Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs 2020

George BM

14 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I can't believe I got another flooding rain this evening. Two rounds went through. The first round was the tornado producer. I was less then 5 miles from the affected areas. The lightning bombs it was tossing were impressive. I received 2.65" in a short time. 

Some bombs going off here now. This is more impressive than round one for sure. Last night was still better.

• Like 1

With all the headlines concerned with wind damage/tornadoes, the flooding threat seems to have been overlooked. I may have missed it but didn't see any FFW up last night, even as multiple rounds of storms with heavy rain were training over this area. I saw several scenes like this within 3 miles of my house driving into work this morning.

flood.thumb.jpg.551626877f97a7e940d980c368f9ca7d.jpg

355811542_flood2.thumb.jpg.652b9c68a3e4602d774d4884d2bc70f2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Is that just standing water and not creek or tidal overflow?  If I ever move to the eastern shore, I think I would just automatically build on pilings.

Just standing water in this photo. Further up the road there was a swollen creek running across the road. This particular shot is a place where the drainage ditches are inadequate and don't drain into a major ditch or creek. Gotta pick your spots on the mid/upper eastern shore as the soil is so variable. Probably some heavy clay in this guy's yard that drains very slowly. My place is high and dry and has extremely well drained soil.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

More like hell lol. When I drive by there on the way home later today, that will probably be a few shallow puddles in the yard. That only happens when it rains excessively in a short time period.

For the bitten ones, indeed.

Been dealing with them for decades.  It's amazing how little standing water is needed for those SOBs to multiply.
Just a tire left outside can breed an army of those bloodsuckers in short order.

Got 0.9 to go with the 0.5 for Wednesday.  Ready for the beautiful dry weekend.

Speaking of bugs, I hate the way these new Asian Tiger mosquitoes bite all hours of the day.  Also, anyone else notice how LOUD and relentless the annual cicadas have been this summer?  It's hard to enjoy the deck with those things making my ears bleed.

17 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

For the bitten ones, indeed.

Been dealing with them for decades.  It's amazing how little standing water is needed for those SOBs to multiply.
Just a tire left outside can breed an army of those bloodsuckers in short order.

I have a non-tidal "seasonal" wetland on my property and I have to deal with it every Spring. If I dont larvacide, I will have a mosquito heaven(hell) like no other by early May. It dries up as the trees become active and the days longer and warmer, and I have only had some pesky late summer mosquitoes around in the past few weeks. Hopefully all this rain doesn't ramp them up. I am very conscious of not having anything around that can capture and hold shallow water.

8 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Anxiously waiting for first frost to get rid of the bugs once and for all this season.

Stink bugs will be back soon. Those bastards have really ramped up in this area over the last few years. They like spending the winter with me, and I am going to try to make sure they don't this year.

• H2O unpinned this topic