Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA 2020 Fall - The Hope begins

paweather

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I saw Mag's post but when I read your post I looked out the window here and did not see much so was surprised when you mentioned it. 

That's interesting...reading posts in the DC thread that smoke is obscuring the sky EAST of the Chesapeake...surprised it's not noticeable where you are. The sky here is almost 100% "white" with little to no blue visible. 

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That's interesting...reading posts in the DC thread that smoke is obscuring the sky EAST of the Chesapeake...surprised it's not noticeable where you are. The sky here is almost 100% "white" with little to no blue visible. 

So I walked outside as I was just looking out one window.  It is fairly white to the South and east of here.  Quite Blue to the West and North.  

42 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Your have some big dog stores in that plaza.  I have to drive 20-30 min for any of that stuff. 

I always love how PA has Giant Eagle in the western part of the state and then Giant in the eastern/southern part of the state but they are two *completely* different companies lol but their rewards cards scan and work in either one (I assume you wont earn points tho) to get discounts 

Just now, Anduril said:

I always love how PA has Giant Eagle in the western part of the state and then Giant in the eastern/southern part of the state but they are two *completely* different companies lol but their rewards cards scan and work in either one (I assume you wont earn points tho) to get discounts 

And to make it even more confusing we do not have any Giants we have Martins but my points card says Giant but if I go into Maryland go to Giant they tell me to get my PA ass out of their store.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And to make it even more confusing we do not have any Giants we have Martins but my points card says Giant but if I go into Maryland go to Giant they tell me to get my PA ass out of their store.  

I forgot that Giant (ahold) owns Martins but shits so confusing didnt Giant (ahold) buy some other PA chain too?

1 minute ago, Anduril said:

I forgot that Giant (ahold) owns Martins but shits so confusing didnt Giant (ahold) buy some other PA chain too?

I think Ahold is owner of both but their logo's are different and in MD the Giants want nothing to do with my PA Giant card.   If Shasta's are 4 for a Dollar with your bonus card I have to pay $.50 each if in MD unless the Cashier is kind enough to swipe a community card.  The MD Giant's are named Giant Food's and based in Landover (Let's Go Caps) while the PA Giant is based in Carlisle but like you said I think they are both owned by Netherlands Ahold.

Pretty interesting and informative disco from CTP tonight...A little reminder of Meteo 436 (Atmospheric Radiation) a long time ago.  Adjusting temps down some tomorrow due to the smoke remaining in the upper levels. Frost advisory up for McKean County (Bradford area) tonight. 

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...
Efficient radiational cooling associated with surface high
should result in a chilly overnight. Although a large area of
smoke has moved in over the area, this should not impact
overnight low temps. Smoke can filter out shortwave radiation
from the sun resulting in cooler days, but is not as effective
in absorbing longwave radiation (the smoke particles are too
small), so it has little impact on overnight low temps. Diurnal
mixing will diminish early this evening, bringing nearly calm
winds. A large spread between air and stream water temperatures
should result in the typical dendritic pattern of valley fog
across the Alleghenies after midnight. In addition, latest
guidance lends increasing confidence in areas of frost in the
normally cooler hollows of northwest Pa. A frost advisory is in
effect for Mckean County where the frost is expected to most
widespread, with more patchy frost anticipated elsewhere across
the northwest mountains.

Large scale subsidence and dry air associated with center of
surface high should translate to a virtually cloudless Tuesday.
However, we will continue to see smoke advected in aloft from
the wildfires out west. As such, knocked down high temps a few
degrees for Tue, with temps generally not getting out of the
upper 60s. Dewpoints will remain around 40F, possibly lower if
we can mix up to the very dry air near 5kft, but was not too
aggressive with mixing due to smoke filtering the sunshine.

14 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Pretty interesting and informative disco from CTP tonight...A little reminder of Meteo 436 (Atmospheric Radiation) a long time ago.  Adjusting temps down some tomorrow due to the smoke remaining in the upper levels. Frost advisory up for McKean County (Bradford area) tonight. 

That’s a great discussion from CTP. That smoke has traveled a long way to PA.

Happy first CTP Frost Advisory for at least 1 County!

Last night I was disgusted by the performance of my Philly sports teams on Sunday. I cheered myself up by going back to read our Winter thread from 2015. We had many snow events which were mostly the 3 to 5 inch type of storm. There was also the record cold of February 2015. We had a lot of fun in here that Winter!