peak will be gone up there in two weeks. This upcoming weekend is likely to be the one closest to peak. Was up there last weekend and the color was already pronounced.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Peak will be gone up there in two weeks. This upcoming weekend is likely to be the one closest to peak. Was up there last weekend and the color was already pronounced.

Yeah, its pretty much peak looking colors here now.  The nice rain we are getting today should hopefully extend the colors for a while and not have them drop and fall as quickly as they may have as dry as it has been.  This coming weekend should be really good colors still.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah, I guess that would be true for up in that area.  Closer in to the DC area, it's kind of just getting a little bit of color...so couple of weeks in this area is probably what I was thinking of.  It's been pretty dry too, of late (though should get some good rain tonight), hopefully that won't inhibit things too much to where the leaves just shrivel and fall off, LOL!  The maples have started, I guess they tend to be the first ones to show.

22 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m not sure colors here are early, think they’re on a normal pace. Just think we forgot what that is after two insanely torchy falls in a row.

Agreed. This is how I remember it and it's not even that early... October starts tomorrow. The upper elevations in Shenandoah are now starting to show some color based on my hike last Saturday but the understory is still very green with all the rain we've had recently.

This was taken at about 3,000ft: 

http://imgur.com/a/6yx3gep

Spent the day in/near canaan. Should hit peak likely during the week. Lots of trees already full color, so if there's any wind this week, poof....away they go. the higher ridges just east of davis are at peak by my estimation. 

Blackwater....above the canyon is close to peak. The canyon would prob be around peak next weekend?? 

Areas south of canaan or west over towards hambleton/Kendricks along the dry fork still have a ways to go. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Spent the day in/near canaan. Should hit peak likely during the week. Lots of trees already full color, so if there's any wind this week, poof....away they go. the higher ridges just east of davis are at peak by my estimation. 

Blackwater....above the canyon is close to peak. The canyon would prob be around peak next weekend?? 

Areas south of canaan or west over towards hambleton/Kendricks along the dry fork still have a ways to go. 

Oh and temps in colder spots were at 26 approaching town this morning w some of the heaviest frost I've ever seen.

• Like 1