Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2020 OBS Thread

JTA66

25 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Made it down to 36 this morning in Exton. Had some very light frost in the backyard. 

I don't know if Mt. Holly expected that type of temp that far south of where the advisories are.  If that big Canadian High drifts further overhead and things go calm, this weekend they may need to put up advisories down around this tier of counties below I-78.  Hell, if I dropped down to 44 in the city (although I'm at a higher elevation) with a breeze that kept up overnight, this possibility is a bit concerning for me regarding my more sensitive tropical potted plants out on my patio.  They are pretty much crowded/intertwined together, are generally established in their pots, and can probably tolerate a few chilly nights, but still. They don't like much below the mid-50s, and I know that 44 that I had this morning will probably start triggering yellow leaves on my plumeria... and we haven't even gotten the core of the cold yet before the temps rebound later next week. :o

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I don't know if Mt. Holly expected that type of temp that far south of where the advisories are.  If that big Canadian High drifts further overhead and things go calm, this weekend they may need to put up advisories down around this tier of counties below I-78.  Hell, if I dropped down to 44 in the city (although I'm at a higher elevation) with a breeze that kept up overnight, this possibility is a bit concerning for me regarding my more sensitive tropical potted plants out on my patio.  They are pretty much crowded/intertwined together, are generally established in their pots, and can probably tolerate a few chilly nights, but still. They don't like much below the mid-50s, and I know that 44 that I had this morning will probably start triggering yellow leaves on my plumeria... and we haven't even gotten the core of the cold yet before the temps rebound later next week. :o

We've got a couple of extra pieces of frost blanket you can have if you feel like driving over here - 12 ft and 24 ft wide x up to 50 ft. long. Keeps the temps up about 5 to 8 degrees. They probably sell it at Home Depot or places like that as well, although maybe not 24' wide.

42 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

We've got a couple of extra pieces of frost blanket you can have if you feel like driving over here - 12 ft and 24 ft wide x up to 50 ft. long. Keeps the temps up about 5 to 8 degrees. They probably sell it at Home Depot or places like that as well, although maybe not 24' wide.

Thanks for the offer!  You know that every gardener has some kind of frost protection. :D  I have frost blankets, frost jackets, and pieces of frost cloth.  And you just reminded me - I have a compact flatback vegtrug with my herbs in it that I have a frost cover for, so I should go on and pull that out and stick it on (I keep the insect cover on it normally). I have a bunch of different basils in there and I'm sure they won't like 40s... 

I usually have a staggered schedule of bringing the non-hardy potted plants in during the fall with the most tender usually coming in around the 2nd week of October (Columbus Day weekend) and the citrus & figs whenever the temps seem to demand it since they are more subtropical/warm temperate vs strict tropical and can often stay out there with more extended temps in the 40s.  We rarely have this kind of chill this early and for an "extended" period (meaning a couple days) like is progged, so I'm keeping an eye on the forecast for the next couple weeks in case this is actually a true pattern change.

Because of the spring/summer rain and then the sudden dry spell and cool temps, I bet the fall leaf color will be fantastic this year.  This weekend's chill is gonna really trigger those leaves on the hardwoods.  I've already seen honey locust leaf strands yellowing.

19 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Thanks for the offer!  You know that every gardener has some kind of frost protection. :D  I have frost blankets, frost jackets, and pieces of frost cloth.  And you just reminded me - I have a compact flatback vegtrug with my herbs in it that I have a frost cover for, so I should go on and pull that out and stick it on (I keep the insect cover on it normally). I have a bunch of different basils in there and I'm sure they won't like 40s... 

I usually have a staggered schedule of bringing the non-hardy potted plants in during the fall with the most tender usually coming in around the 2nd week of October (Columbus Day weekend) and the citrus & figs whenever the temps seem to demand it since they are more subtropical/warm temperate vs strict tropical and can often stay out there with more extended temps in the 40s.  We rarely have this kind of chill this early and for an "extended" period (meaning a couple days) like is progged, so I'm keeping an eye on the forecast for the next couple weeks in case this is actually a true pattern change.

Because of the spring/summer rain and then the sudden dry spell and cool temps, I bet the fall leaf color will be fantastic this year.  This weekend's chill is gonna really trigger those leaves on the hardwoods.  I've already seen honey locust leaf strands yellowing.

Speaking of feast or famine regarding rainfall, we had 17" here in August and so far about 1/4" in September. Great grass seeding weather if you've got a well. Good luck with the plants!

12 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Speaking of feast or famine regarding rainfall, we had 17" here in August and so far about 1/4" in September. Great grass seeding weather if you've got a well. Good luck with the plants!

I just checked my stations and I've had just over 18 1/2" total for July and August and just under 3/4" for September so far. I.e., the spigot definitely turned off here too.  I know September often tends to be a dry month with us wishing for some nor'easter to break mini-droughts, so with this active hurricane season, that might yet happen.  We are already a month ahead in named-storms compared to 2005 and we still have almost 10 weeks left in the "official" season to go. :yikes:

I rebounded up to 60 now with a still amazing low dp of 32.

I'm about 2 degrees cooler now than at the same time yesterday - (46 vs 48).  The winds had dropped off after 8 pm last night but then picked up a bit after 1 am this morning. Still have a few more hours to go.  I did notice that Mt. Holly added another tier of counties to the frost advisory but I think they may need to squeeze it in around Philly metro some more (although the discussion does mention "patchy" for places outside of their current advisories). 

I ended up hitting my "low" for this morning between 6:30 - 7:15 am with another 44, so didn't go lower than yesterday.  The active light breeze that had started after 1 am this morning precluded any further radiational cooling in this instance.  The dews have been running in the mid - upper 30s.

Currently partly cloudy and a breezy 56.

Yesterday's max temp of 58.9 just missed setting a record low max which was 58.0 set back in 1987. Today we have an excellent shot at a new record low maximum with the current record at 62.0 set back in 1993. Our AM low this morning again was no bueno for the 30's as we bottomed out at exactly 40.0. Of note today is the earliest date in the all time (all elevation) data set for the Western Chesco that we hit the freezing mark - with a low of 32.0 on this date back in 1956. That year also marked the shortest growing season for the local farmers as that season only lasted 119 days.

image.png.cc0297d32dd197560a19c853922d8e51.png