• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Areri
    Newest Member
    Areri

Hurricane Sally

1 hour ago, dan11295 said:

I think people in Gulf Shores to Pensacola are getting a bit more than they were expecting. Instead of a borderline cat 1 you have a slow moving borderline cat 3. Plus the excessive rainfall to boot.

Yes, with all of the early focus on NOLA and the MS coast initially and then with all the category one talk I certainly hope people there realized what could happen.

Landfall. 965 mb 105 mph. Continues the trend of hurricanes intensifying into landfall this season. I’m very surprised this system was able to get its act together like this. HWRF for the win, again 

• Like 3

Given some of the observations, radar velocities, recon wind data, and the fact it continued to intensify into landfall, this storm will be a candidate for reanalysis at the end of the season to determine if it was a major. It certainly was on the cusp. I did not expect that 

6 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Just a crazy long-duration landfall. Pensacola hasn't even got the worst yet. Hopefully Sally begins weakening soon with nearly half the northern semicircle inland.

Yeah, it almost looks like its stalled again over the last hour.  It's taken nearly 5 days for this storm to traverse the tip of S FL to the AL/FL gulf coast. That's usually a 3 day trip.  5 days is usually a trip to TX lol.  I will say this has been one of the more interesting storms at least to me, to track in a long while.

Friend in Pensacola just called back and said it's getting even more crazy there.  Said his house is literally shaking and it sounds like bombs going off outside.  He's reading 977 on his handheld.  He once again said the gusts are coming down, not laterally, like a hammer. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Pensacola gauge now the 4th highest recorded water level there with at least 6 more hours of onshore and high tide moving in.....

cola2.JPG

Im not sure that updated in real time.  Currently the water level is 6.19' and has been steadily increasing **EDIT**

8 minutes ago, Mowfishin said:

Im not sure that updated in real time.  Currently the water level is 6.19' and has increased 1' in the last 10 minutes

Thanks!  Getting close to knocking on Ivan's door then

Have family in Fairhope AL (eastern shore of Mobile Bay about 20 minutes north of Gulf Shores). We've been through a lot of hurricanes, including Frederic and Ivan. Sister says this seems as bad as Frederic. Major flooding, roofs off of houses, numerous trees down, and it's only halfway through. Going to be some massive damage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Orangeburgwx said:

What was the "official"* landfall winds?

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

105 mph I believe.

1 minute ago, Mowfishin said:

at 19.2 now.  1 Foot in an hour

What is the link to the page that graphic is on?

Yikes-that landfall and slow speed has to be the worst case for surge coming into Pensacola Bay. Mobile was spared but not a sparsely populated spot for surge to come ashore like for Laura-alternative also has lots of people.