Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs 2020

George BM

21 minutes ago, frd said:

I have followed the PNA, EPO, NAO and AO for decades, but this is one crazy drop and rebound for the PNA. If true, expect some interesting weather. 

604714737_pna.sprd2(1).thumb.gif.1b3682fef6d4209df9bb8fab63275c25.gif

When I look at that all I see is the long stretch of positive PNA and just knowing that’s about to flip negative for about 6 months

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

When I look at that all I see is the long stretch of positive PNA and just knowing that’s about to flip negative for about 6 months

I share your sentiment,  but hopefully the winter outcome will at least go our way some of the times. :santa:

@WinterWxLuvr to possible improve your perceptions, away from the PNA and looking for at least some positives for the upcoming winter I give you this ( below ) . Like to see this November,  but I will take what I can given the latest climate model outlooks for the upcoming winter.  

Posting this here, versus the winter thread,  because it is happening now and also to go along with your comment about the PNA. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frd said:

@WinterWxLuvr to possible improve your perceptions, away from the PNA and looking for at least some positives for the upcoming winter I give you this ( below ) . Like to see this November,  but I will take what I can given the latest climate model outlooks for the upcoming winter.  

Posting this here, versus the winter thread,  because it is happening now and also to go along with your comment about the PNA. 

LOL. What a hack this dude is. He pulls this shit every year. No, there is no proven connection between a -AO/NAO in Sept and October, and what may transpire in the HL region in December and beyond. Its a crapshoot, and based on recent winters, and prospects for a moderate a NINA this winter, odds are this wont work out too well.

37 minutes ago, CAPE said:

LOL. What a hack this dude is. He pulls this shit every year. No, there is no proven connection between a -AO/NAO in Sept and October, and what may transpire in the HL region in December and beyond. Its a crapshoot, and based on recent winters, and prospects for a moderate a NINA this winter, odds are this wont work out too well.

I assume you are referring to  " I take credit where I shouldn't Judah Cohen " ?  

His part of the message here was attached as a reply to Simmon , however, Simmon Lee is rather sensible and much more proficient than Judah.  

Simmon knows his stuff. 

• Like 1

Just now, frd said:

I assume you are referring to  " I take credit where I shouldn't Judah Cohen " ?  

His part of the message here was attached as a reply to Simmon , however, Simmon Lee is rather sensible and much more proficient than Judah.  

Simmon knows his stuff. 

Yes. That dude is a joke.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frd said:

This recent cool to cold period in our area is even more impressive when you consider it bucks the trend of the last 10 years, and also counters what in our area is the month with the most warming compared to normal during the past 30 years.  Indeed, as mentioned before,  the warm Atlantic has extended the summer well into October many times here recently. Many locations have set record highs late in the warm season on the periphery of the warm Western Atlantic waters/ WAR .   

So what are the teleconnections or factors producing the early autumn this year?

32 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Still waiting for the return of the stink bugs. Haven't see one yet. Maybe nature has adapted. Can only hope.

I personally think they are moving south as time progresses. I know here they are much less populous than they were 8 or so years ago. I also know that there was a time when my sister who lives in Knoxville had never heard of them but now is overrun with them.

We can only hope

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely less around.  I remember the first year or 2 of there vacation here there wasn't an attic around I didn't encounter 100s of them.  I even saw a couple electrical panels filled completely and shorted out the bus bar lol :lightning:

Hopefully good riddance 

Meanwhile, cicada storms are around the corner. 

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Seems the stink bugs reached some equilibrium with the ecosystem. Hopefully the spotted lantern flies do the same down the road because they’re coming and the reports from PA ssssuuucccckkkk.

Invasive species from Asia have done enough damage that you’d think we’d spend a good bit of effort to stop it. 

After 4 billion chesnut trees, all the ash trees, the stink bugs, now this one you’d think we might pay closer attention.

Interesting that with both of these, their first documented appearance was in Pa.

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Seems the stink bugs reached some equilibrium with the ecosystem. Hopefully the spotted lantern flies do the same down the road because they’re coming and the reports from PA ssssuuucccckkkk.

Confirmed in Cecil and Harford counties, unfortunately. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/spotted-lanternfly  

Anytime we’re hiking in Garrett County, I make a point to look for them - they are a disaster for the ecosystem.

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely less around.  I remember the first year or 2 of there vacation here there wasn't an attic around I didn't encounter 100s of them.  I even saw a couple electrical panels filled completely and shorted out the bus bar lol :lightning:

Hopefully good riddance 

The last few years were bad here. Since I don't have an attic- log home with all cathedral ceilings- once they find a way in up top, they end up in the house and live with me all winter. I probably flushed 100 of them down the toilet from Jan to March, and vacuumed up a bunch more. Annoying bastards.

I am ready this year. Last weekend I sprayed an insecticide with a long lasting residual under the eaves, along the fascia, soffit vents, and the entire chimney from bottom to top. They are normally congregating on the south side of the house by now. I don't think they are going to be suddenly absent this year, but hopefully not as many.

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

I rarely see a stink bug anymore. Now if that tiger mosquito could go away I’d be happy

temp down to 41.3° this morning. Might dip a tiny bit more but could be the coldest morning so far

There are a only a few out here and there, but they are aggressive. I wouldn't think they last much longer, with the dry stretch and cooler temps.

• H2O unpinned this topic