Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter 2020

George BM

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I saw a Eastern shore town tried to cancel Halloween Trick or Treating lol( Pocomo City).  And they got big push back ( no surprise) . Word is they walked that decision back on Facebook to saying they discourage Trick or treating . Another example of no rationale or common sense in decisions. 

Literally makes zero sense. 

• Like 1

Cancelling Halloween sounds like a great idea to me, but not because of covid concerns.. Kids don't need more encouragement to eat refined sugar. We lead the world in health issues exacerbated by chronically eating crap.

Now here is one that makes zero sense. Friend of mine in the UK told me they are restricting private indoor gatherings to no more than 6 people(outside of family)- enforceable by penalty- yet all the pubs are open and usually jammed with people.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely some truth to the eating lots of crap  ( my parents were guilty of feeding my brother and I happy meals everyday:popcorn:) but many parents these days limit there kid's sugar intake.  Halloween is a sort of once a year indulgence for many and this year imo its more then that . It's about getting little Jane and Joe out of isolation even if its for a evening to breathe some autumn air , dress up in there favorite character costume,  proudly showing it off to others , being social again. And them seeing other kids doing the same . Its extremely safe being outside if you use some common sense .Kids could  Definitely use those few hours of a sense of normalcy .

Get your transmission back yet?

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Drinking one of these.

So Happens It's Tuesday with Coffee (2017) - The Bruery - Untappd

Holy shit. The smell is as good as the taste. Been wanting to try this, but at 14 bucks its a bit steep. It is worth it. Great Imperial BBA stout. With coffee!

The bruery makes good stuff. Last weekend I had a jailbreak collab with evil twin. It was a imperial stout aged in Syrah barrels. Had some interesting wine notes. Can’t remember if I talked about it on here or not lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Nice post. Good info.

You could have been a lazy, useless turd like Mersky, and weenied or laughed at his post, as he always does, but ofc, that's not you. That's him.

Hey it’s obvious he spent 30 years as a pro met developing his use of that emoji!  That and CFS MJO projections...

RESPECT!!!

• Haha 1

Weekend project included relocating my anemometer (at Deep Creek).  Originally, I had it combined with my temp/rain/etc sensor on my Vantage Pro 2, which has given me lame wind readings from the get go.  My first idea was to mount it on the roof but I was worried about attracting lightning with a metal pole/tripod.  So instead I buried a 6’ wood post into the ground - joined 2 PVC pipes together, painted them white (to protect against UV rays), filled them with sand (to give some more ‘weight’), and attached it to the post.  Thanks @RDM for the advice via PM!

While not a perfect siting, its way better than what I had previously as it’s about 15’ above ground.  I’ll see how it does and may decide to do a longer metal pole and ground it eventually.  

Of course there’s literally been zero wind here tonight.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Weekend project included relocating my anemometer (at Deep Creek).  Originally, I had it combined with my temp/rain/etc sensor on my Vantage Pro 2, which has given me lame wind readings from the get go.  My first idea was to mount it on the roof but I was worried about attracting lightning with a metal pole/tripod.  So instead I buried a 6’ wood post into the ground - joined 2 PVC pipes together, painted them white (to protect against UV rays), filled them with sand (to give some more ‘weight’), and attached it to the post.  Thanks @RDM for the advice via PM!

While not a perfect siting, its way better than what I had previously as it’s about 15’ above ground.  I’ll see how it does and may decide to do a longer metal pole and ground it eventually.  

Of course there’s literally been zero wind here tonight.

Sounds like a nice project nj2va.  If you ever need to service it, would guess you'll like having relatively easy access to it from the ground.  (compared to the roof).  Hope it works well for you

Been thinking about taking my wife and daughter (23yo) on a long weekend trip sometime soon.  Being cooped up since March is taking its toll.  Your mention of Deep Creek made me think that would be a nice area to take them.  Do a little hiking etc.  They've never been there before.  Wisp was the first place I skied after moving here in 85.  Was terrified at the time how "steep" the front face was.  Three years later I moved to Germany dove in big time and skied all over the Alps.  Went back to Wisp once after that - what a different perspective it had the second time.  None the less, like the area around Deep Cr  

37 minutes ago, RDM said:

Sounds like a nice project nj2va.  If you ever need to service it, would guess you'll like having relatively easy access to it from the ground.  (compared to the roof).  Hope it works well for you

Been thinking about taking my wife and daughter (23yo) on a long weekend trip sometime soon.  Being cooped up since March is taking its toll.  Your mention of Deep Creek made me think that would be a nice area to take them.  Do a little hiking etc.  They've never been there before.  Wisp was the first place I skied after moving here in 85.  Was terrified at the time how "steep" the front face was.  Three years later I moved to Germany dove in big time and skied all over the Alps.  Went back to Wisp once after that - what a different perspective it had the second time.  None the less, like the area around Deep Cr  

So much to do here and fall is no different - I’m sure your family would have fun and I’d be happy to give some recommendations! 

I laughed at the Alps vs Wisp comparison. I’d think a green Alps hill is similar to a black diamond Wisp hill ha. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nj2va said:

So much to do here and fall is no different - I’m sure your family would have fun and I’d be happy to give some recommendations! 

I laughed at the Alps vs Wisp comparison. I’d think a green Alps hill is similar to a black diamond Wisp hill ha. 

haha - Indeed on the Alps.  Their trails typically go blue, green, red and black, with not much blue.  And if you come across a sign that says "Actung" you gotta really pay attention (that means this is REALLY steep).  If you ski and haven't had a chance to ski the Alps it is a must.  

After skiing the Alps I went to Squaw Valley in CA - was disappointing in the lack of vertical.  In Zermatt, Switzerland (where the Matterhorn is) you can ski more than 8500 feet of vertical in one run - more than twice the max vertical of anyplace in N. America.    It's breathtaking, literally.  You start at 13,500 feet where the air is thin and curve around adjacent to the Matterhorn.  It's an incredible experience.  It would be a rough endeavor now as I'm near 60.  But back in my 20's and 30's it was a blast.  Learned to telemark ski there and have not been back on Alpine gear since.  

• Like 1

For the past year or so I've been getting my feet wet with ArcGIS for work and just through about messing around with some snow maps this year (guaranteed to be more weenie than the new GFS!).  Let me know what you think.  Obviously i have some kinks to work out still as I am learning more and more but figured it would be a fun change of pace to try it.

Snowfall Map_EXAMPLE.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LP08 said:

For the past year or so I've been getting my feet wet with ArcGIS for work and just through about messing around with some snow maps this year (guaranteed to be more weenie than the new GFS!).  Let me know what you think.  Obviously i have some kinks to work out still as I am learning more and more but figured it would be a fun change of pace to try it.

Snowfall Map_EXAMPLE.jpg

hey! i like it -- good use of colors and transparency. if you need any help or advice, please ask! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LP08 said:

You must be mistaken....T-2" should be the only color you need around DC. ;)

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Sorry Ravens fans, I need Kelce to score about 25 points for me tonight and the Ravens D to lay an egg to avoid going 0-3 to start my fantasy league.  

i too need the Ravens D to lay an egg, so I can further kick @H2O butt in our head to head matchup this week :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LP08 said:

A storm like that would double our total from last year.....I need some more colors for 4 sleet pellets to 50 and rain.

No kidding!  I think I barely measured 2" total last year, if I'm generously slant-sticking, hahaha!  And I damn near slept through the "biggest" (1" or so) event, too!! :lol:

• H2O unpinned this topic