Total Members
    Most Online
    Jerry Korkos
    Newest Member
    Jerry Korkos

Hurricane Teddy

44 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Thought this was the thread for Teddy...lol

Looks like a sheared storm in the middle of nowhere. When was this supposed to blossom into a high end cat 4 again?

21 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

Looks like a sheared storm in the middle of nowhere. When was this supposed to blossom into a high end cat 4 again?

Man, I don't even claim to be an expert of tropical and know that this season, this kind of post might not age well...lol

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

Not sure what happened.  It's definitely the biggest convective blob of the season.   IDK why it can't form an eye.  No obvious shear or dry air.

We'll have to postpone the high end 4 until tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

Not sure what happened.  It's definitely the biggest convective blob of the season.   IDK why it can't form an eye.  No obvious shear or dry air.

We'll have to postpone the high end 4 until tomorrow.

FWIW, the symmetry of the CDO and intense convection has improved drastically from earlier this evening..

1 minute ago, jojo762 said:

FWIW, the symmetry of the CDO and intense convection has improved drastically from earlier this evening..

There's clearly another convective blast incoming and the last one still hasn't died.    IR is going to run out of colors.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

The blob is symmetrical and nicer looking than earlier but the center or circulation is off near the eastern edge of it. Hopefully shear continues to abate. 

39 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

When it's near a land mass.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, jojo762 said:

Teddy's not pleased about the downgrade. Watch it become a major by morning.

5 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

Ok, but an out-to-sea in the North Atlantic solution "makes sense" as well. Making sense doesn't mean it's right.

I will say that given the relatively tight spread (given the circumstances here) of the EPS members I'm certainly not going to blow off the possibility of a Sandy-style left hook. In fact, given that a few members of the CMC and UKMET ensembles also show the tug back westward I'd actually give this possibility some well earned weight. We'll see happens.

3 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

Ok, but an out-to-sea in the North Atlantic solution "makes sense" as well. Making sense doesn't mean it's right.

I will say that given the relatively tight spread (given the circumstances here) of the EPS members I'm certainly not going to blow off the possibility of a Sandy-style left hook. In fact, given that a few members of the CMC and UKMET ensembles also show the tug back westward I'd actually give this possibility some well earned weight. We'll see happens.

I remember the computer models had Sandy hitting Boston and Maine before they found a solution in Maryland/NJ.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TriPol said:

I remember the computer models had Sandy hitting Boston and Maine before they found a solution in Maryland/NJ.

It helped that Sandy was in the Caribbean to begin with rather than in the central Atlantic. 

If the Euro solution does develop then it'll probably impact Canada a la Juan. The chance of it getting even as far west as Maine are very low (5-10%).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OhioWX said:

Huge improvement from a few hours ago.

2020al20_amsusr89_202009162140.gif

2020al20_amsusr89_202009170041.gif

Giant blob is yielding to a little hook with a pinhole dot.  The blob is putting up a fight but clearly it's getting bent. This is a fun battle to watch on IR. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amped said:

Giant blob is yielding to a little hook with a pinhole dot.  The blob is putting up a fight but clearly it's getting bent. This is a fun battle to watch on IR. 

Love it when you get all technical

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

Just now, the ghost of leroy said:

Love it when you get all technical

Never seen this kind of eye formation evolution..  Looks like the blobs hot tower was just ripped from it's surface cell. Time for the hook to get it's ground game on.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, Amped said:

Never seen this kind of eye formation evolution..  Looks like the blobs hot tower was just ripped from it's surface cell. Time for the hook to get it's ground game on.

I’ve seen wpac typhoons get their shit together like this 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

Oh my

Raw T numbers of 7.2

2756ae6c-e588-4a2a-908a-b01ab04280f8.jpeg

Exactly what I was hoping to see. Consistency is overrated.

ygXQwPa.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I notice NHC shows it losing longitude at the 120HR point as it approaches 40N. Do they have a reason for discounting the model solutions showing it getting captured and yanked west other than "I don't even wanna go there"?

Man some of the posts in here just from the last 12 hours are already aging like milk :lol:. Some people have been way too quick to write systems off this season. Teddy has had at least major written all over him since last night regardless of a minor sluggish tempo, a CDG wrapped nearly all around since last night is almost always indicative of a system that goes for major status. Plus it never really lost a fairly impressive IR presentation. Consistency is overrated, Teddy was clearly just taking a little break before making his big push today, recon goes in later this afternoon and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they find a Major(actually decent shot they find a cat 4 by the time they fly in there). A strengthening one at that too. Nothing to stop Teddy once it fully closes off that eye and starts to really turn it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morris said:

The satellite look degraded over the past hour. 

Convection is warming a little due to the time of day, but the appearance is improving rapidly and the eye is almost clear. Sally was a tropical storm when she had her deepest convection, and when she was on the cusp of a cat 3 it was actually a fair bit warmer