Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA 2020 Fall - The Hope begins

paweather

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Cashtown_Coop, where do you stand for total precip in 2020?  My records are not trustworthy past May so curious if we are normal for the year despite the large summer deficit.    MDT would be at 28" through August if you average out their norm monthly numbers.

I really should keep records in an Excel doc or something but I'm lazy. What's MDT at for precip this year? 

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

How are we basically even? That’s crazy.

I was thinking we were probably 5-6+ coming into the summer depending on locale.  But for our yards, crops, and really the water level we are not even because the extra rain came when there was much less evaporation going on so when it started going downhill it feel off a cliff.  Assuming Cashtown's 28" through Aug 31 but taking my locale into consideration we have only had 7-9" of rain here since May 1 so say 8".  That means we had 20" of rain when we least needed it and 8" over 4 months when we needed it most.  Result?  Farmers filing claims for crop damage and wells running dry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

How are we basically even? That’s crazy.

You must be forgetting our first three months of the year featured cutter after cutter after cutter...after cutter. That's okay I don't blame you lol. We were wet the past winter into the early spring. We would likely have been in a more advanced stage of drought (longer term effects) had the last winter been a dry one to go with the mild. 

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

You must be forgetting our first three months of the year featured cutter after cutter after cutter...after cutter. That's okay I don't blame you lol. We were wet the past winter into the early spring. We would likely have been in a more advanced stage of drought (longer term effects) had the last winter been a dry one to go with the mild. 

I blocked out January through May.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sauss06 said:

ive had my best luck mid to late September. im planning now to get an aerator 

its a gamble, i try and use Ma nature to water for me if i can work it out. 

I use the following for my lawn:

Rain & Sun

Whatever happens to my lawn is just fine. It always seems to bounce back from droughts and monsoons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I think you missed a cutter or 20 !!!

Here is to a better season this year!

It won’t take much snow to beat last year!

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Give me low sun angle snow anytime. To me, I'd much rather enjoy 6" on the ground for a week than 12" that is essentially gone in 2 days.

Ditto.  And that is what she said. 

To add to this using MDT as the location, 3 of the top 4 snowstorms, amount wise, in history have occurred before February 1.  So early snow is not always lighter snow. 

• Haha 2