• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spotty 3+" rainfall NJ/LI Midnight Thu AM-9AM Fri 9/10-11/20

wdrag

Ok that was arguably the heaviest rains I’ve ever driven, it stripped away the remaining RainX off the windshield, and there are literal lakes on the sides of the LIE, never seen that before. Had to launch through flood waters just to get home, no other route (because Suffolk...).

2.08” so far, highest daily total by far this year, but it’s the short time frame that makes it more notable.

909A/10 update.

Added CoCoRAHS past 24 hours and WX underground  totals midnight-9A.   SPCHREF MAX Rfall graphic of 7" "was" a good starting point on max rainfall.  

Already 4.5-7.5" parts of s LI.

One foot max not impossible by 9A Friday if a number of the models are correct about training event on LI in PWAT of 2.2" tonight.  The launch of this last potential prolific band seems to be centering near I78 in e PA mid afternoon and then training east this evening. 

HRRR and HRDPS not in agreement but prior experience from reliable sources... light north wind just north of a boundary in high PWAT can yield prolific rainfall. We shall see if that includes LI tonight... I'd prepare for  flooded roads and basements there tonight, where ever 4+" occurred this morning,  and methods to evacuate water should these equally big rains develop tonight. 

Wantage NJ-this part..0.41" now. Nothing compared to other parts of NJ and LI. 

Screen_Shot_2020-09-10_at_8_50.27_AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.02.11 AM.png

• Like 1

Station Number: NY-NS-16  Station Name: Massapequa 0.9 SSW
Observation Date 9/10/2020 8:55 AM
Submitted 9/10/2020 9:05 AM
Total Precip Amount  5.41 in.
Notes numerous water rescues 
Taken at registered location Yes
Snow Information
New Snow Depth NA
New Snow Water Equivalent NA
Total Snow Depth NA
Total Snow Water Equivalent NA
Duration Information
Precipitation Began --
Precipitation Ended --
Heavy Precip Began --
Heavy Precip Lasted --
Duration Time Accuracy --
Additional Information
Additional Data Recorded No
Submitted 9/10/2020 9:05 AM
Flooding Unusual
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Looks like a bust for NJ. HRRR is very dry.

Frustrating that the heavier rain missed this area this morning. Only about a tenth of an inch here. If everything misses this afternoon, we will barely have gotten enough to water the gardens. Frustrating considering the potential this event had. Hopefully the current models are wrong about everything missing to the south and east this afternoon.

29 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Frustrating that the heavier rain missed this area this morning. Only about a tenth of an inch here. If everything misses this afternoon, we will barely have gotten enough to water the gardens. Frustrating considering the potential this event had. Hopefully the current models are wrong about everything missing to the south and east this afternoon.

I've already had more sun than yesterday

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

We also have to keep in mind there is "potential" for more heavy rain on Sunday which could cause even more flooding issues especially if it falls over the same areas that are getting or will get heavy rain this afternoon and evening. 

Am  not quite as concerned about Sunday... not ruling it out but I think Sunday's event will be less on LI... faster flow and not quite as extensive PWAT.  Potential yes, needs to be monitored.

I think late today-tonight is the key for me. IF the next big band occurs s of LI...that will be the best solution. Copiague near Amitityville is our largest amount that I can find so far (7+").  By the way, there was very little or no lighting associated with the event so far on our land area, at least to my knowledge. 

Also have my doubts right now about the 12z NAM HRRR solutions.  Need to reevaluate at 230P.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Luckily the really heavy rain stopped at around Sunrise Highway. Would have been much worse had most of the Island received the 5-6". 

This is the third such one of these events since 2011 that really straddled the south shore.   The Islip deluge in 2013 stretched a bit further inland.

*this is off the top of my head.  I'm sure @bluewavebluewave will know.