Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sally Banter

the ghost of leroy

4 hours ago, Calderon said:

It's an internet board that I've been part of since EasternUSWX, and I'm also 33 forecasting in an active war zone. I really don't care on here. 

I gotcha. Maybe I'm just getting old, I mean I still have maps with thumb tack holes in them from the 80's.  I tracked Hugo and Andrew on a thumbtack map, even took the map with me to Kendall trying to get my uncle to leave at the time.  Yes, I thumb tacked map storms every day listening to the updates on the radio of what y'all see on the NHC website today. The analogy of I walked to school through feet of snow applies lol.

The only thing that bothers me is when bandwagon riders jump a thread with statements like "is that an eye?  "Looks like its weakening" or "it's gonna blow up".

Back yourself up.  Jumping on a storm thread and being to lazy to go back 6 10 pages to either learn or see what was discussed is just that, lazy.  You disrespect the others that have been a little more diligent than you.  That discussion probably has already been had, learn from it, then throw your opinion.  Scientific method for the masses if you will.

Do it like me. If I fall asleep, when I wake up and have time for the board I will scorch a candle and spend 30 minutes reading what I missed.  Most of us aren't experts which is why we have these boards.  The fun and challenge is in the learning at least to me.  

Ive learned more in life by it being pointed out I'm a dumbass at times than getting a cookie the few times I'm right

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jackstraw said:

Maybe I'm just getting old, I mean I still have maps with thumb tack holes in them from the 80's.  I tracked Hugo and Andrew on a thumbtack map, even took the map with me to Kendall trying to get my uncle to leave at the time.  Yes, I thumb tacked map storms every day listening to the updates on the radio what y'all see on the NHC website today 

I still have my NOAA weather radio with extendable antenna. One of my favorite parts of the summer was waiting for the new tropical updates, while going through the entire area forecasts and marine forecasts, to get coordinates to track storms. Didn’t have tacks but did have a dry erase map of the Atlantic basin and paper maps I drew on. Would love to find my maps from the 1996 season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I gotcha. Maybe I'm just getting old, I mean I still have maps with thumb tack holes in them from the 80's.  I tracked Hugo and Andrew on a thumbtack map, even took the map with me to Kendall trying to get my uncle to leave at the time.  Yes, I thumb tacked map storms every day listening to the updates on the radio of what y'all see on the NHC website today. The analogy of I walked to school through feet of snow applies lol.

The only thing that bothers me is when bandwagon riders jump a thread with statements like "is that an eye?  "Looks like its weakening" or "it's gonna blow up".

Back yourself up.  Jumping on a storm thread and being to lazy to go back 6 10 pages to either learn or see what was discussed is just that, lazy.  You disrespect the others that have been a little more diligent than you.  That discussion probably has already been had, learn from it, then throw your opinion.  Scientific method for the masses if you will.

Do it like me. If I fall asleep, when I wake up and have time for the board I will scorch a candle and spend 30 minutes reading what I missed.  Most of us aren't experts which is why we have these boards.  The fun and challenge is in the learning at least to me.  

Ive learned more in life by it being pointed out I'm a dumbass at times than getting a cookie the few times I'm right

Exactly. i love seeing new people on here and different points of view from either red or orange tags, but also those that aren't tagged but have sounds reasoning, general good observations/discussion, or ask relevant questions. "That's an eye", "is that an eye", "oh it's drying out/strengthening/losing strength" is old really quick. I mean, at least back it up with something or look back a few pages to see if the answer is already there.

I don't have the time to dedicate to heavily looking into or researching an ongoing event given my job in a certain part of the war world, but the above crap gets so old. Hell, I'm trying to figure out why folks like Idub are even able to post. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I still have my NOAA weather radio with extendable antenna. One of my favorite parts of the summer was waiting for the new tropical updates, while going through the entire area forecasts and marine forecasts, to get coordinates to track storms. Didn’t have tacks but did have a dry erase map of the Atlantic basin and paper maps I drew on. Would love to find my maps from the 1996 season

I bought a Weather Channel dry erase hurricane tracking map in early August 2001. I remember I was tracking "Tropical Storm Chantal", which was expected to be a strong hurricane and never even became a hurricane, and my sister (who was two years younger than me) had her friend over and they were playing games or something and she laughed so hard she peed her pants and it turns out she was sitting on my dry erase map. Peed right on Tropical Storm Chantal. I remember I was pissed. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Sounds like you need a beer.

Been trying to coax some of that 15-20 inch rains to East central Ga.  My grass burned this summer and we are still underperforming with our rain amounts    A good 3-6” rain would be good here in Metter.  But no matter how far the track has shifted our rain total projection has not changed much. Most of the rain is going to our N East

20 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

This is Banter, so I'll respond.

I do look back about 24 hours or so. But this is a "party" for all kinds of storm fans with over 15,000 members and a wide range of knowledge and ignorance. As any party, the old timers and more experienced get annoyed with the new fish. It's fun to jump in and share an opinion, and as you said, you have learned a lot being educated. I've learned a lot here. I paid for a membership to help support this. Costs add up, and money helps keep it going.

I am sure I have been blocked by elders already, but this is educational, informative, entertainment and a thrill to be a part of. Hopefully the forum is not too serious when it is not critical for saving lives.

Please don't take our silly questions or wild guesses as disrespectful. At least speaking for myself, I have the utmost respect for you all.

BTW, where is Sally's eye? ;)

Here I do "Feel like a Stranger..."

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

This is Banter, so I'll respond.

I do look back about 24 hours or so. But this is a "party" for all kinds of storm fans with over 15,000 members and a wide range of knowledge and ignorance. As any party, the old timers and more experienced get annoyed with the new fish. It's fun to jump in and share an opinion, and as you said, you have learned a lot being educated. I've learned a lot here. I paid for a membership to help support this. Costs add up, and money helps keep it going.

I am sure I have been blocked by elders already, but this is educational, informative, entertainment and a thrill to be a part of. Hopefully the forum is not too serious when it is not critical for saving lives.

Please don't take our silly questions or wild guesses as disrespectful. At least speaking for myself, I have the utmost respect for you all.

BTW, where is Sally's eye? ;)

Here I do "Feel like a Stranger..."

Paying for amwx. What a simp. 

• Haha 1