• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Sally Banter

the ghost of leroy

Repeating my post from the other thread from yesterday afternoon which I received six hot dogs for:

Something seems off about the forecast. Motion looks almost south right now and is still getting better organized. If it makes the move west at this southern position it would go right through the Florida Straits. Then with conditions looking good in the Gulf, I see no reason why this doesn't bomb out similar to Laura. I'm calling for another cat 4+.

25 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Repeating my post from the other thread from yesterday afternoon which I received six hot dogs for:

Something seems off about the forecast. Motion looks almost south right now and is still getting better organized. If it makes the move west at this southern position it would go right through the Florida Straits. Then with conditions looking good in the Gulf, I see no reason why this doesn't bomb out similar to Laura. I'm calling for another cat 4+.

Actually now that I see it's supposed to be a slow mover, I'm upping my prediction to a solid cat 5. This will have the time that Hanna and Laura didn't. Calling for hurricane at 11am tomorrow and a major by Monday morning. 

6 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

If by next Tuesday we've had two major hurricanes landfall in Louisiana within 3 weeks of each other will people stop with the "season cancelled" nonsense?

There was a Major landfall in LA this season?

Oh yea, seems like a distant memory. There were some power outages, a surge, some wind. Yea, was it...Laura?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

If by next Tuesday we've had two major hurricanes landfall in Louisiana within 3 weeks of each other will people stop with the "season cancelled" nonsense?

Only if it is at least 2/3rds of a Katrina for NO and the missisppi gulf coast...I’m not going to give a shit if bayou billy records 150mph gusts and nobody can measure the surge. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Don't you remember the "unsurvivable storm surge"? 

Oh yea! Now I remember! (So soon we forget...especially when lost in the news.)

Another one of those storms where the eye got all screwy at the last minute and I wondered if Texas cloud seeder planes were messing with Mother Nature. And like Harvey and Katrina, it might have backfired...

Granted the 30 ft surge did not happen, but photos of muddy water lines on second floors of homes is nothing to sneeze at.

24 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

No, because ACE isn't at 1 million and we haven't had a long tracker from Mars to the US coast.

• Haha 3

This season feels like a dollar-store version of 2005.

Instead of Cindy in Louisiana and then major Dennis and Emily, we got Cristobal in Louisiana, and then weaker Hurricanes Hanna and Isaias.

Then instead of Katrina we got Laura.

Now we have a system near Florida and the Gulf that developed in a similar area that Rita did in September. Also headed for Louisiana.

Feels like a generic 2005.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

Whenever I think of "Sally" I keep picturing Sally Field.

She must be a bigger part of my psyche than I thought.

She was cute in Smokey & The Bandit! :)

Anyone notice that water tower looked perfectly fine in Cameron?  Imagine what the winds were like up there?

I knew a person and I'm  rather strange but he was 145% compared to me!  Anyhow, he lived in a water tower converted to a home.  I know without the ballast of having all that water it's probably not as structurally sound but say it could handle CAT5 winds.  Debris isn't an issue, as the outer shell is 5/8" mild steel which would laugh at a 9mm bullet.  But the creaking and roar would probably be quite unnerving.  I dunno, I'm really calm in precarious situations and only felt like I was going to bite the big one a few times in my life.  That may be one.  But living to tell about it.  And as long as the suction on the toilet isn't too strong during the strongest eyewall encounter, it may even be fun! ;)

A dear friend, Blues Hall of Fame member Sterling Magee (Mr. Satan) passed way this past Thursday here in Gulfport Florida shortly after "recovering" from COVID.

Mustang Sally was a song he played that we locals always enjoyed around here.

I think a few of us who knew him will dedicate this storm to him. Hope it is memorable, but not life threatening. Mr. Satan was an Angel.

We loved Sterling very much.

Feeling the wind from Sally as we speak. Might need to take down the wind chimes as they are getting crazy...

• Like 1