Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA 2020 Fall - The Hope begins

paweather

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

I’m thinking of buying this new weather station - WeatherFlow Tempest - and mounting to my garage roof. 

https://weatherflow.com/tempest-weather-system/

That's quite an intriguing weather station. A bit pricey, but if it's accurate, then it's worth it. Mine is due to be replaced (once I have discretionary funds again) and I would definitely consider this one. If you get it, please let us know how it performs.

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

That's quite an intriguing weather station. A bit pricey, but if it's accurate, then it's worth it. Mine is due to be replaced (once I have discretionary funds again) and I would definitely consider this one. If you get it, please let us know how it performs.

Will do. I need to look and see if mounting it is worthwhile - it won’t be too far from a structure (city livin’ ftw). 

22 minutes ago, canderson said:

I’m thinking of buying this new weather station - WeatherFlow Tempest - and mounting to my garage roof. 

A new WRF.

Hyper-Local Forecasting

Our forecast system initializes with the ECMWF, the highly acclaimed European global forecast model, the best of NOAA’s forecast models and WeatherFlow’s own in-house modeling suite . Over key areas, WeatherFlow’s operational forecast system (WF WRF) assimilates the most valuable observations into this powerful baseline to provide detailed regional forecasts.

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

A new WRF.

Hyper-Local Forecasting

Our forecast system initializes with the ECMWF, the highly acclaimed European global forecast model, the best of NOAA’s forecast models and WeatherFlow’s own in-house modeling suite . Over key areas, WeatherFlow’s operational forecast system (WF WRF) assimilates the most valuable observations into this powerful baseline to provide detailed regional forecasts.

It’s really interesting- solar power is a bit worrying for winter months but eh.

10 hours ago, canderson said:

Will do. I need to look and see if mounting it is worthwhile - it won’t be too far from a structure (city livin’ ftw). 

I spent considerable time researching this station shortly after it was first announced and was really intrigued by the whole thing. However, if you read the forums you'll see mounting can be a bit complicated due to needing to make sure there's no vibration getting to the unit. Why? Because vibrations can apparently be mistaken for rain due to the sensors used to detect rainfall.

My place vibrates enough to trigger some motion activated lights when a bus goes by. So for me the Weatherflow was a no-go.

Also, any birds deciding to land on it could possibly be detected as rain.

2 hours ago, kerplunk said:

I spent considerable time researching this station shortly after it was first announced and was really intrigued by the whole thing. However, if you read the forums you'll see mounting can be a bit complicated due to needing to make sure there's no vibration getting to the unit. Why? Because vibrations can apparently be mistaken for rain due to the sensors used to detect rainfall.

My place vibrates enough to trigger some motion activated lights when a bus goes by. So for me the Weatherflow was a no-go.

So we should all feed the birds more to put an end to this drought.

3 hours ago, kerplunk said:

With a very active railroad line less than a football field away from my house, it might be a no go for me as well, if that's true.

15 hours ago, canderson said:

I'm going to answer this publicly.

Pros:

• Affordable, it's roughly $300, but with the one time code Tempest10off you save 10% so you can up the shipping to get it quicker and it still comes out to around $300.
  • Ships quick. Purchased on a Monday, got it on a Friday. Had it set up that day.
  • Easy to install. All you need is a 1 inch pipe to mount it flush with a fence post. The directions are on their website. Sighting of the instrument is as you would any other weather station.
  • Easy to deploy. The station starts reporting within 3 minutes of being turned on. You can make a profile on wunderground and push the data there or to a personal website. The first day or two the data may be inconsistent, but within a week it'll sort itself out.
  • There's a smart phone app so you know what the weather is like at your house and you can integrate it with certain smart home features. Nest is not yet one of them.
  • Wind and temperature are highly accurate. We haven't had rain here yet so I can't talk to that.

Cons:

• Their predictive weather algorithm is terrible. It's never been right, but I have NWS et al so I don't care.
  • There is not long term storage of historical data (IE: highest temp, lowest temp, etc.). I've submitted that as a request for enhancement.
  • There is no physical display that you can mount on a wall or a countertop. You have to use your phone or PC to view the data. I've submitted that as a request for enhancement.
  • Like 2