Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn 2020 Banter

doncat

Anyone else see this?  

They are making another attempt to fix the GFS.  This sounds like they made some pretty big upgrades this time.

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-upgrades-global-ensemble-forecast-system?fbclid=IwAR3PsLpF4Ms9da0WPiKu9BV_UY2Rp1oji9gDDAT7oMogIYTdgODuapDPpKQ

On 1/21/2015 at 11:54 AM, metTURNEDpro said:

Good morning everyone. I just wanted to say a couple of things, I haven't been honest with you guys, my name is Tony (aka tonylovessnow) and I got banned so I made a new name because I love this site and love interacting with everyone on here everybody chips in and makes the perfect forum. Secondly I have had the worst night of my life last night and I need your advice. I know we are tracking the biggest storm of the winter and I'm so happy about it but friends I'd like to tell you about my horrible experience because I need your advice. Last night 3 people tried to murder me and I got away with one stab wound and a few bumps and bruises. I've had some threatening calls a few months ago and I never reported it to the cops because I just didn't think it was credible. I'd like to ask you guys what you would do if someone tried to murder you? I'm sorry to be blunt but I'm in really bad shape and you guys are my friends and I wanted to hear your opinion. What do you think I should do?

I think you need more of this and less pattern recognition posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New Record Low Northern Hemisphere Temperature:

From the World Meteorological Organization:

WMO has recognized a temperature of -69.6°C (-93.3°F) at an automatic weather station in Greenland on 22 December 1991 as the lowest ever recorded in the Northern Hemisphere.

The temperature record was uncovered after nearly 30 years by “climate detectives” with the WMO Archive of Weather and Climate Extremes. It eclipses the value of -67.8°C recorded at the Russian sites of Verkhoyanksk (February 1892) and Oimekon (January 1933).

The world’s coldest temperature record, of -89.2°C (-128.6°F) on 21 July 1983, is held by the high-altitude Vostok weather station in Antarctica.

https://wmo.asu.edu/new-coldest-northern-hemispheric-temperature

The related paper:

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.3901

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

New Record Low Northern Hemisphere Temperature:

From the World Meteorological Organization:

WMO has recognized a temperature of -69.6°C (-93.3°F) at an automatic weather station in Greenland on 22 December 1991 as the lowest ever recorded in the Northern Hemisphere.

The temperature record was uncovered after nearly 30 years by “climate detectives” with the WMO Archive of Weather and Climate Extremes. It eclipses the value of -67.8°C recorded at the Russian sites of Verkhoyanksk (February 1892) and Oimekon (January 1933).

The world’s coldest temperature record, of -89.2°C (-128.6°F) on 21 July 1983, is held by the high-altitude Vostok weather station in Antarctica.

https://wmo.asu.edu/new-coldest-northern-hemispheric-temperature

The related paper:

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.3901

I think Summit Camp in Greenland is colder than Klinck, but they've only been keeping records for a few years there.  It's at the top of the Greenland Ice Cap.  I still like Siberia better for temperature anomalies, because it's the only place on earth that can go from -90 to +90 (and even 100 now.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FPizz said:

How does the weather station know if there was lightning?  What station is that?  I have an Ambient Osprey one.  

Mine is also an Ambient Osprey, but I use it with an Ecowitt GW1000 + Ambient’s WeatherBridge. The Osprey feeds into the GW1000, and the GW1000 feeds into the WeatherBridge. I have the Ecowitt Lightning Detector which is the exact same as Ambient’s and the WeatherBridge uploads it all to the Ambient site.

Ambient’s newer display (WS-2000) for the Osprey also allows for lightning detection, and is much simpler than my set up lol.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Much cooler pattern to start October than last year.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
553 AM EDT THU OCT 3 2019

...RECORD DAILY AND MONTHLY HIGH TEMPERATURE SET YESTERDAY AT NEWARK 
NJ...

A RECORD DAILY AND MONTHLY HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 96 DEGREES WAS SET AT 
NEWARK NJ YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD DAILY RECORD OF 86 SET IN
2013...AND THE OLD MONTHLY RECORD OF 93 SET ON OCTOBER 5 1941. 

RECORD EVENT REPORT
549 AM EDT THU OCT 3 2019

...RECORD DAILY AND MONTHLY HIGH TEMPERATURE SET YESTERDAY AT 
KENNEDY NY...

A RECORD DAILY AND MONTHLY HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 95 DEGREES WAS SET AT 
KENNEDY NY YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD DAILY RECORD OF 85 SET IN 
2013...AND THE OLD MONTHLY RECORD OF 90 SET ON OCTOBER 8 2007. 

RECORD EVENT REPORT
551 AM EDT THU OCT 3 2019

...RECORD DAILY AND MONTHLY HIGH TEMPERATURE SET YESTERDAY AT 
LAGUARDIA NY...

A RECORD DAILY AND MONTHLY HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 95 DEGREES WAS SET AT 
LAGUARDIA NY YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD DAILY RECORD OF 87 SET 
IN 2002...AND THE OLD MONTHLY RECORD OF 93 SET ON OCTOBER 5 1941. 

It sure is, this was my Facebook memory yesterday from last year...

26E0273F-E550-4386-889E-485F0046F3E7.jpeg

11 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

FYI, daily EPO and WPO values will no longer be available at:

https://psl.noaa.gov/data/correlation/epo.daily

I just saw this...

Note: As of 23 September 2020, the Global Ensemble Forecast System has been upgraded to a much improved version 12, and this page is now obsolete. New reforecasts are available via Amazon Web Services for free download, at https://noaa-gefs-retrospective.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html, and you are directed there for data access. It is straightforward to set up scripts to loop over days and members and download sequences of global fields using wget or curl. The experimental forecast product pages that we have developed based on the previous model version and reforecasts will not be updated; we have not received any resources for updating them, regrettably. If you have questions or comments about this dataset or the associated products, please contact: [email protected]

Note: Updated daily forecasts of teleconnection indices produced at NCEP's Climate Prediction Center can be found here.

17 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

i have started seeing the spotted lanternfly the last few weeks in New Brunswick, for the first time.  and once you see one, well, it was like they all showed up all at once.

They have been in Piscataway for a few months.  I am on the one neighborhood FB page and people have posted them.  Where I am in Branchburg, they are all over the place.  

15 minutes ago, FPizz said:

They have been in Piscataway for a few months.  I am on the one neighborhood FB page and people have posted them.  Where I am in Branchburg, they are all over the place.  

only a matter of time before they spread out regionally.  A few have been spotted in Greenwich, CT right at the NY border.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

I just saw this...

Note: As of 23 September 2020, the Global Ensemble Forecast System has been upgraded to a much improved version 12, and this page is now obsolete. New reforecasts are available via Amazon Web Services for free download, at https://noaa-gefs-retrospective.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html, and you are directed there for data access. It is straightforward to set up scripts to loop over days and members and download sequences of global fields using wget or curl. The experimental forecast product pages that we have developed based on the previous model version and reforecasts will not be updated; we have not received any resources for updating them, regrettably. If you have questions or comments about this dataset or the associated products, please contact: [email protected]

Note: Updated daily forecasts of teleconnection indices produced at NCEP's Climate Prediction Center can be found here.

It should be noted that the download site only goes through 2019. The NCEP site doesn’t include EPO and WPO forecasts. One can still get them through various vendors for the EPS, GEFS, etc. Actual observed values are no longer available as far as I know.

29 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It should be noted that the download site only goes through 2019. The NCEP site doesn’t include EPO and WPO forecasts. One can still get them through various vendors for the EPS, GEFS, etc. Actual observed values are no longer available as far as I know.

I noticed that the vendors calculate the teleconnections indices in a slightly different manner than the CPC. But it looks like the the EPO and WPO forecasts will only be available from the vendors going forward. We can still use the 500mb height anomalies to get an idea of the EPO and WPO values.

• Like 1