• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    elYeti
    Newest Member
    elYeti

Hurricane Sally

12 hours ago, Floydbuster said:

What a storm. Like I've said before, I see 2020 as a less-insane version of 2005.

Cristobal = Cindy

Hanna/Isaias = Dennis/Emily

Laura = Katrina

Sally = Rita

not identical, obviously. But you can see the similarities. Now the question is, do we get Hurricane Stan, Hurricane Wilma and Hurricane Beta of 2005 in October and November?

We'll pass on Wilma in Florida, thank you. ;)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

This is some pretty serious structural wind damage in Ft Morgan, AL from Sally. This looks like cat 3 damage, though I do not know how well built these structures were, and plenty of trees still standing next to them. Anyway, this is impressive damage

https://youtu.be/RHk8IJLdBWE

I'd accept that being Category 2 damage but due to a longer duration wind event. Sally's eyewall was crawling. Some of these locations had 70-100 kt gusts for many hours. There looks to be buildings that held up fairly well. Some obviously succumbed to the prolonged event though. At any rate, there will  be surveys and post-analysis. It will be close.

• Like 2

Made it out to Navarre Beach this morning. The clean up is in full force. Not as bad as Opal or Ivan from what I could see but, still a mess!!! 48e6dd4965c9bc39c859327434157fd1.jpg&key=c2129172686d5f10bc21460a2670f51d6b004ef1593a5de080ee70630b00da52

a11d3fa70f23b485ab4338ff50406800.jpg&key=a3e39396ee91ffdb09c8dc9333a6acb00dbd05eddf11596c780ed8bc9496d053

4e2628011a16db2689f71440a0984d51.jpg&key=6a641d93484086566696a7ed99e8ddb6e64639cfb3b86c8d666fbc480ec05259

882ccc75394b42d405d1183bc1a54227.jpg&key=2db14d8aeddc5c549fccd5bb91aab1aca46d9708efe0bcb759c25e89678c1680

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally found time to edit the footage I captured from the most intense portion of hurricane Sally’s NE eyewall, in Orange Beach, AL on 9/16/2020.  

Based on the extreme winds I observed right on the beachfront, it’s certainly probable that Sally may very well have attained a 100 kt Cat 3 intensity, as it was coming ashore.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Finally found time to edit the footage I captured from the most intense portion of hurricane Sally’s NE eyewall, in Orange Beach, AL on 9/16/2020.  

Based on the extreme winds I observed right on the beachfront, it’s certainly probable that Sally may very well have attained a 100 kt Cat 3 intensity, as it was coming ashore.   

Shrieking winds and palms beat to desth

Almost becomes too much but an education to see maybe 115mph winds

• Like 1

Always amazes me that people will line up at gas stations the day after a hurricane when power is out. Why didn't they get gas a day or 2 before?

• Like 2

Yeah. Several of my friends down there have trees on there homes. Ones mom lost 15 tall pine trees. Is this due to Sally being stronger than her recorded intensity? Or is all of the flooding rains just making trees that might've otherwise stayed up fall?

On 9/21/2020 at 11:53 AM, yotaman said:

Always amazes me that people will line up at gas stations the day after a hurricane when power is out. Why didn't they get gas a day or 2 before?

Here in Florida we line up a couple days before a hurricane for gas. But then a day after the storm with no power, we use all our gas trying to find ice which has disappeared for the next two or three weeks. And some of us use what gas is left sitting in our cars with our devices plugged in recharging and enjoying the A/C trying to keep cool when the power is out.

Experience around here is that gas comes back first, ice is nowhere to be found for a long time. Some of us need ice more (like my diabetic wife who has insulin to keep cool).

I did keep working doing my job with a laptop running off of my car running and ATT cellular after Irma when everybody else was shut down. Mostly handling vacation guests who were planning to arrive and hoping to spend a week on Clearwater Beach when the power was off for a couple weeks and we had to communicate giving refunds and rescheduling when possible. And with NO ice to boot!

On 9/20/2020 at 9:06 PM, ncforecaster89 said:

Good footage but I hate those aggravating alarms in the background. Never had that in hurricane videos growing up in the 90s.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

Good footage but I hate those aggravating alarms in the background. Never had that in hurricane videos growing up in the 90s.

Just think about how annoying videos are going to be in the 2050’s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Floydbuster said:

Thanks!  I feel the same about the alarms, but that seems to be a more prevalent issue in these beach communities.  To be completely forthright, I never know where I’m going to end up documenting the inner-core...given my desire to get into the eastern-most edge of the eye in hopes of getting stronger winds and some surge video...as opposed to being in the absolute center of the eye (which I’ll drive into if surge isn’t an issue).  

As a result, it could be in a parking garage, filming outside against a sturdy building, or from within my car shooting through the drivers side window (which is the predominate way most of us chased in the 80’s and 90’s).  At night, I’m even more likely to try to find a parking garage...out of concern with storm surge and decreased visibility.