Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs 2020

George BM

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

The chance for excessive rain today was forecast yesterday for the area. Models struggle with pinpointing the exact locations where the heavy rain will occur given subtle forcing mechanisms and weak flow aloft. There is no bust here.

I call bust. I checked on the NWS site for my zip code and it said .5 to .75" rain.  The disclaimer is usually "except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms" or something to that effect. There was no such disclaimer yesterday (last night). I'm not 100% on this. That phrasing gets my attention.

11 minutes ago, coolio said:

I call bust. I checked on the NWS site for my zip code and it said .5 to .75" rain.  The disclaimer is usually "except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms" or something to that effect. There was no such disclaimer yesterday (last night). I'm not 100% on this. That phrasing gets my attention.

You are never going to see a forecast of 4-6" when the convection is scattered in nature. Come on. Read the headlines. There was a FFW put into effect. Read the forecast discussions. Read the WPC outlooks and meso discussions. There was a MPD  put out at 1245 PM today highlighting the FF risk for the DC area. The excessive rain potential was well advertised in advance, and localized amounts of 5" were highlighted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

You are never going to see a forecast of 4-6" when the convection is scattered in nature. Come on. Read the headlines. There was a FFW put into effect. Read the forecast discussions. Read the WPC outlooks and meso discussions. There was a MPD  put out at 1245 PM today highlighting the FF risk for the DC area. The excessive rain potential was well advertised in advance, and localized amounts of 5" were highlighted.

When do you see 4-6'' AREA WIDE outside of a true landfalling tropical? Come on CAPE.

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I saw the FFW this morning, but that is too late for most folks. They check the forecast last night (like me) or sometimes in the am.  . I'm looking at the NWS for my zip right now and it says: "  New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. " There was nothing like that last night, or I dont remember that.

5 minutes ago, coolio said:

I saw the FFW this morning, but that is too late for most folks. They check the forecast last night (like me) or sometimes in the am.  . I'm looking at the NWS for my zip right now and it says: "  New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. " There was nothing like that last night, or I dont remember that.

This is why you read the headlines and the AFD. The mesos were all over the place with exactly where the localized heavy rains would set up, even this morning. My local forecast had 1-2 for today, and it looks pretty spot on as of now. Further NW was more iffy based on most guidance, so probably why LWX went more generic/conservative with amounts on the point/click.

And again, WPC highlighted the risk for excessive rains for DC-BWI-PHI and points east yesterday.

58 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Neighbor measured 4.2 inches here, seems about right given how much water was in my basement. Might have to bite the bullet and actually get it waterproofed.  Anyone have a good waterproofing company that does Montgomery county?

J E S. Very good . Neighbor had work done. Excellent job.

• Like 1

• H2O unpinned this topic