• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2020 OBS Thread

JTA66

I wonder if anyone from Mt Holly has done a study on how warm it has been since late May during the overnight hours compared to normal years? To have nighttime hours 10-15 degrees above normal constantly  and sometimes even 20 degrees has been a real son of gun for sleeping with the windows open. The grass continues to grow, the green mold growing on everything outside from the decomposition of fallen leaves/ light rain, mold counts still high and continuing cloud cover. Yes the heater has not run much but really, I do like to see frosty mornings during the fall. This year's constant stratus cloud cover at night has been just plain unbearable

• Weenie 1

On 11/26/2020 at 11:11 PM, Albedoman said:

I wonder if anyone from Mt Holly has done a study on how warm it has been since late May during the overnight hours compared to normal years? To have nighttime hours 10-15 degrees above normal constantly  and sometimes even 20 degrees has been a real son of gun for sleeping with the windows open. The grass continues to grow, the green mold growing on everything outside from the decomposition of fallen leaves/ light rain, mold counts still high and continuing cloud cover. Yes the heater has not run much but really, I do like to see frosty mornings during the fall. This year's constant stratus cloud cover at night has been just plain unbearable

I'm starting to get worried about ski season. Natural snow prospects look bleak... not even weenie runs, and I am sure the virus will change the economic calculus on making snow...

48F @ 1:15am sitting around the fire pit.  Dead calm wind....perfect setting.

Monday looks interesting (or as interesting as it gets). 1"+ rains, winds (40+) w/the possibility of a storm.    

That being said, I wouldn't mind a potential snow event in the near future.(Think DT is a little revved up during the 2nd week Dec) Care less if it was only a 1-2" event....just something to get things started.

• Weenie 1

another  crappy night to sleep if you like cold crisp fall nights -  windows open  still in the low 50's at 1 am  Mt Holly says to 38---   no way in hell with the stratus cover again. Avg low for my area is 30 degrees- I stand over 20 degrees above normal right now.  I will be mowing until January at this rate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albedoman said:

another  crappy night to sleep if you like cold crisp fall nights -  windows open  still in the low 50's at 1 am  Mt Holly says to 38---   no way in hell with the stratus cover again. Avg low for my area is 30 degrees- I stand over 20 degrees above normal right now.  I will be mowing until January at this rate.

Damn man, you're a spaz-case. Overnight temps have nothing to do w/lawn growth....if it grows, cut it. I'll probably do my last leave rake/lawn cut this week which is normal. (last week Nov)

45F

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Damn man, you're a spaz-case. Overnight temps have nothing to do w/lawn growth....if it grows, cut it. I'll probably do my last leave rake/lawn cut this week which is normal. (last week Nov)

45F

no, I am a soil/geological scientist . Name calling gets you absolutely no credibility as having a physical science background for sure on this site.  With warm overnight temps, the soil temps cannot drop and grass keeps growing.  15+ degree avg temps overnight temps will not place cool season grass in dormancy 

Soil temperature is not the same as air temperature

Soil temperature is not the same as air temperature. The earth acts like a giant radiator. It gradually absorbs the suns energy over time, and then releases it slowly. Air temperature can fluctuate dramatically as day turns to night and as the seasons progress. Soil takes a long time to change temperature.

In the spring, the soil is cold from the winter and can take a long time to heat up. This is why spring scarification and lawn repairing can pose problems due to the soil not having warmed sufficiently. Seed may not germinate quickly and grass growth can be sluggish.

Using an infra red soil thermometer to check soil temperature Using an infra red thermometer to check soil temperature

In the autumn, the opposite is true. The air temperature maybe falling, but the soil retains a lot of heat. This helps seed germination and aids the grass in absorbing valuable nutrients from autumn fertilisation. Many lawns can continue to look green and lush well into autumn and early winter. Autumn is usually the best time for seeding and major lawn renovation work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Albedoman said:

no, I am a soil/geological scientist . Name calling gets you absolutely no credibility as having a physical science background for sure on this site.  With warm overnight temps, the soil temps cannot drop and grass keeps growing.  15+ degree avg temps overnight temps will not place cool season grass in dormancy 

Soil temperature is not the same as air temperature

Soil temperature is not the same as air temperature. The earth acts like a giant radiator. It gradually absorbs the suns energy over time, and then releases it slowly. Air temperature can fluctuate dramatically as day turns to night and as the seasons progress. Soil takes a long time to change temperature.

In the spring, the soil is cold from the winter and can take a long time to heat up. This is why spring scarification and lawn repairing can pose problems due to the soil not having warmed sufficiently. Seed may not germinate quickly and grass growth can be sluggish.

Using an infra red soil thermometer to check soil temperature Using an infra red thermometer to check soil temperature

In the autumn, the opposite is true. The air temperature maybe falling, but the soil retains a lot of heat. This helps seed germination and aids the grass in absorbing valuable nutrients from autumn fertilisation. Many lawns can continue to look green and lush well into autumn and early winter. Autumn is usually the best time for seeding and major lawn renovation work.

^Just don't know why you're freaking out so much about overnight temps and grass growth? Things are pretty much normal down my way....front lawn hasn't grown in weeks and back yard a little. I'll rake up whatever leaves are left and mow the lawn this weekend and be done with it till next next year as usual. (End of Nov) Don't think temps have been so far off that would affect lawn growth.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

^Just don't know why you're freaking out so much about overnight temps and grass growth? Things are pretty much normal down my way....front lawn hasn't grown in weeks and back yard a little. I'll rake up whatever leaves are left and mow the lawn this weekend and be done with it till next next year as usual. (End of Nov) Don't think temps have been so far off that would affect lawn growth.

My observation is the change to warmth is significant. When I lived in Horsham the last lawn cut most seasons was a little past mid-October say around the 20th, then a leaf mulching run two weeks later. In a cooler region here in upper Bucks last lawn cuts were being made last week. A month change is huge.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

My observation is the change to warmth is significant. When I lived in Horsham the last lawn cut most seasons was a little past mid-October say around the 20th, then a leaf mulching run two weeks later. In a cooler region here in upper Bucks last lawn cuts were being made last week. A month change is huge.

Lived in Horsham for a good portion of my life (3-4 decades)....leaves were falling/grass growing way past mid Oct...trick/treat through leaves was super fun. Nov, still leaves but grass started to slow...end of Nov, clean up and done. 

I just don't see what the big shit is? After Monday (trashcans blowing again..lol)...temps/overnight temps will be average/below average til winter officially starts. Things level out......

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Lived in Horsham for a good portion of my life (3-4 decades)....leaves were falling/grass growing way past mid Oct...trick/treat through leaves was super fun. Nov, still leaves but grass started to slow...end of Nov, clean up and done. 

I just don't see what the big shit is? After Monday (trashcans blowing again..lol)...temps/overnight temps will be average/below average til winter officially starts. Things level out......

Since we spend so much time outside here, I've been enjoying this weather. Lots of wood to split, and evenings testing the results with a kettle fire. One more blowing of leaves probably, maybe a mow to be sure it's less than 2" long so the snow lays on it nice, good stuff. I was fireside about as late as you were last night, lol. It's been seasonably warm for the most part but not over the top. Feels like a nice lead in to some snow in December, that's my mindset at the moment anyway.

47 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Yeah, I don't mind above average temps this time of year. We got 5 months of rain and 40's staring us in the face, may as well enjoy the sun and warm temps while they last.

Last year was brutal we had 7 months of 40's rain I agree. Even better there is a strong indicator of an early spring coming this February.

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Since we spend so much time outside here, I've been enjoying this weather. Lots of wood to split, and evenings testing the results with a kettle fire. One more blowing of leaves probably, maybe a mow to be sure it's less than 2" long so the snow lays on it nice, good stuff. I was fireside about as late as you were last night, lol. It's been seasonably warm for the most part but not over the top. Feels like a nice lead in to some snow in December, that's my mindset at the moment anyway.

Outside again....a bit colder than previous nights.  39F @ 9:30pm but not bad at all. The key is the winds are calm. The last thing I need is a windy night where an ember blows across the yard and sets my neighbors house on fire...  

39.jpg

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

Last year was brutal we had 7 months of 40's rain I agree. Even better there is a strong indicator of an early spring coming this February.

Man you guys are really down on this winter. I could care less about the winter as a whole. Give me one 12+ storm and it’s lights out. Though, I still think this winter exceeds expectations, and by a lot.

• Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Man you guys are really down on this winter. I could care less about the winter as a whole. Give me one 12+ storm and it’s lights out. Though, I still think this winter exceeds expectations, and by a lot.

Not all of us. I don't expect a 12+ event but smaller storms which will be a helluva lot better than last year...

36F/zero wind/clear skies

• Weenie 1

Of course nowhere close to frost here in the peaks of Western Chesco - only made it down to 34.3 with still only 3 days of 32 or below - which is 11 less than normal through today. Warmest November on the books will do that! On this date back in 1995 we received 3.7" of snow which began the snowy winter of 1995-96 which saw Chesco finish with 81.9" of snow. At the time that was the 2nd snowiest winter exceeded only by 1898-99 when 95.0" fell in the county. We would exceed the 80" mark 2 more times with 86.6" in 2009-10 and 80.0" in 2013-14

image.png.76ec930404c5046d87af0a0ba6277367.png

11 hours ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Given my expectations are zero, I'd say that's a good bet :lol: All I really want is a warning level event(6"), and this winter would be cool in my book. 

It's still fall, right?  I just ran to the store and holy cow there was a strong sustained gust for a few minutes.  The drop ceiling tiles in the breezeway at cvs came flying down when an old lady came in the sliding doors during the gust, she almost got taken out!  Couple limbs down on the roads too.

Edit:  There is a tornado warning that was issued at 1:11pm.  Here is a screenshot of radar from the time of the gust in Phoenixville.  

Screenshot_20201130-131402_Wunderground_copy_213x352.jpg