• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter 2020

George BM

Evening folks.  Recently bought a home in Alexandria.  First time in my life not renting.  Excited to install a WX station.  What are you all using?  I've got a remote, digital thermometer, but would love a station that measures wind and rainfall too.  Everything on google/amazon recommends this, but I'm hesitant to trust the algorithms. Appreciate any recommendations you have or testimonies.  Thanks.

Here's what I'm looking at RN.  https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WiFi-Station/dp/B01N5TEHLI/ref=asc_df_B01N5TEHLI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216545230264&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2692640445855453362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008185&hvtargid=pla-350685252410&psc=1

3 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

Evening folks.  Recently bought a home in Alexandria.  First time in my life not renting.  Excited to install a WX station.  What are you all using?  I've got a remote, digital thermometer, but would love a station that measures wind and rainfall too.  Everything on google/amazon recommends this, but I'm hesitant to trust the algorithms. Appreciate any recommendations you have or testimonies.  Thanks.

Here's what I'm looking at RN.  https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WiFi-Station/dp/B01N5TEHLI/ref=asc_df_B01N5TEHLI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216545230264&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2692640445855453362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008185&hvtargid=pla-350685252410&psc=1

You need to talk to @Eskimo Joe

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

I got the Davis Vantage Pro 2 about 2ish years ago and have been happy with it.  The quality is very good but I do wish their interface & indoor screen/console were brought up to date.  It’s pricey but IMO worth it.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WeatherShak said:

Having a weather station depends on a couple of things, the most important being where you live. Since you own your home, you can sight an instrument wherever you like and not worry about rules of a condo or apartment. The size of your lot and exposure will have a bearing on wind and precipitation accuracy. Stations such as the David VP2, which are great, are more complicated and require the anemometer to be sighted usually at a location separate from the rest of the kit.

I purchased the Tempest station from WxFlow the other week and it's been working great. It was $300, BUT WxFlow is offering 10% of right now if you use the code Tempest10off. This allows you to get better shipping and still come out around $300. I've linked my weather station to Wunderground (https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KMDREIST45)and so far the station is right in line with everyone around me.

I will say the biggest shortcoming with the Tempest from WxFlow is that you don't have a wall display like you do with other stations, everything is on your phone or tablet. If this is critical for you, then I would advise against purchasing this particular device.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WeatherShak said:

Have the Davis Vantage VUE wireless.  Performed flawlessly for nearly 10 years now.  That said, agree with nj2VA on Davis - their GUI is a bit dated.  The solar array on my VUE is clouding over and starting to loose its ability to effectively recharge the outdoor unit's internal battery. (no surprise there after 10 years).  A nice thing about the Davis family of weather stations is that about ever part on their different models can be ordered online.  The solar array is about $20, so I may just replace that and keep the VUE.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The cool weather and gray skies have duped me into a Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin bourbon barrel aged.

I have lost enthusiasm  a bit for the fall seasonal brews in general lately, but I will probably pick up a six pack of FD The Fear. Always liked that one. 

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale is another good one. Much rather do singles on the pumpkin ales, but not easy to find. I seem to get "fatigued" after drinking one or 2 of any one of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Having a weather station depends on a couple of things, the most important being where you live. Since you own your home, you can sight an instrument wherever you like and not worry about rules of a condo or apartment. The size of your lot and exposure will have a bearing on wind and precipitation accuracy. Stations such as the David VP2, which are great, are more complicated and require the anemometer to be sighted usually at a location separate from the rest of the kit.

I purchased the Tempest station from WxFlow the other week and it's been working great. It was $300, BUT WxFlow is offering 10% of right now if you use the code Tempest10off. This allows you to get better shipping and still come out around $300. I've linked my weather station to Wunderground (https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KMDREIST45)and so far the station is right in line with everyone around me.

I will say the biggest shortcoming with the Tempest from WxFlow is that you don't have a wall display like you do with other stations, everything is on your phone or tablet. If this is critical for you, then I would advise against purchasing this particular device.

Just seeing this.  Thank YOU!  Wall mount would be cool, but not necessary for me.  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 10:36 AM, nj2va said:

Speaking of weather stations, I'm moving my anemometer onto the pitch of the roof this weekend to hopefully get much more accurate wind measurements.  Since I'm afraid of heights, I'm having a local contractor do it.  :yikes:  Will be cool to track cold fronts in the winter here.

Assume by "pitch" you mean the ridge of the roof?  Or are you referring to the rake, which is the angled edge at the end of the roof?  Either way, if its not too late suggest giving thought to mounting the anemometer on a chimney if you have one.

If you're taking the step of hiring someone to mount it on the roof, assume accuracy is the goal.  Mounting the anemometer on or near the ridge or rake of a roof would subject it to the influence of the slope of the roof.  This could significantly influence the readings depending on the geometry of the roof and wind direction.  By design, the top of a chimney must be a certain distance above the roofline to provide ample draft and minimize turbulance.  Getting the anemometer way up there has a better chance of getting into more laminar flow and minimizing the influence of the house itself.

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Assume by "pitch" you mean the ridge of the roof?  Or are you referring to the rake, which is the angled edge at the end of the roof?  Either way, if its not too late suggest giving thought to mounting the anemometer on a chimney if you have one.

If you're taking the step of hiring someone to mount it on the roof, assume accuracy is the goal.  Mounting the anemometer on or near the ridge or rake of a roof would subject it to the influence of the slope of the roof.  This could significantly influence the readings depending on the geometry of the roof and wind direction.  By design, the top of a chimney must be a certain distance above the roofline to provide ample draft and minimize turbulance.  Getting the anemometer way up there has a better chance of getting into more laminar flow and minimizing the influence of the house itself.

There are guidelines out there for proper anemometer placement in regards to minimum clearance required from obstructions and following standard 10 meter above grade to reduce ground interference.  Problem is in 90% of the cases, these aren't followed and readings aren't respective of actual conditions. 

Even worse, most home weather stations have slow update intervals with synchronized sample rates.  Anemometer mass and bearing resistance producing less than ideal results even if location criteria are compliant.

It's easy to blame the owner for sure, but proper location is difficult and selection of quality instrumentation is out of (financial) reach for the vast majority of weather hobbyists. :)

RE: Chimneys...

The instrument pack needs to be sufficiently high above the flue egress to avoid the corrosive effects of combustion gases particularly if solid fuel (wood/pellets/coal) is used.

Also ANY mast needs to be properly grounded to avoid build up of static electricity.  This needs to be done in accordance to local codes.  This is overlooked particularly on wireless instruments as the thought of not having a wire coming inside the house means the mast is OK to NOT be grounded.  It should be especially in areas prone to lightning strikes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Got the wife hooked on fly fishing and caught my first two largemouth bass on the fly rod last weekend. Hoping to try Gunpowder Falls, Antietam Creek, and Beaver Creek next year.

I am catching strippers in the inner harbor right now.. casting gotcha plugs off the deck between the Ritz Carlton and Rusty Scupper... I saw two guys fly fishing last night there.. I have never seen anyone fly fish in the harbor but apparently it is a thing...

Not reading back, but saw fly fishing mentioned.

Picked it up while in college (Bucknell) and absolutely fell in love with it. Sparked me to even get a 9-wt setup that I’ve used in the salt.

I don’t do it nearly enough these days, but I would love to be near a place that made fly fishing worthwhile.

Also, I’d fish in a mud puddle.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Any Md people happen to catch the interview of Ben Shifrin - head of ( Jemicy school) on Wbal radio on Wednesday . It's a real breath of fresh air about the whole school reopening ordeal.  Whoever this guy is we need more of his type in our schools imo .  Here's the link . It's about a third way through. 

http://www.wbal.com/podcasts/channel/c4-and-bryan-nehman-podcast/a3b6287b-2bc1-4242-b817-9fe5b77bd90d

My wife doesnt let me listen to WBAL anymore.. but anytime I sneak and listen to it.. they are talking about this topic.  

• H2O unpinned this topic