• Member Statistics

    16,052
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    David herry
    Newest Member
    David herry
    Joined
WxWatcher007

Hurricane Sally

Recommended Posts

Lol Sally keeps on trolling. Rapidly intensified randomly with a pretty high pressure given 100mph winds. Then the winds dropped but pressure remained steady. Now the pressure is dropping but most of that resulted in a larger wind field instead of a storm with much higher windspeeds. 972mb is pretty low for only 85mph. What an odd hurricane 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to get multiple embedded circulations from Okaloosa to Gulf Counties, with 2 currently about to com ashore near Destin & St. Andrews State Park (eastern tip of PCB).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

973 mb with 9 kt wind

Sally is doing pretty well for a slow-moving system over shelf waters.

Just as the hurricane models predicted. Really interesting to see another hurricane intensify on final approach. Even happened with Paulette and Nana. All the “action” this season has been close to a coastline. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Just as the hurricane models predicted. Really interesting to see another hurricane intensify on final approach. Even happened with Paulette and Nana. All the “action” this season has been close to a coastline. 

I think if we were giving out grades HWRF would get a B or an A- I would think so far this season. It seems to have had a good handle on things once TC genesis has occurred and there is a developed system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW (admittedly, not a whole lot, but not nothing either) the HRRR keeps trending toward a sharper right turn at landfall, bringing Sally across extreme NW Florida and then moving almost due east, paralleling the Florida/Alabama line toward Dothan. Other models have trended more east, but not as pronounced as this -- would shift the inland rain threat to the east if accurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Look at the radar, eyewall really closing up on the south side... It might go BOOM

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
 

It's definitely looking better on IR and radar. Sally still trying to amp up before it landfalls around Halloween 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the 0z NAM (again, I know ....) also slides a little east -- now showing landfall JUST west of the Fla/Ala. line near Orange Beach/Perdido. Also shows a slight delay on landfall and some strengthening that wasn't there on 12z run (gets it down to 976 mb). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Look at the radar, eyewall really closing up on the south side... It might go BOOM

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
 

It's done that many times today already.  Every hour a new dryslot appears on the south side, then fills in. Almost like there's a schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to be an interesting pass by recon, this is the best that northern eyewall has looked all day on radar, even if the southern eye wall refuses to close off. Velocities of 100-110 mph becoming more consolidated just a few thousand feet up on the KMOB radar. Let's see if some of the higher wind speeds are able to mix down over the next few hours 

Land friction will also likely help Sally consolidate her structure closer to landfall 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alfoman said:

Going to be an interesting pass by recon, this is the best that northern eyewall has looked all day on radar, even if the southern eye wall refuses to close off. Velocities of 100-110 mph becoming more consolidated just a few thousand feet up on the KMOB radar. Let's see if some of the higher wind speeds are able to mix down over the next few hours 

Land friction will also likely help Sally consolidate her structure closer to landfall 

Eye looks closed on radar 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MUWX said:

Eye looks closed on radar 

I won't believe its closed off until the dry slot can stay away for longer than an hour at a time 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Sally is really trying to get right before landfall. Impressive satellite and radar presentation. Velocities continue to go up. 

Satellite is almost perfect. Showing no real signs of being under shear, just some small dry air intrusions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Lol Sally keeps on trolling. Rapidly intensified randomly with a pretty high pressure given 100mph winds. Then the winds dropped but pressure remained steady. Now the pressure is dropping but most of that resulted in a larger wind field instead of a storm with much higher windspeeds. 972mb is pretty low for only 85mph. What an odd hurricane 

exactly. I’ve come to appreciate this storm for sure. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

How much time does it have left before landfall? like 3-4 hours?

It's at least triple that, at minimum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CheeselandSkies said:

At least Sally is going to pass close enough to a radar site (KMOB) for the eyewall to be resolved in great detail, yet (probably) without dealing it a knockout blow like LCH.

Don't forget Eglin AFB (EVX) that was the Michael tracker since TLH couldn't even make it through TS-force gusts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Calderon said:

It's at least triple that, at minimum.

Approximately 42 miles from landfall between Gulf Shores and Dauhpin island with the current NNE 2mph heading... uhh yeah...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Still 972 mb.

Okay I get super confused on extrapolated pressure. Is that what their estimating at the sfc based on the dropsonde? I saw someone said 969.7 extrap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.