Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Plenty around here. When I see them I am happy they are pecking on a tree and not my house.

Yeah. Unfortunately, we have an idiot woodpecker. He/she starts pecking at the metal flashing at frickin 6am in the morning. A few years ago, I thought it was someone trying to break into our house. lol  Then I later figured out it was a wayward woodpecker pecking on things it shouldn't.  lol 

1 hour ago, adelphi_sky said:

Yeah. Unfortunately, we have an idiot woodpecker. He/she starts pecking at the metal flashing at frickin 6am in the morning. A few years ago, I thought it was someone trying to break into our house. lol  Then I later figured out it was a wayward woodpecker pecking on things it shouldn't.  lol 

Yeah they peck sometimes to attract a mate. Its called drumming.

In my case, having a log home, they were pecking for carpenter bee larvae. Destructive one-two punch. Luckily I have that situation under control with bee traps.

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Looking fwd to tracking possibly the best setup yet for repeated days of really moist flow and convection starting Wednesday.  Hopefully score a couple flush storm hits imby . It's been a pretty abysmal summer for solid t+l storm hits and could use more rain here. Those with 15-22 inches of qpf the past month ignore this post :whistle:

Those 15 inches of rain were pretty boring. Not a lot of thunder this summer from what I can remember.

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

In my case, having a log home, they were pecking for carpenter bee larvae. Destructive one-two punch. Luckily I have that situation under control with bee traps.

Sometimes there’s something behind that flashing that they are after. One sure way to get woodpeckers hammering your house or decking is to let carpenter bees cohabitate with you. 

I’ve always heard that a fake owl prominently positioned outside will keep woodpeckers away.

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

Oh and those bee traps are pretty amazing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Sometimes there’s something behind that flashing that they are after. One sure way to get woodpeckers hammering your house or decking is to let carpenter bees cohabitate with you. 

I’ve always heard that a fake owl prominently positioned outside will keep woodpeckers away.

I never had any luck with that keeping birds away. Every couple years I get a male cardinal or bluebird that fights with its refection in my windows, and they are persistent. Fake owls never worked. What did work are those inflatable "beach balls" with the big, exaggerated eyes all the way around, and a shiny ribbon that hangs from the bottom. Hung those up and they spin and move in the breeze, and instantly no birds banging into my windows and shitting everywhere. Problem is they are so obsessed that they look for another reflective surface- like the mirror on your car or even a piece of chrome trim lol.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

I never had any luck with that keeping birds away. Every couple years I get a male cardinal or bluebird that fights with its refection in my windows, and they are persistent. Fake owls never worked. What did work are those inflatable "beach balls" with the big, exaggerated eyes all the way around, and a shiny ribbon that hangs from the bottom. Hung those up and they spin and move in the breeze, and instantly no birds banging into my windows and shitting everywhere. Problem is they are so obsessed that they look for another reflective surface- like the mirror on your car or even a piece of chrome trim lol.

That’s funny. You and I have had similar experiences. I had a woodpecker, big one with the Woody type red head that started hammering my windows and French doors. Then he started drilling the side mirrors on my truck. I finally was able to get rid of him after I ran him off enough times. Guy was impressive though. When he cranked it up it sounded like a jackhammer.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s funny. You and I have had similar experiences. I had a woodpecker, big one with the Woody type red head that started hammering my windows and French doors. Then he started drilling the side mirrors on my truck. I finally was able to get rid of him after I ran him off enough times. Guy was impressive though. When he cranked it up it sounded like a jackhammer.

Yeah I have those too. One slammed into one of my large right triangle windows and flopped down on the deck a few years back. Thing was huge and I wasn't sure it was going to live. I left it alone and checked on it a couple hours later and it looked better. When I walked towards it, it hopped up and flew to a nearby tree.

8 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Another dry day! 3 in a row, first time that has happened since 7/18-7/22 here. I've decided 77 for a high and 49 for a low should be the national temperature, like a flag or flower or bird.....

63.1F Dry. I haven't turned on my sprinklers in a while. Grass and plants are still green.

Give me 80 degrees, partly cloudy, and an occasional breeze. That way, if you are out where there is no shade you get brief respites from passing clouds and a slight breeze. Ahhhhhh. 

17 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro setup looked real ripe for days of convection starting Wed  but the  last 36 hours of runs its moved away unfortunately for mby . Love to see some action up here . Pretty crappy summer storm season here. And  If no more tropical delivers I'll be rooting for a 10/29/11 redux:snowing: to start the winter season off .

October snow is a death kiss for a good winter in these parts.

• Like 2

Just now, Rhino16 said:

Does it actually happen though? The GFS always freaks out and says it will, but of course it never does. I think it did this past year iirc.

Someone did a story of October snows greater than 1" at BWI, MDT and DCA. The results were pretty close to 1:1 that showed more than 1" in October with the exception of 1 year (2002-2003?) was warm and well below average.

5 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

October snow is a death kiss for a good winter in these parts.

The one I remember was 10/10/1979 with 2-3" in northern Calvert.  The following winter was decent with 20.1 for DCA and 26.8 for IAD.

Oh and Denver - their last three days were 101, 97 and 93.  Can you even?

• Haha 1

• H2O unpinned this topic