• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    David herry
    Newest Member
    David herry

Hurricane Sally

Seems mesovotices just went up everywhere in the past 15 minutes.

qfPKHzR.gif

• Like 2

My eyes are playing tricks probably but it sure looks to be drifting with a bit of S component
Probably an illusion with the stronger DBZ banding rotating around to the SW. This may once again be a temporary organizational trend that reverses to weakening, but it's at least making things interesting with less than 9-10 hrs from landfall. Really curious just what Sally can muster out of a significantly mixed surface layer.

12 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

My eyes are playing tricks probably but it sure looks to be drifting with a bit of S component

Every time it gets a bloom of convection on the north the eye wobbles south, it loses the southern eye wall, then tries again .  It's not movement as much as oscillation of an imbalanced system to my eye...  poor choice of words.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, weatherlover said:

Anyone heard any reports of how conditions are right along the coastline?   Winds, rain, coastal flooding etc?

I live in central Mobile AL. We had  light winds that started at about 2am and then a sudden insane DOWNPOUR like out of nowhere at about 330 am? I think? Today it's just been gross... drizzly Light to medium nonstop rain... I drove my dad down to check our sailboat that we keep at Turner marine at  Mobile Yacht Club .. All piers underwater this morn. Have not heard or seen The first bit of thunder or lightning so far.  All day, winds have very very sneakily grown stronger all day ...... And They're just NOWstarting to now picking  up to the point that  very small loose things are blowing around our front porch. We have a house in Bon Secour on the river as well. We're going to head over as soon as we can to check on it . And WHOA just now.. As I'm writing this five or six big big gusts... Making some of our very very older trees here on the property feel very flexible all of the sudden. Got to go... Stuff starting to fly all of the sudden

• Like 6

Sally reminds me a bit of Hurricane Danny in 1997 which stalled just E of Mobile Bay as a 75 mph cat 1 and jumped 20-30" in that immediate area. Difference there is that Danny came from the SW and had minimal surge issues. Also most of the rain fell on the backside on the immediate coast where the tide was pushed out so it could drain easier.

• Like 2

And boom.... Finally heard some thunder. my parents keep laughing and describing the way the rain is starting to come in as...."b movie special effects rain"........ My folks are 60 year porch hurricanes watchers so they make up names for everything that happens in hurricanes ... But I've never heard them used this new phrase ..so I watched myself for a while and.... lol Wow.. Agreed... it is ...very strange looking...I'm not going to lie... And honestly not quite sure how to describe yet

• Like 2

She is just crawling, there should be some prodigious rainfall amounts from those bands. That’s the stuff that doesn’t make headlines but sure can create misery. 

Recon finding a more formidable storm. Pressure dropped a few mb and plenty of unflagged 65+ knot SFMRs. 

Another 24 hours of Sally. Can hardly wait to wake up at 4:00 am for another day...

Light rain and no sun for a few days here in the Tampa Bay area. Wind picked up for a while this afternoon, but feels like a long wet Spring event here now.

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Curious why the winds aren't responding to pretty decent pressure drops

They very likely are, the recon is missing quite a few data sets in the NE eyewall so we can't see them. VDM has 85 Knot FL winds, by the highest it's been today. 

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Curious why the winds aren't responding to pretty decent pressure drops

They are. Remember earlier recon barely supported hurricane strength.

10 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I sure would think we would see a bump up in winds coming at next advisory. Regardless Sally is looking good on IR and an eye really trying to pop even more now

Gotta wonder if storms strengthening at the last minute is the theme of this season...

• Like 1

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Gotta wonder if storms strengthening at the last minute is the theme of this season...

Gotta wonder if this is the last one or if October has more in store.

2 hours ago, dan11295 said:

Sally reminds me a bit of Hurricane Danny in 1997 which stalled just E of Mobile Bay as a 75 mph cat 1 and jumped 20-30" in that immediate area. Difference there is that Danny came from the SW and had minimal surge issues. Also most of the rain fell on the backside on the immediate coast where the tide was pushed out so it could drain easier.

Dauphin Island recorded over 43" during Danny. Also, the pressure is now 13 MB lower than it was last night when the winds were 20 mph higher. Weird. Now the pressure is quite low for an 80 mph storm, opposite of last night.