• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    feyt
    Newest Member
    feyt

Hurricane Sally

Wind damage is going to be worse that normal for the landfall speed. Combination of intensifying storm and slow movement.

Getting reports of both wind and surge damage in in coastal Alabama, including Gulf Shores and Orange Beach

Pensacola getting whacked. Combination of east eyewall, surge and freshwater flooding.

• Like 1

Downtown Pensacola is now in the eye. Sally does appear to have begun weakening. The eye is filling on satellite. Still an impressive hurricane. Due to the incredibly long duration of time over the same areas, the damage might look worse than a Category 2. Hopefully since much of this area has been hit numerous times over the past 20 years, building structures will be up to code and they are weathering the wind event well. Unfortunately areas susceptible to surge and inland flooding might still have significant damage regardless.85ebdfd341fd0d5d383e9ec72c83308b.jpg&key=d0d992993038783f5d079c21709fbeeae1e1bfec32e82936e8ef10bf19d4cc225f3c51774857ac0ed4cfb5323a8ecb96.gif&key=df919dc81d963212239e322bf5f9ffde129d587451d1d43918a934cc2f905f54

• Like 1

Yeah honestly many buildings nowadays easily withstand Cat 2 winds and even to some extent 3 winds with minor structural damage. It really takes a strong 3 or higher to cause true siggy structural damage on newer codes. This one will have surge and freshwater flooding as the biggest hazard. I think that always has been the case. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MSUgulfcoaster said:

Coastal towns from Dauphin Island to Pensacola have already received close to a foot of rain, that will double over the next 12 hours, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that tripled in some isolated areas that catch a nasty rain band camped over their location. 

B66DB326-FCDF-4139-BF16-01FCF84ADAC9.jpeg

The NHC does now say isolated pockets of up to 35" of rain. Let's just add an inch to make that an even 3'.

7 hours ago, Hotair said:

Imagine experiencing hurricane intensity winds Continuously  for 10+ hours ?  There is a potential of that around Gulf Shores today. 

Hurricane Danny produced 75 mph winds along the AL for approximately 24 hours. Needless to say this resulted in damage much worse than a typical basement-level hurricane. But, 75 v 105 is a substantial difference. 

11 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Sure does. And the 9:30 update has not been displayed yet.

image.png.3bad685d8740a63ea9964eee0cd0d4b6.png

The insane rain totals must really hurt too since that’s combining with the surge. Nowhere for any water to go. 

I just woke up and I'm seeing a number on people calling for water rescues along the Florida panhandle. I can't really say they are to blame for not evacuating though because the focus was waaayyyyyy westward just a couples days ago. Given how slow sally is, by the time the actual hurricane warnings were up I'm sure it was too late for most people. 

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Thousands? Is that for real? I hope not.

Considering many people living there had to think the storm would not be nearly as bad there as ground truth, it's to be expected.  I pray that the perfectly reasonable forecast of little change in strength when Sally was a generous 85 mph cane yesterday afternoon didn't cause less cautious people to be trapped in a bad spot. 

At least the rain is almost done in Pennsicola.   Got a long way to go in Panama City.

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

Sure does. And the 9:30 update has not been displayed yet.

image.png.3bad685d8740a63ea9964eee0cd0d4b6.png

Why is this gage site showing a maximum of 21.73 on 4/30/2004 in the table for peak on the flood tracking chart builder on that link?

I wonder if these painfully slow moving storms increasing in frequency is the beginning of a long term climate trend or just an unfortunate coincidence. Harvey, Florence, and Sally all produced over 30 inches of rain 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Besides the family rescued from a tree...

Yeah. I saw that in the article. Better one than one hundred..

Don't forget Imelda in that list of slow moving storms. That was a huge rain maker too. 

• Like 1