Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sally Banter

the ghost of leroy

4 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Not too often when you get a “category 4 inland hurricane”!

Having spent a chunk of my life in the Colorado ski areas, I woke up this morning thinking about what if hurricanes dumped snow instead of rain. Models throwing out 30 inches of rain with Sally would be well over 100 inches of snow in the mountains...

"Fresh powder!!!!"

6 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Having spent a chunk of my life in the Colorado ski areas, I woke up this morning thinking about what if hurricanes dumped snow instead of rain. Models throwing out 30 inches of rain with Sally would be well over 100 inches of snow in the mountains...

"Fresh powder!!!!"

All you need to do to know what that is like is spend a winter in Iceland/Svalbard or the Bering coastline in AK.

14 hours ago, Prospero said:

"Fresh powder!!!!"

As someone from Michigan this made me chuckle. The I remembered the "Huroncane" was a thing and decided it's best not give 2020 any ideas.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hoosier said:

No, because ACE isn't at 1 million and we haven't had a long tracker from Mars to the US coast.

Based on conversation elsewhere, I think folks would still be dissappointed if that hypothetical long-tracker didn't manage to hit Miami, New Orleans, and NYC at high-end Cat 5 strength

19 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don't get why there has to be a morality debate every single thread there's a threat. 

In my opinion the debate is dumb.  This isn't a subject in which morality plays a factor. No matter how much a person wants a storm to develop or not develop, it is not going to make a lick of difference in reality.  It's not as if rooting for a hurricane to get stronger actually makes it get stronger.  A storm is going to do exactly what variables involved processed through the laws of nature and the universe output.  For those of us who like weather at it's extremes, getting excited when it does occur does not make us bad people.  We have zero actual control over things and all of us still feel bad for anyone effected, therefore there is no moral compromise.  The Earth can and will continue to produce big weather events that effect people and being in interested and in awe of this power does not make anyone a bad person.

The fact that this debate occurs on Weather forums of all places is crazy to me.  These places exist for the sole purpose of discussing the weather and I would think most people understand my point above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldub23 said:

I  personally  think with it  so disorganized rainfall totals  can be  cut  in half. Also see the Euro has a  massive ridge with Sally likely getting  left behind  off the  SE  coast. Good  possibility  it  gets a 2nd  chance. With that ridge it wouldnt  take  much for  TD20 to start  heading west.

slp8.png

ActiveCoarseHyrax-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bugalou said:

It's not as if rooting for a hurricane to get stronger actually makes it get stronger.  A storm is going to do exactly what variables involved processed through the laws of nature and the universe output.  For those of us who like weather at it's extremes, getting excited when it does occur does not make us bad people.  We have zero actual control over things and all of us still feel bad for anyone effected, therefore there is no moral compromise. 

We are not bad people for being excited about extreme storms. I would suggest, being "Prospero", that every thought we have might have a ripple effect on planes of reality that science has yet to explore. So being an observer is innocent, no matter how thrilled we may become, but putting serious conscious intention to make a storm more dangerous is playing with fire.

Just sayin'...

;)

I can see how people find it upsetting that we're essentially rooting for the strongest possible storm to make landfall in the most heavily populated area.

That debate would do better in it's own thread or FAQ or whatever so we don't have to repeat it every time, it never really changes, we've seen all the arguments already.

22 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

I can see how people find it upsetting that we're essentially rooting for the strongest possible storm to make landfall in the most heavily populated area.

That debate would do better in it's own thread or FAQ or whatever so we don't have to repeat it every time, it never really changes, we've seen all the arguments already.

I'm not at all. We don't need the media making Sally into another Katrina (even if Sally pales in comparison). I don't trust them or their agenda. I'd rather Sally stay weak or strike a less populated area. 

6 hours ago, Leo said:

As someone from Michigan this made me chuckle. The I remembered the "Huroncane" was a thing and decided it's best not give 2020 any ideas.

One of the top ten weather disasters I've experienced was an ice storm in Newaygo, MI around 1976 or 1977.

No wind, but three inches of ice on trees and power lines took power out for a few weeks in our area and stripped trees bare. What a mess. It looked like a hurricane came through.

43 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

I doubt anything could be as bad as the response to Katrina. But yeah, if Sally floods Dauphin Island, the media won't treat it the same as New Orleans. The media sucks big fat hairy nuts.

And why do you think a New Orleans hit would be a bigger story than a Dauphin Island hit?  It couldn't have anything to do with number of people affected could it? But the media...

5 hours ago, Normandy said:

And why do you think a New Orleans hit would be a bigger story than a Dauphin Island hit?  It couldn't have anything to do with number of people affected could it? But the media...

Had Laura struck New Orleans or Houston...the media would've been camped out there. Cameron Parish? Crickets.