Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter 2020

George BM

On 9/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, leesburg 04 said:

Some guy in Edmonton just emailed me and said based on the current look his winter is going to be better than mine. I didn't have the energy to argue with him. :(

Think of him in April when the temps will still be dipping below freezing and he's shoveling snow.  By then he won't be happy that he's still shoveling snow and he'll be yearning for spring to actually appear. 

The odds are extremely good winter is going to be better there than here if cold and snow are what you're looking for. 

(For the record, I'm from there.  The only month I haven't seen snow falling is July.   First major snowfall of the year is always a traffic s***show.  But there are occasional years when the snowfall is below average, sometimes way below it.)

28 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I would love to have a winter so severe and long I yearn for spring.  I’ve yet to see that happen here.  Maybe this year..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you here during 13-14? Seems like a rather prolific winter with little to no breaks.

Sucks that I have no recollection of that winter.. or 09/10.. or of 02/03.. 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

A thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters will write a masterpiece 

or not

They certainly can write Shakespeare.  I recently read a monkey random typewriter version of "Henry V".  It was amazing, almost as if ol' Bill plagiarized it!! :lol:

Oh...and typewriters??  Really?? :lol:  (Joking...I have fond memories of learning to type, on an actual old style typewriter, even before electronic typewriters became popular and well enough before word processors existed!!!  That was only shortly after having to transcribe things by hand, in ink...and in Latin!)

3 hours ago, BristowWx said:

I would love to have a winter so severe and long I yearn for spring.  I’ve yet to see that happen here.  Maybe this year..

2 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you here during 13-14? Seems like a rather prolific winter with little to no breaks.

2013-14 was incredible, perhaps the closest to anything "severe" we've had in recent memory outside 2009-10 and 2002-03  (though there wasn't any extreme cold...lots of snow though!).  It was damn near gate-to-gate events, lots of solid moderate events, no big HECS-style ones.  Even @Bob Chill said he was just about exhausted from tracking by the end of March that season!!  I actually consider '13-14 to be pretty damn close to, or perhaps slightly exceeding, '02-03, even with no HECS events...nearly a toss-up in my opinion between those two seasons.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cobalt said:

I was here.  Been here since 96.  That was a good season.  I can never get enough winter.  If it wasn’t for my wife who is perpetually cold in every season I would head north.  She thinks coastal NC is a nice compromise when we retire....I told her I will miss her and wish her all the best..we had a good run

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I was here.  Been here since 96.  That was a good season.  I can never get enough winter.  If it wasn’t for my wife who is perpetually cold in every season I would head north.  She thinks coastal NC is a nice compromise when we retire....I told her I will miss her and wish her all the best..we had a good run

I could see you complaining about lack of snow even on Tughill Plateau :lol:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I could see you complaining about lack of snow even on Tughill Plateau :lol:

I would take Deep Creek MD in a heart beat and never complain.  Perfect location.  You would not believe how much we argue on this subject.  She has no idea why I would want to retire to a cold snowy location.  I’m digging in on this argument. She buys multiple purses and I don’t say a word so she owes me.  You only need one f**ing purse.  I only have one wallet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BristowWx said:

I would take Deep Creek MD in a heart beat and never complain.  Perfect location.  You would not believe how much we argue on this subject.  She has no idea why I would want to retire to a cold snowy location.  I’m digging in on this argument. She buys multiple purses and I don’t say a word so she owes me.  You only need one f**ing purse.  I only have one wallet.

You may need a few more years of purse buildup to cash it all in for your snow globe retirement dream.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BristowWx said:

shoes.  its the shoes that will put me on tilt.  brown shoes, black, boots, slides, flip flops, open toe, closed toe, tic tac toe, high heels, low heels, middle heels.

I have like 2 pairs.  90% of the time I wear sneakers.  Those **ckers go with everything.  Sweat? yes. Jeans? yes. Casual? yes. Suit and tie? yes. Pajamas? yes.  If I had to meet the Queen of England guess what I'm wearing?  My Sketchers with memory foam

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Carroll looks to be the first county to push forward at the local level...Awesome. Hopefully most other counties will follow suit . I believe Md was one of only 7 states in the country with no start of  fall sports yet .

I'm glad for the kids! Hope your kids are handling virtual learning alright.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

2013-14 was incredible, perhaps the closest to anything "severe" we've had in recent memory outside 2009-10 and 2002-03  (though there wasn't any extreme cold...lots of snow though!).  It was damn near gate-to-gate events, lots of solid moderate events, no big HECS-style ones.  Even @Bob Chill said he was just about exhausted from tracking by the end of March that season!!  I actually consider '13-14 to be pretty damn close to, or perhaps slightly exceeding, '02-03, even with no HECS events...nearly a toss-up in my opinion between those two seasons.

Yea that was a good winter. The only thing keeping it from an A+ in my book was a solid 12"+ event. 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Wasn't there a Mecs/ Hecs Feb 2014 . Pretty sure but my memory isn't what  it used to be:D

I remember Gfs down to game time showed only 3-6" and Euro schooled it .

12-20 inches + I thought 

Feb 13/14 we had a decent storm come through. Baltimore ended with 15 inches, 20+ up here near me. 

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

Feb 13/14 we had a decent storm come through. Baltimore ended with 15 inches, 20+ up here near me. 

That's the only one I remember from that year. We had gotten a dachshund just a few weeks prior and for the first time we had to dig out paths for her to even be able to walk out side. Wouldn't end up being the first time in that few year span either. 

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

That's the only one I remember from that year. We had gotten a dachshund just a few weeks prior and for the first time we had to dig out paths for her to even be able to walk out side. Wouldn't end up being the first time in that few year span either. 

2013-2014 winter was fantastic up here, 70 inches for me

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Wasn't that the storm that Eastern areas went over to inches of sleet ? I had 12 to 14 inches of snow, then all sleet for hours and hours. Could have been 20 inches here had it not went over.  

1 minute ago, frd said:

Wasn't that the storm that Eastern areas went over to inches of sleet ? I had 12 to 14 inches of snow, then all sleet for hours and hours. Could have been 20 inches here had it not went over.  

There is always a warm nose that can limit snow for places east of DC.  One of the dangers for good storms is a super wrapped up storm punches in a warm layer that gets to DC and can cause sleet or graupel type snow.  i can always see a layer of snow thats different then that happens and cuts down on my totals.

14 minutes ago, frd said:

Went over to pure rain here after about 5" of snow. It was definitely not a good storm for most of the coastal plain.

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

There is always a warm nose that can limit snow for places east of DC.  One of the dangers for good storms is a super wrapped up storm punches in a warm layer that gets to DC and can cause sleet or graupel type snow.  i can always see a layer of snow thats different then that happens and cuts down on my totals.

That was always the danger that winter with the big EPO ridge but no help on the Atlantic side. Anything that amped up was going to track west/inland. That one tracked right on the coast so it brought in a ton of warm air aloft for eastern areas.

22 minutes ago, frd said:

yes, some places did. others did not. I never flipped.

32 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That was always the danger that winter with the big EPO ridge but no help on the Atlantic side. Anything that amped up was going to track west/inland. That one tracked right on the coast so it brought in a ton of warm air aloft for eastern areas.

I remember the snow melting and it was 50 degrees with rain after a half foot fell 

• H2O unpinned this topic